Pale Moon 27.6.0 breaks Citibank login Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Pale Moon 27.6.0 breaks Citibank login

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-08, 16:09

Citibank log-in currently works in all other browsers (These 4: Opera, FF, Chrome, IE11 were all tested).

In Pale Moon 27.6.0 I get the log-in page but cannot log-in getting this odd result (which is why I tested other browsers) in SAFE-MODE:
Citibank broken in 27.6.0.png
I was able to log-in the day before updating to v27.6.0....

Someone would need to have an account with Citibank to confirm. I frequently use Citibank so will apparently need to revert back to the previous Pale Moon build but will wait a while for confirmation from another Citibank account holder hopefully.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-11-08, 16:40, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon 27.6.0 breaks Citibank login

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-08, 16:16

This is what I get (very little) in the Pale Moon browser console that results in the odd website error (screen-shot posted above):

Code: Select all

https://online.citi.com/US/JSO/signon/ProcessUsernameSignon.do [HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily 215ms]
GET 
https://online.citi.com/ServerError.html [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 57ms]
Just picking any one browser that works i.e. in this case FF to see what I get in the FF browser console for a successful log-in (apparent issues but the log-in continues to work successfully as usual anyway - just as it had in Pale Moon in the previous version 27.5.1):

A form was submitted in the windows-1252 encoding which cannot encode all Unicode characters, so user input may get corrupted. To avoid this problem, the page should be changed so that the form is submitted in the UTF-8 encoding either by changing the encoding of the page itself to UTF-8 or by specifying accept-charset=utf-8 on the form element. Index.do:72:3449
A form was submitted in the windows-1252 encoding which cannot encode all Unicode characters, so user input may get corrupted. To avoid this problem, the page should be changed so that the form is submitted in the UTF-8 encoding either by changing the encoding of the page itself to UTF-8 or by specifying accept-charset=utf-8 on the form element. CheckTandC.do:184:2
unreachable code after return statement gmailnoads.js:146:2
NotSupportedError: Operation is not supported Index.do:72:0
Warning: attempting to write 10403 bytes to preference extensions.disconnect.blockedRequests. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file.
ReferenceError: s is not defined
 Home.do:12289:5
NS_NOINTERFACE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]
 vapi-background.js:3306:0
Use of getAttributeNode() is deprecated. Use getAttribute() instead. jquery-combined.min.js:19:6109
unreachable code after return statement gmailnoads.js:146:2
Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/ jquery-combined.min.js:35:1294
TypeError: context is null frameModule.js:235:14
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented instead. jquery-combined.min.js:21:1193
TelemetryStopwatch: requesting elapsed time for nonexisting stopwatch. Histogram: "FX_PAGE_LOAD_MS", key: "null"
 TelemetryStopwatch.jsm:297:0
NS_NOINTERFACE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]
 vapi-background.js:3306:0
Warning: attempting to write 10403 bytes to preference extensions.disconnect.blockedRequests. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file.NotSupportedError: Operation is not supported (unknown)
Thanks in advance to anyone who can further troubleshoot this issue. :eh:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-11-08, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2017-11-08, 16:40

Try a simple UAO trick. This one works for me after changing the default:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.9 PaleMoon/25.0

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-08, 16:45

CraigPD wrote:Try a simple UAO trick. This one works for me after changing the default:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.9 PaleMoon/25.0
Thanks for the feedback.
I've been using the following two UA Override for Citibank for some time:
general.useragent.override.citi.com to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.2) Goanna/20170101 Palemoon/27.4.0
general.useragent.override.city-data.com to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
So didn't think a UA override would help, especially looking at the error result I get, but I'll try your suggestion and post back....
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-11-08, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-08, 16:50

^ tried your suggestion to use the Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.9 PaleMoon/25.0 UA override (which I modified both UA settings posted above to) but I get the same result as before.

I would have been surprised if this solved the problem in this case considering the error I'm getting and the UA Overrides I was already using before. For the heck of it I changed both UA Overrides to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0 no luck....

CraigPD -- So are you saying that using Pale Moon 27.6.0, you are able to successfully log-in to your Citibank account?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-08, 17:08

I sure hope this can be fixed in a subsequent release (because I think this is what it will take) as I really do not want to have to use any other browser than Pale Moon just because a bank account I frequently use fails to log-in using Pale Moon :( (that has been working until now in Pale Moon for the 4th largest bank in the U.S. and top 10 world wide ever since I discovered this far superior browser :thumbup: ).

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-11-08, 19:44

Since a successful login from other browsers reports some encoding issues in console, this may be the cause:
http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml wrote:Added a selectable fallback character encoding of UTF-8 and fallback to UTF-8 as a last effort. (Issue #1423)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-08, 20:06

^ Thanks for the feedback, I was just looking at a few other UA Overrides I found in about:config that I had not noticed before that I have set for Citibank and just now found that the following change fixed the problem (so CraigPD was on the right-track which caused me to look into this further as I would have never thought a UA Override would have fixed this specific error message result when attempting to log-in, but it is a very specific override [online.citi.com] which apparently makes the difference):

By changing the general.useragent.override.online.citi.com pref setting from Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.2) Goanna/20170101 Palemoon/27.4.0 to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0 the log-in issue is surprisingly fixed :shock:.

I guess I should have thought about this since the log-in URL is: https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal /Index.do?Promo_ID=SPBL (specific part outlined in red that apparently makes the difference in regards to the OU Override for WER :eh:). I've noticed that the world-wide Citibank has in general used sketchy coding historically over the years, it is what it is with them. :roll: (i.e. some times triggering XSS event warnings from time to time, requiring XSS exceptions, that sometimes require corresponding ABE rule-set changes to maintain security :problem:).

I'm just happy to know that I do not have to use another browser than Pale Moon for this site, YEA!! :thumbup: :clap:

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-11-08, 23:22

Thank you Pale Moon Rising, for this post.

I had trouble logging onto my Citi account as well. I used this User Agent String for both citi.com and online.citi.com:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
After the change, login went fine on both URLs. Kudos!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-09, 00:58

LAR Grizzly wrote:Thank you Pale Moon Rising, for this post..... After the change, login went fine on both URLs. Kudos!
I happy to know the topic will be helpful for others with the same problem. I was surprised that a UA Override fixed this considering the error page I was getting from Citibank:
Citibank broken in 27.6.0 fixed.png
Citibank was throwing out a generic "We're sorry. Citi.com is temporarily unavailable" message :roll: just based on their apparent UserAgent sniffing.... :lol: Very misleading and clearly potentially confusing to users in many cases that do not use what they consider an "acceptable" browser. :thumbdown:

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-11-09, 01:22

Yes, sir! That error page is misleading, looks more like some HTTP error #500 page or because of an SQL problem...

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-09, 02:39

RJARRRPCGP wrote:Yes, sir! That error page is misleading, looks more like some HTTP error #500 page or because of an SQL problem...
Or that the site is intentionally down temporarily for the time being (considering the message does say that very thing "... temporarily unavailable....", which is what I thought at first (keeping in mind it's a world-wide bank so does not have any good time to be temporarily down for some reason) but that soon seemed unlikely which led me to check out other browsers. The fact that other browsers did not produce the same result but instead worked --- very quickly belied that conclusion however. ;)

smarti03

Unread post by smarti03 » 2017-11-10, 16:22

Could you please explain how to do what you suggest. I too have found 27.6.0 won't work with online banking site for Citibank, one of the largest banks in the US, used by many millions. I found this post about a UA override fix but it was written for developer types and had no instructions suited to ordinary intelligent users with some tech savvy -- and after an hour I am giving up on applying that fix. Could you please explain for those who have never before dealt with UA switching how to do this, step by step. I did try adding the extension, copying the string, etc. but got nowhere. Pale Moon has me frustrated and disgusted just now, but not giving up quite yet - it does have some good qualities too. Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-10, 17:35

The thing is, we already used an override for citi.com, forcing native mode. That hasn't changed between 27.5.1 and 27.6.0. So it shouldn't make a difference.

Having an override for citi.com should also automatically include online.citi.com since it checks the top domain first and applies overrides to any matching domain (which includes subdomains). So only 1 override should be needed.
I can adjust the override in place if desired to make it fake Firefox/57, but it may start to complain in a little while about "too old firefox" in that case.

As for how to apply the override: go to about:config, find "general.useragent.override.citi.com" (which should already be there), double-click it, copy the UA string below and past it in the value box, then try logging into CitiBank again.

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-10, 18:08

Hmm, I am now finding that the default UA Override works (changing it back to the default to test) which was not the case when this topic was posted.

I've posted Screen-shots to help illustrate how to get to the setting referenced by Moonchild above and follow those instructions (type or better yet copy/paste the setting into the prompt box you get).

First Enter (type) about:config in the browser address bar (left double-click on the images to enlarge to see better then click the back-arrow to return to original forum topic).
You will get this:
CLICK TO ENLARGE TO VIEW BETTER (click back-arrow to return to topic)
Then type what you see in the screen-shot below to get to the setting to be changed:
Hope this helps. :D I know it's a bit confusing the first time around, if you have questions do not hesitate to post you questions. ;) (if for some reason you do not find the setting post back, I had started a post on how to do this until Moonchild explained there is already supposed to be a default setting so the setting should already exist)

smarti03

Unread post by smarti03 » 2017-11-10, 19:58

Moonchild wrote:The thing is, we already used an override for citi.com, forcing native mode. That hasn't changed between 27.5.1 and 27.6.0. So it shouldn't make a difference.

Having an override for citi.com should also automatically include online.citi.com since it checks the top domain first and applies overrides to any matching domain (which includes subdomains). So only 1 override should be needed.
I can adjust the override in place if desired to make it fake Firefox/57, but it may start to complain in a little while about "too old firefox" in that case.

As for how to apply the override: go to about:config, find "general.useragent.override.citi.com" (which should already be there), double-click it, copy the UA string below and past it in the value box, then try logging into CitiBank again.

Well I won't argue your statement that "it shouldn't make a difference" but will simply note that, for whatever reason, in actual use IT DOES (even after clearing history, cookies, etc., and restarting). I just found a third party site where I could download 27.5.1 and for now the problem is deferred. My wife needed to pay the bills so couldn't wait. I hope PM can find/fix this as I'm now nervous about accepting any more updates, which isn't good. (And my thanks to PMRising for the explanation, but for now I'm going to stay away from UA override editing and those "dragons", at least for a while, and hope the PM code writers can fix this before I go dragon-slaying where I know I'm out of my element.)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-11, 10:14

Moonchild: since Pale Moon 27.6.0 the citibank UA Override will need to be changed from the current default.

So smarti03 --- Just to clarify, Useragent Override settings in about:config are sometimes necessary because of the website and is not a problem caused by Pale Moon. There are websites that attempt to impose restrictions on what browsers they considerable "acceptable" and have nothing really to do with whether the browser has a problem with the website. It is purely subjective on the part of those who design the website and not at all a reflection on the browser.

For example in my case I have either added or modified a total 27 Useragent Override preferences referred to as "user created" to help get around the imposed website UA issue. There are also another 25 more that are Pale Moon default UserAgent Override settings in my case. These websites by attempting to restrict browsers make it necessary to have these settings so that the website will work with Pale Moon.

I have tested for this and as of Pale Moon 27.6.0 you will get the following:
citi message without changing UAO for citi.png
for the citibank log-in unless you change the current default User Agent Override. This UA Override for citibank will currently work:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon) (for my Windows 7)

And btw, Moonchild is of course absolutely correct to say:
Moonchild wrote:Having an override for citi.com should also automatically include online.citi.com since it checks the top domain first and applies overrides to any matching domain (which includes subdomains). So only 1 override should be needed.
I had originally applied the modified UA setting to a subdomain which works too but is not necessary since all that is needed is to update the current citibank UA Override default.

So since Pale Moon will need a change to the citibank User Agent Override (which will presumably be fixed in the next release as part of the new default profile) you can wait for that in the next browser release or you can update now to version 27.6.0 and do the following detailed steps below to fix the citibank User Agent problem for the current release.

These are the easiest steps to "modify" the current default citibank UA Override in about:config.

First copy this: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0 (Pale Moon) --- by selecting the text (drag mouse over it and right-click on the selection) and click on "copy" from the right-click context menu (this will copy this text to the Windows clipboard) to be pasted to the current UA Override setting for citibank in about:config.

Step 1: Type about:config in the browser address bar, click the "I promise to be careful" button (about dragons) then type useragent.override.citi into the about:config search bar (both pointed out) to get to the current default citibank UA Override setting to be "modified":
CLICK ON TO ENLARGE (back arrow to return to forum topic)
Step 2: Left-Double-Click on the setting above to get the prompt box below
citi UAO modify 2.png (14.95 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
Step 3: Then press CTRL+V to paste the value you copied to this setting which will then look like what you see below and click the "OK" button.
citi UAO modify 3.png (14.6 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
You will then see what is illustrated in the screen-shot below
You are done, you can close the (about:config) browser tab and log-in to Citibank (using Pale Moon 27.6.0). ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-11, 12:18

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Moonchild: since Pale Moon 27.6.0 the citibank UA Override will need to be changed from the current default.
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Hmm, I am now finding that the default UA Override works (changing it back to the default to test) which was not the case when this topic was posted.
So, which is it? Does the default work or not?... Previously, Citi would refuse to work if presented with our normal Firefox compatmode string, so it's been forced to native mode since then. This didn't change between 27.5.1 and 27.6.0, so unless Citi changed something, it shouldn't make a difference which version you are on (unless their sniffing goes wrong with the native UA as well and now borks on the native one...)

I can change it to Firefox 57, which reportedly works, if that's needed. But please provide clarity which works and which does not, first.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-11, 16:51

Currently in Pale Moon 27.6.0 general.useragent.override.citi.com using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon) logs in successfully. :thumbup:

Currently in Pale Moon 27.6.0 general.useragent.override.citi.com using the default Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/27.6.0 renders this when logging in :thumbdown::
citi message without changing UAO for citi.png

Sorry for the confusion, to further clarify, the reason I incorrectly posted on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:08 am the following (in part):
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Hmm, I am now finding that the default UA Override works (changing it back to the default to test) which was not the case when this topic was posted.....
is because I had previously changed this general.useragent.override.online.citi.com to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0 so the log-in worked because of this in-spite of the general.useragent.override.citi.com set to the default (which I had changed back to test subsequent to your post) but as you have correctly pointed out it is not necessary to have more than the one UA Override setting that include subdomain(s) since just changing the default to the above (top line) does the job. :thumbup:

Bottom line: the UA Override for this site needs to be changed from the current default which fails to log-in as of Pale Moon 27.6.0.
Off-topic:
I would have struck out that erroneous part of my post on Fri Nov 10, 2017 if the currently imposed editing time-limit restraint had not kept me from doing so. ;) which would have helped avoid the confusion :think:

I had attempted to explain this in my last post but apparently did a poor job of it when I posted:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:And btw, Moonchild is of course absolutely correct to say:
Moonchild wrote:Having an override for citi.com should also automatically include online.citi.com since it checks the top domain first and applies overrides to any matching domain (which includes subdomains). So only 1 override should be needed.
I had originally applied the modified UA setting to a subdomain which works too but is not necessary since all that is needed is to update the current citibank UA Override default.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-11-11, 22:33

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Currently in Pale Moon 27.6.0 general.useragent.override.citi.com using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon) logs in successfully. :thumbup:

Currently in Pale Moon 27.6.0 general.useragent.override.citi.com using the default Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/27.6.0 renders this when logging in :thumbdown::
I will confirm Pale Moon Rising's experience. It's the same for me as well. The useragent string needs to be changed to enable login at citi.com. Changing it also allows login at online.citi.com. Without it, I get the same page, "temporarily unavailable".
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18