Tracking ?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
trencat

Tracking ?

Unread post by trencat » 2017-10-19, 10:44

Why is it possible that an owner of a site can know, that i am using Adblocker? Said NO tracking in options.... How did he question my browser?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Tracking ?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-19, 10:46

Very simple: if you block elements from loading, then the site owner can detect that the page doesn't have the element in it after it's done loading, and as such knows you're blocking those elements.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-10-19, 16:08

Is there a way to load but not display the elements?

Is there some setting (either in the browser or in the add-blocking software) that would load all that content, but simply collapse it so that the website would think I have it, yet I wouldn't see it?
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-10-19, 19:19

You can only hide content which doesnt the server know. But hiding dont block the request so you load the scripts, etc

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-20, 10:09

Thanks to the wonders of CSS, a site can still check if an element is actually displayed or not (collapsing it would make it a non-display item).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite