Some drop down menus not active in PM

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
parpfish II

Some drop down menus not active in PM

Unread post by parpfish II » 2017-10-15, 20:31

Hi all,

I've noticed one or two websites whose drop down menu options don't respond on Pale Moon (latest version) - these menus do work on Opera. I've tested this in safe mode and no change.

Be interesting if someone can reproduce this (I'm on PM x64 portable):

- Go here: https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/outdoor-jackets/
- See the " Sorting Most popular v " (drop down)
- Click on "Most Popular" (to activate the drop down) and select "Best Discount" from the drop down menu
- Nothing happens (no change to the sort and just a dead menu).

In latest Opera it works fine (sorts according to option selected).

Here's their code:

Code: Select all

<select id="listorderby" name="listorderby" style="display: none;">
<option value="">Most popular</option>
<option value="oxvarminprice asc" data-ga-event="list_locator, sort_by_Lowest price, position_top,undefined,bfNonInteraction">Lowest price</option>
<option value="oxvarminprice desc" data-ga-event="list_locator, sort_by_Highest price, position_top,undefined,bfNonInteraction">Highest price</option>
<option value="bfdiscountpercent desc" data-ga-event="list_locator, sort_by_Best discount, position_top,undefined,bfNonInteraction">Best discount</option>
<option value="oxrating desc" data-ga-event="list_locator, sort_by_Top ratings, position_top,undefined,bfNonInteraction">Top ratings</option>
<option value="oxtitle asc" data-ga-event="list_locator, sort_by_Brand, position_top,undefined,bfNonInteraction">Brand</option>
<option value="oxinsert desc" data-ga-event="list_locator, sort_by_Newest on top, position_top,undefined,bfNonInteraction">Newest on top</option>
</select>
My Pale Moon setup:
Name Pale Moon
Version 27.5.1
Build ID 20171007103905
Update History
Update Channel default
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.3 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.5.1
OS Windows_NT 6.1
Safe Mode true
Hope that helps - I assume the bug is with AlpineTrek, but who knows.

P2.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Some drop down menus not active in PM

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-15, 22:07

I have no idea why but I was able to successfully click on the "Best discount" drop-down link and get that page:
drop-down worked.png
but only that one time, all subsequent attempts fail (do nothing) when attempting to use the drop-down list.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-10-15, 22:08

Works as expected for me using Native mode.

EDIT: as above, works one time only, puzzling.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-15, 22:19

^ I'm using "native" mode as well.... for some reason works one-time as stated.... :? (clearing cookies, clearing cache, refreshing page etc, does not help).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

parpfish II

Unread post by parpfish II » 2017-10-16, 00:54

Just tested again and at least you got it to work first time - for me, not at all.
Win 7 x64 Ultimate - doubt that's anything to do with it.
Possibly due to portable versus proper install?

I have no idea. What I do know is that page never seems to load completely -- lots of marketing tracking and stuff by the looks of it.

Interesting that it works okay in Opera. Anyone use firefox, chrome?

P2.

EDIT: It's a JS issue, but I have no idea what PM is doing differently from Opera.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-16, 01:42

parpfish II wrote: .... Interesting that it works okay in Opera. Anyone use firefox, chrome?....
I can confirm the drop-down choices do work in Opera as you say.... FWIW the drop-down choices also work in Chrome, in FF could not even get the page itself to load enough to where I could try the drop-down choices (refresh didn't help either) and the drop-down choices do not work at all in IE11 (same result as you get in PM).
Off-topic:
While it is absolutely unthinkable to even consider swapping PM for either of the two browsers that the drop-downs do work on, it's worth noting that Opera and Chrome both use the same Blink engine :think:

parpfish II

Unread post by parpfish II » 2017-10-16, 04:16

Yeah I like PM and I like the fact that it strictly adheres to the standards. I use the Browser View Plus add-on to open problematic sites in Opera from PM - but it would be good to find out if this is a PM bug or just dodgy scripts by AlpineTrek - there's certainly loads of stuff going on loading their pages (much of it unnecessary marketing crap I imagine).

P2.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-10-16, 04:49

Throws an error in Browser Console:

Code: Select all

TypeError: document.body.append is not a function
bf_trustedshop-2d0837d8b4.js:1:70
You try the latest unstable version (it works for me), see also Issue #1411.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-10-16, 07:02

It works in the latest Cyberfox and in Fx 57.
In PM I get the same inability to select from the list.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.