Pale browser not meshing with Yahoo after new updates & slow Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fr0zensphere

Re: Pale browser not meshing with Yahoo after new updates & slow

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-11-08, 23:43

Pale Moon Rising wrote: it is the "new" Yahoo version that does not always play well with Pale Moon. I found one of my Yahoo accounts switched on it's own to the "new" interface and it locked up for a short time in Pale Moon which I was fortunately able to eventually switch back to the Classic version within Pale Moon this time.
So, then, it's NOT the ads that are causing it? What could it be?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-09, 00:35

fr0zensphere wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote: it is the "new" Yahoo version that does not always play well with Pale Moon. I found one of my Yahoo accounts switched on it's own to the "new" interface and it locked up for a short time in Pale Moon which I was fortunately able to eventually switch back to the Classic version within Pale Moon this time.
So, then, it's NOT the ads that are causing it? What could it be?
It can be a combination of things including ads..... I would recommend just staying with the Classic version of Yahoo for now and try and avoid the "new" version in Pale Moon (the Classic version works very well in Pale Moon). It seems that Yahoo focuses too much on just FF, Chrome and IE (Edge) in general to some extent choosing to ignore other browsers (as exemplified by the Yahoo interface saying that one of these three browsers need to be updated when switching to the "new" version in Pale Moon, that is unless you happen to have the correct UA Override and even then I find the "new" Yahoo interface can at times hang a bit in Pale Moon). The Classic version works great without any hitches.... ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

mypacrat

Unread post by mypacrat » 2017-11-16, 17:21

Would love to switch back to classic, but the settings icon is non-responsive.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-17, 00:06

mypacrat wrote:Would love to switch back to classic, but the settings icon is non-responsive.
Welcome to the forum mypacrat,

You will need to use another browser than Pale Moon to switch back in this case (the function to switch back to Classic version can be unresponsive in Pale Moon do to the way Yahoo applies their "new" version).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Noomelap13

Unread post by Noomelap13 » 2017-11-17, 17:21

mypacrat wrote:Would love to switch back to classic, but the settings icon is non-responsive.
If I switch off all my Add-ons (NoScript / uBlock Origin) Yahoo offers to switch me back automatically.

If they are running I can switch back manually.

RedRamGT
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RedRamGT » 2017-12-08, 02:52

I changed my useragent for Yahoo.com, and it let me go back to the "classic" Yahoo Mail with Pale Moon.

Here is what I used:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0 (Pale Moon)

SenDion

Unread post by SenDion » 2017-12-10, 00:47

In reply to
Moonchild wrote:Yahoo should work fine, as said. I'm not sure why people keep complaining about it because I don't see anything at all wrong with Yahoo Web Mail on my system.
YahooWebMail.png
Operating system: Windows-7 32-bit
Exact version of Pale Moon: desktop 32-bit ver. 27.6.2
The problem: buttons (circled in red) are out of order
Steps to reproduce the problem: log into Yahoo Web Mail, then open a message
Expected result: a proper action is performed upon clicking any button (circled in red)
Actual result: no action is performed upon clicking any button (circled in red)
Additional info: a proper action is performed upon clicking any button (circled in green)
I want to thank to RedRamGT for the workaround: it worked for me fine. It is worth to mention that Yahoo Mail switched back to the non-classic version as soon as I restored the general.useragent.override.yahoo.com setting to its default value.

I am worried that at some point, Yahoo will force users to switch to the non-classic version (see the screenshot above) which doesn't work properly in the Pale Moon browser.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-10, 02:45

SenDion wrote:
I am worried that at some point, Yahoo will force users to switch to the non-classic version (see the screenshot above) which doesn't work properly in the Pale Moon browser.
I have a Yahoo email adddress. I don't use it that often and I've already deleted all my emails in the folders I created for Yahoo mail and then deleted the folders. Since hackers say Yahoo is an easy target to hack and Yahoo has been hacked at least three times that I know of, if Yahoo ever switches me to that new version of Yahoo mail (which looks like it was designed by a child), I will tell Yahoo to delete my Yahoo email account.

In this day and age, I have "never" met anyone who only has one email account. As for myself, I have three email accounts so losing Yahoo email is no great loss.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-10, 05:30

I use the Basic version of Yahoo email with a couple of Yahoo email addresses and I have no issues with it and Pale Moon.

I just switched one Yahoo basic email account to the newest version using the "switch to newest email" link in the account (didn't like it) and I didn't see any issues with it and Pale Moon in the short time I had it set like that.

Added: It seems there are three different versions of Yahoo email: Basic, Classic and New. Some use the terms classic and basic interchangeably but they are different. This caused me some confusion. I've always used basic without any issues.

When I updated my basic Yahoo email using the "switch to the newest email" link in the yahoo email account to test it thinking it would be the very latest version, it took me to what is known as Yahoo classic email. It looks like what Pale Moon Rising posted in a screenshot earlier which he identified as Yahoo Classic. What "cartel' posted as Classic in a screenshot earlier in the thread I believe is actually "Basic". Basic displays like that with uBlock Origin enabled.

To revert back to Yahoo basic email from Yahoo classic email in Pale Moon, I did this:

1. Click gear icon
2. Click settings
3. Scroll down settings window and choose "basic"
4. Click Save
5. Manually refresh browser window.

And that works fine.

Here is what basic looks like with uBlock Origin enabled:
Capture.PNG
Update: I updated one email from Basic to Classic again, and then I updated Classic to New with an update to newest version link found in bottom left of Yahoo Classic email account. So now I'm using the New version. The settings button does not appear to work. Anyway, I didn't like it much in general so I reverted this email account back down to Basic (new-->classic-->basic).

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-10, 12:57

@ tenseys

Your screenshot of Yahoo email Basic is what my Yahoo email looks like.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-10, 15:01

Night Wing wrote:@ tenseys

Your screenshot of Yahoo email Basic is what my Yahoo email looks like.
Yeah I've seen our email sometimes referred to as "Yahoo Classic" email but really it's "Yahoo Basic" email.

Yahoo Classic email (also known as Full Featured Email) looks like this:
Classic.PNG
Very different. Notice the try the new email link on bottom left above. Clicking that takes you to the "New" version which looks like this:
new.PNG
In the New version of Yahoo email the settings gear icon does not respond to clicks and doesn't open for me. It doesn't work in a new profile either.
Something's wrong with that.

If you want to go back to Yahoo Classic email from the New version in Pale Moon, you can open FF or another browser perhaps Basilisk if you are having the same issue as me with the gear button since the setting to go back to Classic or at least the one I know is there. Open other browser and go to Yahoo email account, click gear and then click "switch to classic mail" which will bring you back to the first screenshot I did (Yahoo Classic). From there you can switch further down to basic as previously described if desired.

I prefer Basic over both Classic and New in any case.

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-12-10, 18:04

Night Wing wrote:
SenDion wrote:
I have a Yahoo email adddress. I don't use it that often and I've already deleted all my emails in the folders I created for Yahoo mail and then deleted the folders. Since hackers say Yahoo is an easy target to hack and Yahoo has been hacked at least three times that I know of, if Yahoo ever switches me to that new version of Yahoo mail (which looks like it was designed by a child), I will tell Yahoo to delete my Yahoo email account.

In this day and age, I have "never" met anyone who only has one email account. As for myself, I have three email accounts so losing Yahoo email is no great loss.
Implying that users of a particular browser should solve the problem with that browser and a particular website by quitting the use of that website doesn't really reflect well on the browser... Ideally, the browser should fit users' desired usage, not the other way around. Mind you, PM is still my primary option, and I'm still a big fan! But I just think this isn't very helpful in a support forum, because it's not a true resolution of the issue.

Anyway, keep up the great work, Moonchild and everyone, in any case!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-10, 19:46

fr0zensphere wrote:
Night Wing wrote:
SenDion wrote:I have a Yahoo email adddress. I don't use it that often and I've already deleted all my emails in the folders I created for Yahoo mail and then deleted the folders. Since hackers say Yahoo is an easy target to hack and Yahoo has been hacked at least three times that I know of, if Yahoo ever switches me to that new version of Yahoo mail (which looks like it was designed by a child), I will tell Yahoo to delete my Yahoo email account.

Implying that users of a particular browser should solve the problem with that browser and a particular website by quitting the use of that website doesn't really reflect well on the browser... Ideally, the browser should fit users' desired usage, not the other way around. Mind you, PM is still my primary option, and I'm still a big fan! But I just think this isn't very helpful in a support forum, because it's not a true resolution of the issue.
In the post which you quoted from me, I never said I would leave the Yahoo site if I had trouble getting into my email when using Pale Moon simply because the Yahoo programmers are lazy and only want to support the Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge and Safari browsers. We have the work around to access Yahoo email by tricking Yahoo into thinking we're using a preferred browser when we're actually using Pale Moon.

What I did say was and it seems it went over your head comprehension wise; "I would close my Yahoo email account if the programmers at Yahoo who design the UI for Yahoo email, force me into using a Yahoo email UI, I dislike with a pink purple passion".

In your case, if you're going to quote someone, make sure you comprehend what your reading because reading and comprehending what you're reading are two different skill sets.

Hawkster

Unread post by Hawkster » 2018-01-20, 13:27

tenseys wrote:I use the Basic version of Yahoo email with a couple of Yahoo email addresses and I have no issues with it and Pale Moon.

To revert back to Yahoo basic email from Yahoo classic email in Pale Moon, I did this:

1. Click gear icon
2. Click settings
3. Scroll down settings window and choose "basic"
4. Click Save
5. Manually refresh browser window.

Update: I updated one email from Basic to Classic again, and then I updated Classic to New with an update to newest version link found in bottom left of Yahoo Classic email account. So now I'm using the New version. The settings button does not appear to work. Anyway, I didn't like it much in general so I reverted this email account back down to Basic (new-->classic-->basic).
Yay! Ta tenseys. Got it working thanks to you. I was in what you called New version (held out from it for long time but finally got annoyed asking me to switch all time). Yahoo mail would not work in PM in New version for me, as was not able to click anything. Always resulted in opening the email at top regardless what I actually had clicked on.

I was not able to follow your directions precisely, had to go to Yahoo Help and see actual image as I was not able to see "Switch to classic mail" at bottom. Nor would it scroll down past "More Settings" I could see at bottom. But looking at image in Yahoo Help, could see that I was supposed to be able to see more below, switched to full screen mode and success :D One of the last web pages migrating from FF to PM now works in PM. Less often I have to use FF, the better.