Gifv videos from Imgur won't play

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Go_To

Gifv videos from Imgur won't play

Unread post by Go_To » 2017-10-31, 02:49

I installed Windows 10 Fall Creator update sometime ago, and afterwards, some of the features were broken in Palemoon 27.5.1.

Here is an example link that won't open in PM, but will open in MS Edge: https://i.imgur.com/RVDz5UZ.gifv

On a side note, I have also deleted the HEVC codecs that came with the update to try to resolve the video issues, but that didn't help.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Gifv videos from Imgur won't play

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-31, 05:33

Video plays fine for me using Pale Moon 27.5.1 in Windows 7....

Have you tried using safe-mode and/or a clean profile to test this site?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-31, 05:45

The video showing the cows and the small puppy dog plays for me using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.5.1 running in 64 bit Linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Go_To

Unread post by Go_To » 2017-10-31, 13:48

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Video plays fine for me using Pale Moon 27.5.1 in Windows 7....

Have you tried using safe-mode and/or a clean profile to test this site?
I just tried safe mode with all of the add-ons disabled, but the video still isn't showing at all.

EDIT: Also reset all of my user preferences in the safe mode, and that didn't help either.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-31, 14:51

I'm unable to reproduce the problem indicated in either Win7 or Win10 (win10 screenshot attached).
As you can see, I'm running the creator's update (15063/1703).

I don't think this is a Pale Moon issue.
Attachments
win10gifv1.jpg
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

likefunbutnot

Unread post by likefunbutnot » 2018-01-18, 15:54

I also see an issue here on Palemoon 27.x, in Safe Mode or with my full suite of browser addons enabled (Adblock Latitude and NoScript among them), on both Windows 7 and Windows 10. Imgur .gifv files simply don't load. I get either an empty black screen element or nothing at all, as is the case with the sample video the original poster in this thread linked.

The PC I'm using at the moment is a fairly generic fully updated Windows 10 PC with Office 2016, a variety of web browsers that each have several profiles configured for addons, Flash Player 28 NPAPI (disabling or uninstalling this does not seem to impact .gifv playback either) and Visual Studio Express installed. I haven't installed any third party media players or codecs, but if I use my Firefox or Palemoon browser profiles on a system where I have set up VLC or something like the KLite Codec Pack, I find that the issues are not resolved.

I don't actually think it's a Palemoon issue, but rather a question of what video codecs are being invoked. What I can't tell is where to check next. I will say that I looked through about:config for options related to .webm video and I've played with those settings. I've been looking in to this matter for several months, but since I want my primary browser to be Palemoon *and* I spend a great deal of time on Imgur, I really do want to find a fix. Since it appears to be broken for Firefox-derived browsers generally on my systems, does anyone have a suggestion for a tool for sorting out the video codecs as they are being invoked either by the browser or Windows more generally?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-18, 16:30

If you're on Win 10, it's a good chance the Windows WMF selects the broken HEVC codec. Try uninstalling that (see other threads on the forum)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-18, 16:50

Is there no way to tell WMF programmaticly to not do that?

likefunbutnot

Unread post by likefunbutnot » 2018-01-18, 16:58

Thank you moonchild. That fixed some but not all of the problems, at least on Imgur. I still see posts that load there as black boxes, but at least some images now animate properly instead of not animating at all or not loading in the first place.

taltamir

Unread post by taltamir » 2018-07-21, 23:31

Moonchild wrote:If you're on Win 10, it's a good chance the Windows WMF selects the broken HEVC codec. Try uninstalling that (see other threads on the forum)
No other browser has this problem, even if there is a broken codec this is the only browser that chooses to use it.

Browsers that work perfectly fine:
edge
internet explorer
google chrome
chromium
firefox
waterfox

browser that don't work:
pale moon

Seems a bit unreasonable to expect every pale moon user to be tech savvy enough to apply this workaround. So this is really something that should be treated as a bug.

edit: For something more constructive... I think the obvious solution here is to have a list of blacklisted known to be bad codecs in the browser.
Last edited by taltamir on 2018-07-22, 00:42, edited 5 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-07-22, 00:06

^ perhaps the milestone PMv28 soon to be released in mid-August (available now in beta4) will resolve this Win10 issue above.... :think:

... it still works perfectly in Win7 (formerly did in PM27 as well in Win7):
works perfectly in v28.png
... and is such a cute video -- has anyone tested in Win10 using the current beta4 to see if PM28 makes a difference in Win10?

Btw, I wouldn't remotely consider any one of the browsers referenced above over Pale Moon (or any other browser for that matter) -- I can do more with Pale Moon to get what I want in a browser than any of the other browsers, period (and it's safe to boot). :thumbup:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-07-22, 07:08, edited 3 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-07-22, 08:39

In answer to my question above:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:... has anyone tested in Win10 using the current beta4 to see if PM28 makes a difference in Win10?
I've probably got my answer here in this topic webM and Video Playback Not Working as similar video issues have been tested and DO work in PMv28 (currently beta) using Win10 that fail to work in PM27 using Win10....

So Go_To it appears -- presumably you can wait for the "official" milestone release of the stable Pale Moon v28 expected in mid-August to play the video or you can download the beta version now to pay these type videos -- it's up to you. ;)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-07-22, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.