Cannot Install Add-Ons or Themes Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gmusgrave

Cannot Install Add-Ons or Themes

Unread post by gmusgrave » 2017-10-29, 18:01

I just installed Pale Moon V27.5.1 64-bit to move away from FireFox, before V57 comes out.

I installed my first add-on, Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.4, with no problems.

However, I cannot install any more add-ons, or even a theme. If I try, I get an error that says
This add-on could not be downloaded because its origin could not be verified
This has happened for the following add-ons: Adblock Latitude and Pale Moon Commander, as well as the MicroMoon theme.

I did some research, and separately and together changed both services.sync.prefs.sync.xpinstall.whitelist.required and xpinstall.whitelist.required from the default TRUE to FALSE. This made no difference. In Tools=>Options=>Security I unchecked
Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
and, later, changed the Add-on security level to:
Off: No add-ons will be blocked (dangerous)
Neither of these changes made any difference.

I really had hopes for this as a FireFox alternative, but it is useless if I can't install add-ons from the Pale Moon repository! Odd though, that I was able to install one.

And, before you ask, I am trying to install them from the official page by left-clicking on the big green Install button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Cannot Install Add-Ons or Themes

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-29, 19:56

This happens when you paste a direct link to the XPI in the address bar (or open the XPI link in a new tab with e.g. Ctrl+click). This is a security measure to prevent installation of malware extensions through hijacked links. You should either install with a direct click, or save the XPI to your computer first and then install it from there.

Potentially :?: this might also be caused by Tab Mix Plus if it is set to open links in new tabs at all times.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gmusgrave

Unread post by gmusgrave » 2017-10-30, 22:13

[SOLVED] I did have Tab Mix Plus set to open all links in a new tab. I disabled this, and I can now install add-ons and themes. Thanks for this! That explains why I could download Tab Mix Plus, and then nothing else!

BTW, how do you install an add-on or theme manually?

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-10-30, 22:24

gmusgrave wrote:BTW, how do you install an add-on or theme manually?
Right click the download link and save the .xpi file to your HDD. Open the Add-ons Manager and click on the "gear" icon at the top right. Choose "Install Add-on from File" and point it to the .xpi file you saved.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-10-30, 22:28

Or drag the .xpi file onto your "extensions" window.

gmusgrave

Unread post by gmusgrave » 2017-10-30, 22:32

Thanks all, that's a big help!

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-10-30, 23:46

gmusgrave wrote:Thanks all, that's a big help!
You're welcome. Saving the .xpi files saves time if you ever have to re-install PM from scratch. You don't have to go to all the websites for the add-ons, just install them from your HDD.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

guycitron

Unread post by guycitron » 2018-04-18, 05:36

Can't right click to download XPI files from Mozilla addon site due to "requiring newer version of firefox". Can't directly paste file url into url bar due to previously mentioned malware protection (despite completely disabling protection in options?). Next idea is to download from other websites like CNET but I'm extremely hesitant to do so. Any suggestions?

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-04-18, 10:04

guycitron wrote:Can't right click to download XPI files from Mozilla addon site due to "requiring newer version of firefox". Can't directly paste file url into url bar due to previously mentioned malware protection (despite completely disabling protection in options?). Next idea is to download from other websites like CNET but I'm extremely hesitant to do so. Any suggestions?
this addon allows you to directly download addons from AMO that are incompatible with PM: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-tester-tool/