Pale browser not meshing with Yahoo after new updates & slow Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Elsibello

Pale browser not meshing with Yahoo after new updates & slow

Unread post by Elsibello » 2017-10-20, 13:21

Ive done the clear chache. I have done all of the "normal" processes one would expect to do. It still lagsout in Yahoo mail and wont open the inbox.
Can you guys please take a look at your code again.... Fix the bugs... Get this browser working smoothly once again.
It is frustrating to have told so many what an asset it is and then to have it acting like a college proect gone glitch happy. Thanks ...
Wishing you luck with it. Please keep us updated out here in cyber world as to your intention to fix this past updates ugh factor.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale browser not meshing with Yahoo after new updates & slow

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-20, 13:39

Not sure what your issue is with Yahoo mail, since it works just fine here. See screenshot.
Attachments
yahoomail1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2017-10-21, 07:10

The new version of Yahoo mail (per MC's screenshot) was working for me after the UA override was added in 27.5.1 but a couple of days ago when trying to open my inbox I just got a spinning throbber even though it said Done in the Status bar - perhaps that's what you were getting? I didn't have time to fiddle with it but after reducing the zoom a lot, I managed to get into the settings where there was an option to switch back to Classic, so that's what I'm on now and it works OK.

BTW, immediately after changing to Classic a 'Switch to the new version' dialog came up, but having got caught before by clicking on 'Try it later,' I just pressed Esc which removed it.

Looks like this has been caused by Yahoo tweaking something yet again!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-21, 09:41

I have no problems with the Classic version of Yahoo mail.

I prefer this version over the new version because with uBlock Origin the inbox fills the screen all the way across so you do not have the wasted spaced to the right that the new version has:
Classic Yahoo version fills screen all the way across.png
I've tried the new version and it works as well in Pale Moon. Either work, it all depends if you have the correct UA Override preference setting in about:config.... either version should work as long as you have the default: general.useragent.override.yahoo.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (Pale Moon).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-10-22, 06:31

Ahh! This seems to be what was causing my problem. On both of my computers: desktop PC with Windows 7, and laptop with Windows 10.

Yes, there has been a major issue with PM after the update: I have been getting insufferable lag on both computers. I was trying to see if it was caused by a particular website, and I found this thread. I tried closing my Yahoo mail tab, and it looks like that instantly made a difference. The Yahoo mail tab was not even "active", meaning that it was not the top or currently open tab in one of my windows. Now that I know the source of the issue, I guess I can just use another browser whenever I want to access Yahoo mail. (I believe I'm using the new implementation of Yahoo mail.) As the OP said, I hope this can be fixed.

If there's any further information I could provide to be more useful for analyzing/fixing this issue, please let me know.

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-10-22, 06:37

Actually ... never mind, I take that back. The problem is still happening. It seemed to briefly go away then came back. I don't know what's happening.... :(

I'll start another thread.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-22, 06:42

Just use the old Classic version of Yahoo mail.... ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2017-10-23, 04:47

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Just use the old Classic version of Yahoo mail.... ;)

I always use classic
2017097.jpg
ImageImage

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-23, 05:15

Use uBo with Classic and you'll get a full page across the inbox filling in the blank area you have to the right of the interface:
Classic Yahoo version fills screen all the way across.png

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-11-07, 23:32

Hi guys,

Did this issue get fixed with the latest update? I read through the release notes but nothing there specifically addressed it, unless, of course, I just don't know how some code changes would affect it. I'm afraid to try it lol...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-07, 23:59

Yahoo should work fine, as said. I'm not sure why people keep complaining about it because I don't see anything at all wrong with Yahoo Web Mail on my system.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-11-08, 00:22

Yeah but.... even if you don't experience the issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe only some systems experience it?

It seems the OP and I were having the same issue. It's difficult to accurately describe it because it's not a crash or an error message or something. I just know that I started getting very bad lag across all of my PM windows. This started happening after one of the updates (don't remember which one anymore). After closing Yahoo mail, the issue went away (although not immediately), and never came back.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-08, 00:30

fr0zensphere wrote:Yeah but.... even if you don't experience the issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe only some systems experience it?
The thing is that there's nothing that is wrong with Yahoo Mail itself. As found out in another thread the slowness is caused directly by yahoo's ads (which I block, because having foreign JS in the same document as my private mail is risky) not the web mail itself, and there's nothing the browser can do about that. So, if you don't want the lag, block Yahoo's ads in the mail interface.

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-11-08, 00:40

Oh really? Hm, that's interesting. Could that explain why the issue I was seeing was not happening 100% of the time but seemed to kind of come and go?

I do have AdBlock Latitude, so I thought I had all those ads blocked... Is there something I'm still missing?

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-11-08, 01:50

Off-topic:
Honestly, people, why in God's name would anybody be using Yahoo Mail, Gmail, HotMail, or any other nonsense mail with a big-company name attached to it? Try FastMail or StartMail. It costs a few bucks, but it's worth it. My brother's Yahoo Mail has been hacked/spoofed so many times I can't keep track of it. I've never had a problem with FastMail.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-11-08, 02:01

This is a support forum for issues with PM, not a discussion about pros and cons of mail clients. If the implied solution to a problematic website (which doesn't cause problems in other browsers) is to stop using that website, then that's not a solution.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-08, 02:22

van p wrote:
Off-topic:
Honestly, people, why in God's name would anybody be using Yahoo Mail, Gmail, HotMail, or any other nonsense mail with a big-company name attached to it? Try FastMail or StartMail. It costs a few bucks, but it's worth it. My brother's Yahoo Mail has been hacked/spoofed so many times I can't keep track of it. I've never had a problem with FastMail.
Off-topic:
I'm under a legacy plan with FastMail so for me it's only $10 per year for the basic service but now for new customers it's $30 per year and limited to 2GB so it's not much for the money when you think about it (I use POP3 to keep the storage limited, otherwise I'd tend to use up the 2GB in no time if it was the only Client I used). For those who want more bang for the buck (maybe not as fancy as Fastmail but gets the job done okay) you might look into VFEmail - you can get 1GB for a one time charge of $24.95 or you can get 3GB for only $15.00 per year (not much storage compared to higher end FastMail plans but will fit within the budget better for some users than FastMail). That all said, you ask why people use Webmail Services like Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, well probably because as bad as Yahoo is you have 1TB of storage available in Yahoo Mail and the last I checked 10GB for Gmail and at least 2GB for Hotmail all FREE.... that's a great deal of storage for FREE compared to what you get when you pay for it with the competitors of these three Webmail Clients

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-11-08, 02:53

fr0zensphere wrote:This is a support forum for issues with PM, not a discussion about pros and cons of mail clients. If the implied solution to a problematic website (which doesn't cause problems in other browsers) is to stop using that website, then that's not a solution.
fr0zensphere, it's called 'Off-topic' for a reason. What a concept!
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-11-08, 04:21

I have a Yahoo email account and I use the old Yahoo Classic Mail format.

I have no problems accessing my Yahoo email whether I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.6.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) or using 32 bit windows Pale Moon 27.6.0 running in 64 bit Windows 7 (Home Premium & Ultimate) on any of my four different HP computer models.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-08, 06:35

^ Yahoo Classic does not have any issues in combination with Pale Moon.... it is the "new" Yahoo version that does not always play well with Pale Moon. I found one of my Yahoo accounts switched on it's own to the "new" interface and it locked up for a short time in Pale Moon which I was fortunately able to eventually switch back to the Classic version within Pale Moon this time.