Unable to access aticles on ZDNet Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MGA74

Unable to access aticles on ZDNet

Unread post by MGA74 » 2017-10-18, 09:24

I am running Pale Moon 27.5.1 under Windows 7.

For the last few days I have been unable to access the articles in www.zdnet.com/blog/jamies-mostly-linux-stuff/

I can access the first page listing the blogs but when I try to access one I (eventually) receive the message 'The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading'.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? The site works perfectly with Firefox 56.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Unable to access aticles on ZDNet

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-18, 10:31

I don't seem to have any issues with this site.

Have you tried clearing Cache (in PM Options>Advanced>Network) and the Cookies for this site (you can clear cookies for the specific ZDnet website THIS way, just be sure you are on ZDnet website instead of the FB example)?

You might try starting your Windows 7 in "Safe Mode with Networking" by pressing the F8 key right when Windows starts to do this and see if this makes a difference.

Have you tried resetting your network?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-18, 11:55

One other thing (not sure if this would help or not :think:), you could try un-ticking (disabling) "Use hardware acceleration when available" in PM Options>Advanced>General to see if this might help with your issue on this site....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-20, 11:22

Opening the actual articles indeed fails; this seems to be purely a server-side issue, though. The connection is made, the browser waits for data, and eventually, when nothing comes, the connection gets reset by the server.

EDIT: Looks like it may be a way to force people to disable their adblocker. If I disable ABL, reload the main page, and go from there, it works just fine.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-10-20, 11:46

Site works fine here with uBlock Origin

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-20, 11:51

Works for me (Win 10 + uBO)
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

MGA74

Re: Unable to access articles on ZDNet

Unread post by MGA74 » 2017-10-20, 13:02

First of all, my thanks to those who have replied (and apologies for the typo in the Heading).

What I have done, without any success:

- Cleared Cache
- Tried Windows 7 in Safe Mode and Networking
- Disabled 'Use hardware acceleration'
- Disabled ABL on ZDNet

BUT

I now find that with ABL disabled, clicking on an advertisement has, about 50% of the time but 100% with a Royal British Legion Ad, brought up the advert. No access to any blog. Strange!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-20, 15:24

dark_moon wrote:Site works fine here with uBlock Origin
As I've posted it works fine for me too and yes I use uBo as well (not ABL like OP).

With the OP using safe-mode this should have removed the possibility of any add-on interference however. :think:

Hmm, MGA74 - have you tried testing this site using a clean Pale Moon profile? If you are not familiar with this, take a look at THIS post.)

MGA74

Re: Unable to access articles on ZDNet

Unread post by MGA74 » 2017-10-20, 18:11

Pale Moon Rising,

I have just tried with a clean profile and the result is the same, no access to the blogs.

I could access some advertisements, one by MS and the other by Google, but others were inaccessible and these seem to be hosted by doubleclick.net.

Thank you for your continuing support.

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2017-10-26, 18:28

Any ideas? The problem still exists. With ABL disabled, I can click on adverts and view their contents but I am unable to access any of the blogs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-27, 12:18

No idea, TBH. The only thing that might get in the way would be system-wide things like your hosts file if it's used for blocking (a risky choice).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2017-11-19, 18:24

Pale Moon Rising,

I have solved the problem by eventually trying your suggestion to clear the ZDNet cookies. The next time I accessed the site things worked normally. Odd!
Many thanks.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-11-20, 01:48

Moonchild wrote:Opening the actual articles indeed fails; this seems to be purely a server-side issue, though. The connection is made, the browser waits for data, and eventually, when nothing comes, the connection gets reset by the server.

EDIT: Looks like it may be a way to force people to disable their adblocker. If I disable ABL, reload the main page, and go from there, it works just fine.
I seen that message before with an internet outage, so there was no server to send that signal, LOL. And if that is some anti-ad-blocker, then it looks like it's a firewall rule on their server.