Flash Player Required on Facebook? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
XhenEd

Flash Player Required on Facebook?

Unread post by XhenEd » 2017-11-08, 08:57

I just want to verify whether Flash Player is really required to play videos on Facebook. I always get a notification that I need Flash Player, which I don't have, to play videos. Thanks!

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Flash Player Required on Facebook?

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-08, 09:31

If and when i visit facebook i never use the flash player.I only activate flash for one escape game site and that is all.Videos have worked just fine for me on facebook with no flash running.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

XhenEd

Unread post by XhenEd » 2017-11-08, 09:48

Thanks for confirming that Flash Player is not needed. I now wonder why PM x64 asks Flash Player in mine.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-08, 10:59

XhenEd wrote:Thanks for confirming that Flash Player is not needed. I now wonder why PM x64 asks Flash Player in mine.
Have you disabled flash or is it set to "ask to activate."
Im not saying its not specifically needed but whenever i have used facebook(which is an awful website) i have never used or been requested to use flash. :D

Pale moon 29.4.1

XhenEd

Unread post by XhenEd » 2017-11-08, 14:54

Moonraker wrote:
XhenEd wrote:Thanks for confirming that Flash Player is not needed. I now wonder why PM x64 asks Flash Player in mine.
Have you disabled flash or is it set to "ask to activate."
Im not saying its not specifically needed but whenever i have used facebook(which is an awful website) i have never used or been requested to use flash. :D
Flash Player is not even installed, so there's nothing to activate or deactivate. ;)

VinceNooch

Unread post by VinceNooch » 2017-11-18, 22:25

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I didn't really want to have to install Flash, but I didn't know why it wasn't working. I just started using Pale Moon.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-19, 12:42

As time marches on flash will be needed less.
I use it exclusively for just one site and otherwise its not required or needed at all.

Pale moon 29.4.1

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-19, 12:45

Might also depend on the user agent you use, check the recent Facebook threads. HTML5 Media Tuner (no MSE for FB) might also be needed to prevent Flash requirement for certain FB videos.

VinceNooch

Unread post by VinceNooch » 2017-11-20, 16:35

Thanks for the reply. I tried HTML5 Media Tuner. That didn't seem to fix anything.

I followed the link you had for the user agent. I'm using the default one, but I tried the Trident one, that didn't help, but it did drastically slow the page loading.

This is the page the video is on. Can anyone confirm it loads in HTML5 for you?
https://www.facebook.com/nalaiandco/vid ... =2&theater

VinceNooch

Unread post by VinceNooch » 2017-11-20, 16:39

I just tried the Safe Mode test too. Same result. It still says I need to load Flash.

I checked and I actually installed Flash a couple of months ago when I got my new computer. but it doesn't look like PM is recognizing it.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-20, 16:51

I managed to play your linked video, but only after completely disabling all ad/content blocking for Facebook. No Flash required, no HTML5 Media Tuner required. My user agent for both facebook.com/fbcdn.net is the Gecko one, currently:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/20171114 PaleMoon/27.6.1

What you say about Flash shouldn't happen, Pale Moon can use Flash just fine. Close all browsers, use Adobe's Flash uninstaller tool and restart the PC. If you then need to install Flash, close browsers and install this version (NPAPI version). Beware of Adobe's optional offers/downloads/installations.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-20, 17:02

Also tried the default FB user agent override and the video plays fine with that, too.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-11-20, 18:34

Video plays for me.

ABL: enabled
Flash: ask to activate (did not ask me to activate)

using the default for both facebook.com and fbcdn:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (Pale Moon)

VinceNooch

Unread post by VinceNooch » 2017-11-20, 19:26

back2themoon wrote:I managed to play your linked video, but only after completely disabling all ad/content blocking for Facebook. No Flash required, no HTML5 Media Tuner required. My user agent for both facebook.com/fbcdn.net is the Gecko one, currently:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/20171114 PaleMoon/27.6.1

What you say about Flash shouldn't happen, Pale Moon can use Flash just fine. Close all browsers, use Adobe's Flash uninstaller tool and restart the PC. If you then need to install Flash, close browsers and install this version (NPAPI version). Beware of Adobe's optional offers/downloads/installations.

I wonder if it was a version difference. I was running 32-bit Flash before in my 32-bit FF, but I've got a 64-bit machine, so that's the PM I installed.

I ended up installing the 64-bit Flash, just to get that functionality back.

Thank you for all your help with this.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-11-20, 21:30

VinceNooch wrote:I ended up installing the 64-bit Flash, just to get that functionality back.
It must've been over a year since Adobe fused 32-bit and 64-bit as one installation package. I use 32-bit of Pale Moon(4GB of RAM Windows 10 Home 64-bit) and the video played, I did 2 tests being FLASH enabled and disabled but it still played.
If it won't play without FLASH, the problem is the codecs that Pale Moon uses from your Windows System.