Videos on CNN not playing Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Videos on CNN not playing

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-02, 23:58

Firefox isn't picking them up because Firefox no longer supports NPAPI plugins! only Flash as an exception and "internal" gecko media plugins and similar are still supported by Firefox. No unity, java, bank or other plugins are possible anymore in Firefox.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-03, 00:17

I've tried everything. Removing every bit of Firefox and palemoon I can find using revo and ccleaner etc.
If I download the web installer version of PM my plugin pages shows all the plugins. If I download PM from the links on PM site US download then only the flash plugin shows like how my netbook is (where cnn videos work) but cnn videos don't work in any case on the laptop. Not sure if there is a difference between 32 and 64 bit since I think webinstaller only does 32 bit and I'm not sure if i only dl 64bit from PM us link. Anyway, I'm gonna take a break..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-03, 00:47

The web installer does 32-bit by default with "quick install". if you want the 64-bit one, you have to use the advanced installation.

64-bit can only use 64-bit plugins. 32-bit can only use 32-bit plugins. In general, system-installed plugins tend to be 32-bit, which would explain the difference you see with more in the 32-bit version.

Even so, that really shouldn't make much difference for these CNN videos since I don't think the videos are delivered via plugins, but using html5 video instead.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-03, 01:18

Moonchild wrote:The web installer does 32-bit by default with "quick install". if you want the 64-bit one, you have to use the advanced installation.

64-bit can only use 64-bit plugins. 32-bit can only use 32-bit plugins. In general, system-installed plugins tend to be 32-bit, which would explain the difference you see with more in the 32-bit version.

Even so, that really shouldn't make much difference for these CNN videos since I don't think the videos are delivered via plugins, but using html5 video instead.

Oh okay, thank you.

So me seeing all those plugins in 32bit PM is normal and reflects the machine... it's not corrupted.

When I noticed all the plugins, I thought I was looking at 64bit PM but it was 32bit. I normally use 64bit. I had used the web installer quick install which I normally don't do as part of some clean install instructions I read somewhere. Normally I would grab the x64 version from link on site.

Yeah I noticed in trying various FF's that FF ESR 32bit also shows the same plugins as 32bit PM. So I guess they both show the relatively numerous 32bit system installed npapi plugins.

But me seeing just one plugin in the 64bit version of PM - the flash plugin - that is okay? Another member in this thread said there should be three plugins there by default.

My netbook PM only shows one plugin as well - the flash plugin - that one works with CNN videos - though I understand that the plugin situation likely has nothing to do with it- my laptop video issue is most likely an html5 issue. I just mention it because it is only showing one not three. My netbook originally had 32bit version PM when I posted earlier but I had changed it to 64bit to see if the video still worked with 64bit and it did. And then of course it showed just one plugin as 64bit.
Last edited by tenseys on 2017-11-03, 03:04, edited 8 times in total.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-03, 02:43

badnick wrote:I don't know why PM install only flash plugin to you. It should be 3 plugins by default.
Which three plugins are installed to current PM by default?

I just looked at your screen shot.

You have flash 27.0.0.130, silverlight plug in 5.1.5097.0, and VLC plug in 2.2.10

Flash I have - that was installed by default.

Are silverlight plug in and vlc plug in installed into current PM by default?

I think you have to do something specific with PM or your machine to trigger their installation no?

For example, for silverlight plug in to be installed into my PM, I had to log in to Netflix with PM and attempt to view a movie and then get offered the plugin.
So I got offered it and installed it. And now it is in my PM plugins. I uninstalled it from add/remove programs since I don't want it and now it is gone. I think silverlight is getting phased out soon.

And I imagine I would need VLC player installed and perhaps agreed to a plugin installation for that to be installed in PM.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-03, 04:07

FWIW, I have both the Silverlight plugin and the VLC Web plugin and don't recall installing either....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-03, 04:14

Pale Moon Rising wrote:FWIW, I have both the Silverlight plugin and the VLC Web plugin and don't recall installing either....
Maybe it passed to PM from an earlier installation?
Wouldn't you need the VLC player to be installed on the computer in the first place at some point to have it in the browser as a plugin?
I read on one site that FF at one time was installing VLC plugin without asking on installation of vlc player.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-11-03, 04:48

tenseys wrote:Which three plugins are installed to current PM by default?
All 3 plugins are installed by default on my machine. I downloaded also the unstable PM(portable) and there is the same.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-11-03, 13:08

Works fine on Windows 7, but I'm suffering a bug where I often only get sound from the left head phone!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-04, 11:46

RJARRRPCGP wrote:Works fine on Windows 7, but I'm suffering a bug where I often only get sound from the left head phone!
A fix for mono sound being played only though the left speaker on more-than-2 channel output systems (e.g. if you have native 5.1 mode enabled in your O.S.) is in the works. That is a separate issue and has nothing to do with the video playing or not.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-11-04, 14:38

Happy that the video worked fine and I noticed when on speaker mode, I don't have the problem. The only problem I had was unrelated. So Windows 7 seems to be OK.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-20, 21:10

I fixed this issue by uninstalling HEVCVideoExtension in Windows 10 Settings/Apps.

A couple of threads about it here and here.