Is there a way to override the menu font text color? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
NoelC

Is there a way to override the menu font text color?

Unread post by NoelC » 2017-10-14, 15:52

I have kind of a unique setup, where I have resurrected Aero Glass on a Win 8.1 system and have overridden the default theme with a 3rd party theme.

The 3rd party theme may be where Pale Moon is getting its font color from, since most Windows applications display their menus on a light background. But in this case Pale Moon is rendering its font text over the top of a now translucent background, so the gray or black text is hard to read.

Here, it's easier to show than to tell...

The menus would be most visible for me when the application is current or is in the background if I could just set the menu font to be white. I'd prefer to do that vs. making the backing of the menu bar opaque.

Is there a configuration override somewhere that can be used to set the Pale moon menu bar font (and only just that) to be white? I searched through about:config and didn't turn up any obvious candidates.

Thanks.

-Noel

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Is there a way to override the menu font text color?

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-14, 16:09

Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

NoelC

Unread post by NoelC » 2017-10-14, 16:10

By the way, I have it looking a little better on a similarly tweaked Win 10 system by virtue of the fact that the system is willing to direct Pale Moon to put up a white menu font when Pale Moon has focus, but I could still use the ability to override the menu font color when the application is not focused...

-Noel

NoelC

Unread post by NoelC » 2017-10-14, 16:12

Thanks. For security and other reasons I'm not a big fan of adding executable software to do something that could possibly be done with a tweak to a setting... Is the structure of the application such that this is the only way to change the font color?

-Noel

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-14, 16:22

I don't know if this is the only way but whatever modification will be to change something in paleMoon isn't that a modification in his code? :wtf:
I use this addon from a long time and never had problems.
PM last/64

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2017-10-14, 16:51

in userChrome.css

Code: Select all

menubar#main-menubar > menu {
	color: #F5F5F5 !important;
	text-shadow: 2px 1px 2px #000 !important;
	}

menubar#main-menubar > menu:hover {
	color: #FFFF00 !important;
	}

NoelC

Unread post by NoelC » 2017-10-14, 19:57

Badnick, I tried the plug-in and it made all the text white, even the text in the dialogs. I need only the menu text to change.

Thanks for the suggestion, jars_. The documentation for UserChrome.css says to put it in "the profile folder", and gives specific examples for Mozilla. The about:support page lists my folder as:

"C:\Users\NoelC\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\bsl9ga0q.default"

Putting the following userChrome.css file in that folder made no difference whatsoever in the color of the menu text.

menubar#main-menubar > menu {
   color: #FFFFFF !important;
   }

menubar#main-menubar > menu:hover {
   color: #FFFFFF !important;
   }
-Noel

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2017-10-14, 20:10

The documentation for UserChrome.css says to put it in "the profile folder"
%profile folder%\chrome\userChrome.css

In your case:

"C:\Users\NoelC\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\bsl9ga0q.default\chrome\userChrome.css"

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-14, 20:31

NoelC wrote:Badnick, I tried the plug-in and it made all the text white, even the text in the dialogs. I need only the menu text to change.
You have to select a color from the addon menu. But yes that change the color of the entire UI fonts .
PM last/64

NoelC

Unread post by NoelC » 2017-10-16, 02:10

jars_ wrote: %profile folder%\chrome\userChrome.css
Thank you, that was exactly it.

Now the menu headings are highly readable.

-Noel