Search-bar, how to use different engine without changing default

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
UserPATRICKJANE

Search-bar, how to use different engine without changing default

Unread post by UserPATRICKJANE » 2017-11-08, 10:14

A feature I love in Firefox but cannot seem to activate, locate, or replicate in PaleMoon is the ability to use various search engines in the browser search bar without changing the default search engine.

Firefox writes "Press Enter to search using your default search engine, or select another search engine by clicking on its logo."

So I wonder is there is any way, or maybe it is already possible but I can't find it, to have this feature in PaleMoon where you click the logo to search with another search engine without changing the default engine? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ar-firefox

Is this something PaleMoon developers might considering implementing if it doesn't already exist?

:idea: :?:

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Search-bar, how to use different engine without changing default

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-08, 10:47

Keyword Search, version 1.1.8.3. Well, it's not exactly the same functionality. Perhaps there's another extension for that.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-08, 11:05

Is there any particular reason why you cannot use the smaller search bar to use different search engines.?.i do this without changing the default search engine.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-11-08, 12:10

UserPATRICKJANE wrote:Firefox writes "Press Enter to search using your default search engine, or select another search engine by clicking on its logo."
Well that's exactly what I do in Pale Moon (and I don't think I've done anything special to enable that):
search.png

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2017-11-08, 13:49

Since you’re using the keyboard to type your search terms anyway, you can use search keywords to select the engine you want. Open the search bar menu, at the bottom of the menu click on "Manage search engines", select the search engine you want and click on "Edit keyword", then type one or two letters, for example "d" for "duckduckgo.com". Then when you type a search you just have to type "d your search terms" to use duckduckgo.

Edit: this only works when you type your search in the urlbar, not in the search bar.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-09, 02:18

You could use SearchLoad Options Revived 0.7.4.2

It gives you this exact option plus a couple of others too. :thumbup:
Screenshot - 11_8_2017 , 7_17_38 PM.png

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-11-15, 00:00

Well, I use Keyword Search extension for that.

Basically, the search bar is configured to see Wikipedia (English), the default search engine for the location bar is Google and the about:home search engine is a speacialized HazMat database. That way, I enter a word in either field and am sent to the proper search engine automatically. If I want to search of a special product, I press Alt-Home then enter its name.

As a bonus, I can easily change the search engine used by the search bar; the other two defaults remain the same.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

UserPATRICKJANE

Unread post by UserPATRICKJANE » 2017-11-17, 19:10

Moonraker wrote:Is there any particular reason why you cannot use the smaller search bar to use different search engines.?.i do this without changing the default search engine.
I am not sure of any reason why I can't but I can't. So you are saying you can search with different engines without changing the default? How do I do this? The only way for me to use other engines is via the default. This is in the little search bar.

UserPATRICKJANE

Unread post by UserPATRICKJANE » 2017-11-17, 19:18

Falna wrote:
UserPATRICKJANE wrote:Firefox writes "Press Enter to search using your default search engine, or select another search engine by clicking on its logo."
Well that's exactly what I do in Pale Moon (and I don't think I've done anything special to enable that):Image
I have the same drop down engine menu, but when I click the image the search bar merely changes to that engine being the default then I must type in the search box regarding that newly selected default and then change back after I have searched with the selected engine in question.

Here is what FF looks like, I just click the image and it searches with that engine without changing it to the default:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-17, 19:21

^ As I understand it the two browsers work differently in this regard.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-17, 19:33

I set my homepage to DDG.
And then i use the small search window top right to search with either google or bing.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-18, 05:37

I just want to point out something, that there is no "default" search engine per se in Pale Moon, as NewTobinWave explains below.

"The mere fact is there IS no DEFAULT search engine setting…"
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

UserPATRICKJANE

Unread post by UserPATRICKJANE » 2017-11-20, 14:41

gracious1 wrote:I just want to point out something, that there is no "default" search engine per se in Pale Moon, as NewTobinWave explains below.

"The mere fact is there IS no DEFAULT search engine setting…"
Default, as I use the word, is regarding the search engine that is active, the last search engine set by the user, I am not talking about a factory default, I am talking about a user-set default. Perhaps this is a misuse of the world "default." Perhaps instead you could call it the user-set main engine. By "default" I mean the main engine, the.... :wtf: hmmm, operational engine, the automatic one in use, the user-set base engine? So instead of "default" read "active main engine" as set by the user, if that helps? :D If you understand my meaning?

The point being I don't want to keep changing engines when I search with a different engine to the user-set main, active, base engine. :mrgreen:

UserPATRICKJANE

Unread post by UserPATRICKJANE » 2017-11-20, 14:48

Thehandyman1957 wrote:You could use SearchLoad Options Revived 0.7.4.2

It gives you this exact option plus a couple of others too. :thumbup:
Thanks, this https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/searc ... s-revived/ is close, better than nothing, but still it requires having to press enter after selecting the engine, whereas when I click on the alternative engine image in FF it simply searches. So what I am doing in PM is changing the user-set default, but then this addon changes it back from the alternative I have just used. I suppose that is the best I can hope for, and it is very close indeed, so thanks very much for the help. :thumbup:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-21, 05:38

I'm not too familiar with the way FF does things, but this was the closest thing I could think of and I really like it.
Hopefully it will grow on you. ;)