Pale Moon launches twice now Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
TC[-]

Pale Moon launches twice now

Unread post by TC[-] » 2017-11-09, 01:08

Pale Moon now launches twice whenever I open it using a URL in the command line. To clarify, if I run "palemoon.exe foo.com", two Pale Moon windows will appear, each displaying foo.com.

The double-launching also happens when unrelated programs launch Pale Moon to display web pages. For instance, if I click "Help" / "Release Notes" in Thunderbird, two Pale Moon windows will appear, each displaying the Thunderbird release notes.

The double-launching does not happen when I run palemoon.exe with no command line arguments.

I'm using Pale Moon 27.6.0 (64-bit) on a Windows 7 computer. I believe the double-launching behavior started when I upgraded to 27.6.0.

-TC

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon launches twice now

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-09, 02:57

Welcome to the forum TC[-],

If you are saying that an external link (i.e. an email sent to you that has a link that will open your Pale Moon browser set as default) opens two instances of Pale Moon then I do not get the same result.

I just tested this by clicking on a Twitter email that opens up Twitter in your default browser (Pale Moon my case of course) and the link opens up in a tab as expected.

If you are saying the scenario you are talking about is that you have Pale Moon closed and then doing the same thing will open two instances of Pale Moon I'll exit Pale Moon right now and test for this and return to this post with my results...

.... okay I'm back, with a closed Pale Moon and clicking on a link (in this case a Twitter link) that opens Pale Moon I do not get two instanced of Pale Moon, just the one instance as would be expected.

So I am unable to confirm your issue. :eh:

I'm using Pale Moon 27.6.0 (32-bit) on a Windows 7 computer.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

TC[-]

Unread post by TC[-] » 2017-11-09, 04:56

Earlier, I failed to notice one thing: If there are no Pale Moon windows already open, then Pale Moon will launch only once. I get the double-launch behavior only when there is at least one Pale Moon window already open.

With that addendum, then yes, I am saying that an external link (i.e. an email sent to me that has a link that will open my Pale Moon browser set as default) opens two instances of Pale Moon.

Let me describe three specific scenarios that result in double launching for me:

1. External Link

I sent myself an email with this in the body:

Code: Select all

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17284&sid=d9c383eca970da7b65622de0cc087706
When the email arrived, I closed all instances of Pale Moon and clicked on the URL. Pale Moon opened once, to this forum page. Then I clicked on the URL again. This time, two instances of Pale Moon opened, both focused on the forum page (for a total of three Pale Moon instances where there should be two).

2. Shortcut

I created a shortcut on my desktop and entered this as the target:

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17284&sid=d9c383eca970da7b65622de0cc087706
Then I closed all instances of Pale Moon and double-clicked on the shortcut. Pale Moon opened once, to this forum page. Then I double-clicked on the URL again. This time, two instances of Pale Moon opened, both focused on the forum page (for a total of three Pale Moon instances where there should be two).

3. Command Line

I closed all instances of Pale Moon. Then I opened a command window and entered this command:

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" "https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17284&sid=d9c383eca970da7b65622de0cc087706"
Pale Moon opened once, to this forum page. Then I repeated the command. This time, two instances of Pale Moon opened, both focused on the forum page (for a total of three Pale Moon instances where there should be two).

I normally use several add-ons, but I disabled all of them before starting these tests.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-09, 07:41

So it does not appear to be an issue caused by an add-on and in that case I would suggest that you consider testing this procedure using a clean profile (if you are not familiar with doing this you can take a look at THIS post for steps to use a clean profile).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-09, 09:35

Actually, this isn't an add-on issue, but caused by an incorrect workaround for a session startup/new window issue. It's a browser bug that will be addressed in 27.6.1.
See Issue #1452
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TC[-]

Unread post by TC[-] » 2017-11-09, 14:46

I can verify that Issue #1452 accurately describes the behavior I'm experiencing. Specifically, when the double-launch occurs, the Browser Console shows "TypeError: newWindow.isBlankPageURL is not a function" in browser.js at 10801:12.

Thank you for addressing this so quickly. I'll look for the fix in 27.6.1.

-TC

Abyss00

Unread post by Abyss00 » 2017-11-10, 04:43

Since the 27.6.0 update all my Microsoft Excel hyperlinks now open with two Pale Moon windows. Hope this gets fixed in 27.6.1, I use these a ton.

If Pale Moon is not open, clicking a link in Excel will open only one Pale Moon window, but if Pale Moon is already open clicking the link will always open two windows.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-10, 11:06

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

wavymoon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wavymoon » 2017-11-11, 14:50

Similar behavior is exhibited opening a link in thunderbird email.
Of note I was having a similar problem with W10 file explorer opening 2 instances when clicking on a folder. I am a bit relieved that this was a different problem and not some crazy thing spreading... :shock:

I neglected to add when I use the 'open with ' TB extension to open in PM Private mode I only get a single instance.

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2017-11-14, 02:32

Having the same issue, will look for v27.6.1 update.

Abyss00

Unread post by Abyss00 » 2017-11-18, 04:09

Thanks for the speedy release of 27.6.1 that fixed this issue.