How to show tab close button on ALL tabs Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
kender42

How to show tab close button on ALL tabs

Unread post by kender42 » 2017-10-18, 19:23

I have read many links here and none of them work. I can't find userChrome.css (except in the firefox folder) at all and there is no chrome folder in any folders relating to PaleMoon. In the about:config I set browser.tabs.closeButtons to 0 and TabMixPlus tabclosebutton setting to 3 as suggested but the close button never appears on the tabs ever. Tried removing TMP and setting browser.tabs.closeButtons back to 1 and set at 3 and get same result, no tab close button appearing on the tabs themselves. How do I fix this to show the close button on all my tabs?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: How to show tab close button on ALL tabs

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-18, 19:54

Are you saying that you do not get an "X" close button on your "Active" tab?
active tab does not have close X BUTTON.png
The reason I ask is because if you have a lot of tabs you will not see the Close button unless the tab is "Active" (notice because I have a lot of tab the tabs on either side do not have the close button since not an "Active" tab). If you only have a few tabs then the close button should display in each tab (all tabs). This is because if you have a lot of tabs then there is limited space on the tab to identify it with text so the close tab will only display for the tab you have open (active tab) in the event of a lot of tabs.

How many tabs do you have when you do not see the close button on your tabs? Or are you saying you never see the close button at any time even with just a few tabs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-10-18, 20:49

kender42 wrote:How do I fix this to show the close button on all my tabs?
I don't know how Tab Mix Plus might affect this, as I don't use it.
But setting TMP aside, you *should* be able to affect the display of tab close buttons using two settings in about:config.

Set browser.tabs.closeButtons to its default value of 1
and
Reduce the value of browser.tabs.tabClipWidth to something less than its default of 140 (pixels), based on your taste.
To make certain there will always be a close button no matter how narrow your tabs are, set it to 0.

Restart the browser for changes to take effect.

Also see:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.tabClipWidth
and
http://xref.palemoon.org/palemoon-trunk/source/browser/app/profile/palemoon.js#436

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-10-19, 00:25

I use TMP and have a close button on all tabs. PM 27.5.1.

This broke on a recent upgrade.

What worked for me was going to TMP options / display / tab and unticking the close button option. Apply.

Then reverse the process.

kender42

Unread post by kender42 » 2017-10-19, 02:14

Even with only one tab open and the tab close button setting set to 1 and the tab width set to 0 I still can't see the tab close button.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-19, 02:31

kender42 wrote:Even with only one tab open and the tab close button setting set to 1 and the tab width set to 0 I still can't see the tab close button.
It didn't help to try the suggestion below (posted above)?
doofy wrote:.... to TMP options / display / tab and unticking the close button option. Apply. Then reverse the process.
When did this problem start (at Pale Moon 27.5.1)?
What theme are you using in Pale Moon?
Have you tried Pale Moon "safe-mode"? (Help>Restart with Add-ons Disabled....)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-10-19, 07:18

TMP can put the X on all tabs. I set my tabs to 100 max and min so that the mouse can just be repeatedly clicked to close a number of tabs and doesn't have to be moved.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2017-10-19, 07:33

about:config
browser.tabs.closeButtons = 1 - default: show on all tabs
browser.tabs.closeButtons = 2 -don`t show close button
browser.tabs.closeButtons = 3 - show close button on tabs panel (closing active tab)

kender42

Unread post by kender42 » 2017-10-19, 16:30

No matter what number I set the tab close button setting at it doesn't show the tab close button.

[edit] If I knew how to post an image here I would show you, but there is no attachment button for this.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-19, 16:52

kender42 wrote:No matter what number I set the tab close button setting at it doesn't show the tab close button.

[edit] If I knew how to post an image here I would show you, but there is no attachment button for this.
You do not get an attachment button rendered when entering a post in forum as illustrated below in the screen-shot?
You do not get an attachment button rendered when entering a post in forum.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-19, 17:01

Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-19, 17:13

badnick wrote:Read careful here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15326&p=110740#p110740
OP is saying this (about 7 posts above):
kender42 wrote:Even with only one tab open and the tab close button setting set to 1 and the tab width set to 0 I still can't see the tab close button.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-19, 17:40

Strange.
I have "browser.tabs.closeButtons" set to 1
"browser.tabs.tabClipWidth" set to 0
And is workihng for me.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-19, 18:15

badnick wrote:Strange.
I have "browser.tabs.closeButtons" set to 1
"browser.tabs.tabClipWidth" set to 0
And is workihng for me.
It is strange, what should work isn't for the OP.... :crazy:

kender42

Unread post by kender42 » 2017-10-20, 22:37

This is the first I have ever used PaleMoon and I have 27.5.1 64-bit running on win 7 64-bit

kender42

Unread post by kender42 » 2017-10-20, 22:38

And to everyone that has asked yes I have tried all of your suggestions and still with the same result of no tab close button.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-21, 03:08

This is strange, I also have the same W7 with the same 64bit PM 27.5.1

My "browser.tabs.tabClipWidth" set to 140
My "browser.tabs.closeButtons" set to 1

I use Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.4

And my setting for the close button is,
Screenshot - 10_20_2017 , 7_56_09 PM.png
I do have Tree style tabs but even when turned off I still get the close button.
Screenshot - 10_20_2017 , 7_57_30 PM.png
So you have used a new profile? Used in safe mode? Re-installed the program with new profile? Not using any type of theme?

Have you tried TMP?

I would say that if you have done all of these things then perhaps you might try creating a new user account on your
windows machine, it's super easy and install PM on that and see if that fixes it.

Sometimes when all else fails, try something most would not think of. The only reason I say this is because I just went through
this with another issue that took me three days to figure out in the end I found out that user account was corrupted.
Creating the new user account fixed all of my problems.
Don't know how it happened but it did. You have nothing to lose and it takes only a few minutes to try. :angel:

Sure, it's a total pain in the ass if you have a bunch of stuff to move if it is corrupted.
But if you do have a corrupted account it will cause all sorts of stupid things on other stuff down the road too.

kender42

Unread post by kender42 » 2017-10-21, 17:52

I tried a clean install and still nothing. But in a random event, my audio driver failed today and after reinstalling the default windows audio driver now all tabs have a close button showing, but when I reinstalled the audio driver for my sound card all the close tab buttons disappeared again. Is this normal, to have a visual thing linked to an audio driver?

audio driver is Intel SRS Premium Sound Pro.

[edit]
Very weird, just opened up the browser again and now they're all back :shock:
Last edited by kender42 on 2017-10-21, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-21, 18:10

I can't see how an audio driver would have any impact on browser tab functions....

Have you done a system reboot after installing the sound card audio driver?

kender42

Unread post by kender42 » 2017-10-21, 19:21

Pale Moon Rising wrote:....Have you done a system reboot after installing the sound card audio driver?
I did. Just edited my last post to update the weird situation. Probably should have made a new post.