How to force new window to open home page instead of blank page? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fr0zensphere

How to force new window to open home page instead of blank page?

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-10-09, 22:21

This behavior changed with the latest PM update. I have the Speed Dial extension, which I really like. In the past, both new tabs and new PM windows always opened with the Speed Dial page, which is also my home page. Now, whenever I open a new window, it shows a blank page instead. (Tab behavior is still same as before, even though -- ironically -- the Options setting is set to open "a blank page" on new tabs.) How can I switch the behavior back to how it was, so that opening a new window takes me directly to the Speed Dial page instead of to a blank page?

PS: I'm sorry if this has been described elsewhere but I didn't find a thread about this from search.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: How to force new window to open home page instead of blank page?

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-10, 01:34

Is this what you want?:
Options > Tabs
Options > Tabs
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-10-10, 03:00

I checked that option already, which I mentioned in my OP, but no that doesn't change the behavior of new windows.

Thanks.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-10, 03:37

So you are getting the Speed Dial page to open in new tabs okay (which should presumably be controlled by the pref browser.newtab.url set to chrome://speeddial/content/speeddial.xul) and so it's just new browser windows that are not rendering the Speed Dial page that you want....

This should do the trick for you, set the pref extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow to the value true ;) (which is btw the default so you should have this already set to true unless you or some add-on had changed it at some point).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-10-10, 04:01

Pale Moon Rising wrote:So you are getting the Speed Dial page to open in new tabs okay (which should presumably be controlled by the pref browser.newtab.url set to chrome://speeddial/content/speeddial.xul) and so it's just new browser windows that are not rendering the Speed Dial page that you want....
Yes, that's exactly correct!
Pale Moon Rising wrote: This should do the trick for you, set the pref extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow to the value true ;) (which is btw the default so you should have this already set to true unless you or some add-on had changed it at some point).
I just checked that value, and it was already set to true. Toggled it back and forth, and it's still not working :cry:

... Does that mean it's a bug that only Moonchild can fix?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-10, 04:05

^ Followup: btw, the only way this setting for new browser windows will work for your Speed Dial page is if you are using Speed Dial for your start-page (Home page) which I'm not sure why since as far as I'm aware the pref should be independent of the Home page setting (browser.startup.homepage pref). Not sure if this is a "bug" or what.... but the browser.startup.homepage for some reason impacts the extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow pref.... :crazy:

I was under the impression that this was your start-page (home page) setting.... Am I wrong?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-10, 04:11

^ To clarify, you need this:
Home page - speed dial set.png
Which I though you had set for your start-page :think:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-10-10, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-10, 04:17

I have a similar problem as you but sort of in reverse (which I've considered a minor issue so have never brought it up before).... I would like to open new windows with Speed Dial page, but I have this for my home page:
my home page.png
and because I have this home page setting the extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow set to "true" apparently gets ignore or I don't know what, but new browser windows will be what I have for my home page setting. :crazy: However if I use the Speed Dial page for my home page then my new browser windows will open with the Speed Dial page as long as I have the extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow set to true. ---- which is the result you desire, right?[/b]
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-10-10, 04:52, edited 2 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-10, 04:45

Actually after further testing I get for New Browser Windows rendered to whatever I have set for my "Home page" setting (browser.startup.homepage pref) regardless of what the extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow pref is toggled to (true/false, doesn't matter). So I'm not quite sure what the point is for the extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow pref at this point.... :?

Bottom line, unless there is another setting that I'm not aware of that will change this: Apparently New Browser Windows will render what ever the Home Page setting is set at currently (regardless of the extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow pref), at least these are my results.

Suffice to say, if you are getting the same results as I am you should get in your New Browser Windows whatever you have your Home Page set at....

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-10, 06:38

Not sure if the probleb is solved yet. Anyway, here is what you need to do.
* Set your home page to about:newtab
* When opening new tabs - "show quockdial" (already done I guess)

Enjoy!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-10, 06:59

^ That would render QuickDial in both home page (start-page) and browser new windows, but the OP is talking about the "Speed Dial extension". It seems to me that the pref extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow set to the value true would, based on the name of the pref, get the Speed Dial extension to render in a New Window, but what happens is that New Browser Windows will always get what is set for the Home page (start-page) in the Options>General page no matter what, so I'm wondering what is the "Extensions.speeddial.loadInNewWindow supposed to do?

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-10-10, 07:32

I have my Home Page on the Speed Dial page.
If I use Ctr+number, the new page opens in the background; Ctrl+Shift+no. opens it in the foreground.
There's the same behaviour when clicking on a page in Speed Dial.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2017-10-10, 14:14

fr0zensphere wrote:I have the Speed Dial extension . In the past, both new tabs and new PM windows always opened with the Speed Dial page, which is also my home page. Now, whenever I open a new window, it shows a blank page instead. How can I switch the behavior back to how it was?
Click the Speed Dial add-on's "Options" button in Pale Moon's Add-ons Manager. Then, click the "Actions" button. Then select "First Time Configuration...".
speeddialoptions.jpg
Using "First Time Configuration...", configure Speed Dial as it was before.
action-1stTimeConfig.jpg
action-1stTimeConfig.jpg (38.51 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Note that the Speed Dial extension uses an override of browser settings, not an overlay. Thus, changing browser settings in about:config, such as "browser.newtab.url", has no effect. Also note, a better solution would be to replace the Speed Dial extension with the newer, feature rich, and more compatible "Speed Start" ( a speed dial extension by Off JustOff).

Hugga

Unread post by Hugga » 2017-10-20, 12:05

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I today realized the same symptom was happening to me.

I have "show my windows and tabs from last time" for when palemoon starts, and "about:newtab" for my home page. I do not use any add-ons like speed-dial or speedstart. Now opening a new window is blank, but opening a new tab displays the home page correctly.
Capture.PNG
As the OP pointed out, isn't the problem that the behavior has changed between Palemoon versions? This seems to have been overlooked. Prior to v27.5, a new window would also show the home page with my current settings. I'd have to set "show my home page" for it to now work like before, but doing that means I lose functionality to restore my open tabs on exit.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2017-10-20, 14:58

Hugga wrote:The same symptom was happening to me. Isn't the problem that the behavior has changed between Palemoon versions?
These are not even close to the same symptom(s). And no, the related behavior of Pale Moon does not appear to have changed between versions.

First, are you using about:newtab with the tile grid? Or, are you using about:newtab without the tile grid? The about:newtab page, with the tile grid hidden, is a blank page. At the upper right of the about:newtab page, you'll find a button to toggle between the Quickdial grid page and the Quickdial blank page. Select the setting you prefer.

How are you opening a new window? Try opening a new window by selecting "New Window"from the Pale Moon appmenu or file menu (or use shortcut key "Ctrl+N"). You should get the about:newtab page (either with the tile grid or blank). Instead, if you're opening a new window in Pale Moon from the Windows' taskbar or other shortcut to Pale Moon, you may be opening a new window using a different version of Pale Moon, or using a different Pale Moon user profile, than the version or profile you had been using for the windows and tabs already open.

Hugga

Unread post by Hugga » 2017-10-21, 10:17

riiis wrote:
Hugga wrote:The same symptom was happening to me. Isn't the problem that the behavior has changed between Palemoon versions?
These are not even close to the same symptom(s). And no, the related behavior of Pale Moon does not appear to have changed between versions.
I apologise if i misunderstand what the OP was describing. To me, the problem description of the symptom except for the use of the Speed Dial extension is the same. No matter. I appreciate the comments you made to try and assist me.

Yes, I am using "new window" from the palemoon menu, and also using the QuickDial page set in Options/Tabs. I did some experimentation with Palemoon portable versions and can reproduce the problem I'm having to better explain why I believe there is a behavior change.

Run Palemoon portable for Windows x64 v27.4.2. Ensure the Options/General/Startup is set to "Show my windows and tabs from last time" and home page is "about:newtab". Set the Options/Tabs is set to use "Quickdial". Now open a new Window or a new Tab and QuickDial shows. This is the expected behavior.

Run Palemoon portable for Windows x64 v27.5.0, and set the Options the same as above. Open a new Tab and QuickDial shows as expected, but a new Window shows a blank page. The grid icon in the top right of the QuickDial page is missing, suggesting it is an actual blank page, and not QuickDial hidden page.

I hope that is helpful information, and hope @fr0zensphere can test by downgrading to confirm if it has something to do with their issue too.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2017-10-21, 14:38

Hugga wrote:Run Palemoon portable for Windows x64 v27.5.0, and set the Options the same as above. Open a new Tab and QuickDial shows as expected, but a new Window shows a blank page. The grid icon in the top right of the QuickDial page is missing, suggesting it is an actual blank page, and not QuickDial hidden page.
I was able to reproduce and confirm these results using Pale Moon Portable for Windows x64 v27.5.1. The page you see when opening a new window, "about:newtab" as the home page, and Pale Moon startup set at "Show my windows and tabs from last time"-- I was also able to confirm this page is the "about:blank" page (Note the orange background shown below, for about:blank, is applied-- only to "about:blank"-- from my "userContent.css" file). As a workaround, you might want to try using something other than "about:newtab" as your home page(s).
blank-new-window.jpg

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-10-22, 18:04

I finally got back around to checking this.
Pale Moon Rising wrote: Suffice to say, if you are getting the same results as I am you should get in your New Browser Windows whatever you have your Home Page set at....
adesh wrote:Not sure if the probleb is solved yet. Anyway, here is what you need to do.
* Set your home page to about:newtab
* When opening new tabs - "show quockdial" (already done I guess)
riiis wrote: Click the Speed Dial add-on's "Options" button in Pale Moon's Add-ons Manager. Then, click the "Actions" button. Then select "First Time Configuration...".
speeddialoptions.jpg
Using "First Time Configuration...", configure Speed Dial as it was before.
action-1stTimeConfig.jpg
Note that the Speed Dial extension uses an override of browser settings, not an overlay. Thus, changing browser settings in about:config, such as "browser.newtab.url", has no effect.

I can confirm that none of these solutions work. I'm still getting exactly the same behavior: opening a new window shows a blank, white page (what I don't want). Clicking the "Home" button shows the Speed Dial page (what I want). Opening a new tab shows the Speed Dial page (what I want).

Here is how my options box looks:
PM options screenshot.png
I did try changing it to about:newtab. And it didn't change the behavior at all. I also tried doing the "First Time Configuration" thing within the extension, and checking and unchecking the options, and it also doesn't change anything.

(Although, do I need to completely close PM and open it again before I see any changes? Or should it happen right away with the next new window I open?)

I have not yet tried using the other extension.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-22, 21:36

In reference to your screen-shot posted above, instead of using "Show my windows and tabs from the last time" in the first "When Pale Moon starts" drop-down selection try using "Show my home page". That should get what you want. ;)

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-10-22, 21:45

That's odd. Why would that affect anything? My issue has nothing to do with when PM starts. Also, I always have a bunch of windows and tabs open. It's absolutely essential for me to restore my previous session so that I don't lose all those windows and tabs. That's not negotiable.