Video Will Not Play In Pale Moon. Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rogpmu

Video Will Not Play In Pale Moon.

Unread post by rogpmu » 2017-10-27, 14:56

I am running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on a 64-bit laptop with Pale Moon 27.5.1 (64 bit En-US) as my primary browser. This has NoScript 5.1.3, uBlock Origin 1.14.16 and Adobe Flash 27.0.0.183 installed as Add-ons.

Also installed is Mozilla Firefox 56.0.2 (64-bit En-GB) as my secondary browser. This also has NoScript 5.1.3, uBlock Origin 1.14.16 and Shockwave Flash 27.0.0.183 installed as Add-ons.

For the last week or so Pale Moon will not play video at all with a message appearing where the video should play stating, "We`re sorry, but this browser does not support this video. Please install Adobe Flash version 10 or later".

However, when using Mozilla Firefox there are no problems with videos playing albeit both browsers have the same setup even within the NoScript settings.
I have tried many options to get videos to play in Pale moon but without success.

Is there any way to resolve this problem as Pale Moon is my browser of choice and I don`t really want to change to Mozilla Firefox? :(

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Video Will Not Play In Pale Moon.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-27, 15:00

Please provide a URL you're having issues with and include the troubleshooting information as outlined in the stickies.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rogpmu

Unread post by rogpmu » 2017-10-27, 15:04

The URL is https://www.msn.com/en-gb/ and none of the videos to be found will play. Going elsewhere is the same.

Where do I find the stickies, please?

rogpmu

Unread post by rogpmu » 2017-10-27, 15:27

Am I missing something here? The green box with small arrow next to Moonchild`s reply indicates Topic has been solved when it has not. :o

PS. Was able to change topic as not being solved. :)

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-27, 16:50

rogpmu wrote:The URL is https://www.msn.com/en-gb/ and none of the videos to be found will play. Going elsewhere is the same.

Videos starts but after a very long delay (over 10-15 seconds)
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-28, 00:51

Video plays but it seems to be suffering from a lot of network latency causing a long buffering delay (probably because they pull almost all videos from the States)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rogpmu

Unread post by rogpmu » 2017-10-28, 07:45

Unlike badnick`s comment the videos do not play at all, no matter how much time is allowed for buffering. Badnick didn`t mention the message I get in my original post which appears, possibly, to be at the root of the problem,

The odd thing is that the problem has only existed for the lat week or so whereas there were no problems prior to then. Why the sudden change?

Also, why is that Mozilla Firefox will play videos without any problems whereas Pale Moon will not? :shock:

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-10-28, 09:46

No issue here on Windows 7 and 8 - The only thing is that there are a few seconds needed until the videos do play.

Windows 10 is because the way it is created an everlasting Beta version... :roll: Sure, you could turn off updates completely, but it is not that comfortable at all anymore in doing so as compared with older versions. So, depending on the quality of each new update, sometimes things break, sometimes they work. One more reason for me not to use Windows 10 - and that means, once Windows 7 and 8 are not supported anymore, i will move straight to Linux.

I suggest opening some report towards Microsoft in which you tell them all details you know about that issue.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-28, 10:31

Sajadi wrote: Sure, you could turn off updates completely, but it is not that comfortable at all anymore in doing so as compared with older versions.
I'd love to know how to do that! :thumbup:
PM last/64

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-10-28, 10:43

badnick wrote:I'd love to know how to do that! :thumbup:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off- ... windows-10 - try that guide, you have to scroll a bit downwards. Perhaps this still works :D

rogpmu

Unread post by rogpmu » 2017-10-28, 11:19

Sajadi, I think you are missing the point.

I do not see how it can be a Windows 10 problem because the videos play in Mozilla Firefox but not in Pale Moon.
Surely, if it is a Windows 10 problem Mozilla Firefox would be affected in the same way?

I am convinced it is a problem with Pale Moon. I have disabled NoScript and uBlock each in turn all without effect in rectifying the problem. :?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-10-28, 11:52

rogpmu wrote:I am convinced it is a problem with Pale Moon.
Pale Moon is not Firefox. The code base of what Firefox is today and what Pale Moon is are totally different, which means that Firefox is theoretically "more compatible" with Windows 10. So expect both programs work differently. Still, Windows 10 is truly an unholy mess of an operating system. Another point to keep in mind is that If Microsoft changes something, Firefox developers - as they have a way bigger team do have a more easy time in fixing stuff which was broken by Microsoft.

So, in an "ever evolving" Beta operating system like Windows 10 where the developers randomly breaking stuff it is hard to keep up if you have a small team, and you have to first know WHAT has changed by Microsoft to make it work again. Which means it is not necessarily Pale Moons fault to break when Microsoft changes stuff.And the more a program code base is optimized for a certain operating system, the lesser the chance that stuff breaks when the operating system creator changes the code.

So, i guess it is fair to say that Pale Moon works best on Windows 7, 8 and Linux and less with Windows 10. But there is also the hope that once it is possible to integrate the UXP - Unified XUL Platform into Pale Moon it starts to work also better with Windows 10.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2017-10-28, 12:03, edited 4 times in total.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-10-28, 11:57

badnick wrote:
rogpmu wrote:The URL is https://www.msn.com/en-gb/ and none of the videos to be found will play. Going elsewhere is the same.

Videos starts but after a very long delay (over 10-15 seconds)
I can confirm this with less delay (about 5 seconds).

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-10-28, 11:58

Sajadi wrote:
rogpmu wrote:I am convinced it is a problem with Pale Moon.
Pale Moon is not Firefox. The code base of what Firefox is today and what Pale Moon is are totally different
Well, "totally" is rather exaggerated.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-28, 12:22

Sajadi wrote:http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off- ... windows-10 - try that guide, you have to scroll a bit downwards. Perhaps this still works :D
I do it, thanks! I hope it will be effective. :crazy:
PM last/64

rogpmu

Unread post by rogpmu » 2017-10-28, 12:35

Sajadi, thank you for your explanation which makes sense of possibly why the problem exists in Pale Moon and not in Firefox.

@badnick. Do you get the message as posted in my original query when trying to play a video in Pale Moon?
I still get the message and no matter how long I leave it to buffer nothing happens at all with the message on permanent display. Very frustrating so I have changed to Mozilla Firefox as my primary browser.

However, I am hoping someone can come up with an answer to solve the problem as I do like Pale Moon.
Should I totally uninstall Pale Moon and try a fresh installation, albeit I have done an install on top of the current version all to no avail?

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-10-28, 12:53

The first part of the 25+ videos I tried from the video section each had an ad as the first part of the video, if that's blocked somehow, the video will not play. FTR, the only videos that didn't play for me initially were from Huff Post and GoBeats, but they played fine after I disabled my hosts file.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-28, 13:09

rogpmu wrote:@badnick. Do you get the message as posted in my original query when trying to play a video in Pale Moon?
I still get the message and no matter how long I leave it to buffer nothing happens at all with the message on permanent display. Very frustrating so I have changed to Mozilla Firefox as my primary browser.
I'm also on Win 10 ( but not on Fall Creators Update like you can see in this video). For me generally all videos work fine(youtube, etc, except some Facebook videos). And for your link where the buffering time is too long indeed but still I can play videos from this site.
https://sendvid.com/p3pcawpo
PM last/64

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-28, 13:44

But look how fine works videos from this link on Firefox 17. I consider this version the best Ff version ever, is lightning fast and reliable. I'm wonder why some dev's don't develop something around 17.
https://sendvid.com/gywggtpq
PM last/64

rogpmu

Unread post by rogpmu » 2017-10-28, 13:55

badnick, the video in your link posted immediately above plays in Firefox but not in Pale Moon. Unfortunatley, getting nowhere with this problem in Pale Moon.

Running out of ideas as I`ve tried to sort it out myself. :problem: