How to force new window to open home page instead of blank page? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: How to force new window to open home page instead of blank page?

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-22, 23:48

You said the following:
I'm still getting exactly the same behavior: opening a new window shows a blank, white page (what I don't want).
... I think if you do what I suggested then not only will Pale Moon start with the home-page you have entered but new windows will also render that home-page as well and if your concern is that you typically want to return to the same tabs then do the following explained below to get what you want.

If you want to keep all of your tabs so the next time PM starts you will not lose the tabs you had before why not try this pref: browser.showQuitWarning set to "true" so that you would get this prompt when exiting Pale Moon:
Save and Quit option.png
that provides you the option to "Save and Quit" thus saving all the tabs upon exit.

This way if I'm not mistaken you will get the home page for new windows which is what you're having problems getting and you also have the option to retain your tabs as you left them for the last browser session if that's what you want to do.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Hugga

Unread post by Hugga » 2017-10-23, 09:03

fr0zensphere wrote: I have not yet tried using the other extension.
Did you get a chance to try downgrading to v27.4.x to check if the problem resolves?

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-10-23, 15:44

Pale Moon Rising wrote: I think if you do what I suggested then not only will Pale Moon start with the home-page you have entered but new windows will also render that home-page as well and if your concern is that you typically want to return to the same tabs then do the following explained below to get what you want.

If you want to keep all of your tabs so the next time PM starts you will not lose the tabs you had before why not try this pref: browser.showQuitWarning set to "true" so that you would get this prompt when exiting Pale Moon:
Save and Quit option.png that provides you the option to "Save and Quit" thus saving all the tabs upon exit.

This way if I'm not mistaken you will get the home page for new windows which is what you're having problems getting and you also have the option to retain your tabs as you left them for the last browser session if that's what you want to do.
I see. Well, in any case, none of these workarounds are ideal. Are we in agreement that this is some kind of bug? It used to work exactly as expected/desired. Thoughts, Moonchild?

Thanks for all the suggestions though!
Hugga wrote: Did you get a chance to try downgrading to v27.4.x to check if the problem resolves?
No, have not.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2017-10-23, 16:11

Hugga wrote:
fr0zensphere wrote: I have not yet tried using the other extension.
Using another speeddial extension as home page didn't fix the problem. I still got a blank page when opening a new window with Pale Moon startup set at "Show my windows and tabs from last time". In fact, I still got a blank page as new window, regardless of what the home page was set at (including the Pale Moon start page, about:home, about:logopage, about:newtab, the Speed Start extension, and even about:blank itself). Accordingly, the only workaround appears to be: First, set the home page to whatever you want the home page to be. And second, when the about:blank page appears as a new window, instead of your home page(s), click the "home" toolbar button to change the new window to the proper home page(s).

Pale Moon has replaced "about:home" with "http://start.palemoon.org/" as the default home page. Nevertheless, with Pale Moon startup set at "Show my windows and tabs from last time", a very scrunched-up and distorted "about:home" page momentarily appears as a new window--before quickly disappearing and being replaced with the "about:blank" page.
Did you get a chance to try downgrading to v27.4.x to check if the problem resolves?
The problem was resolved by using "Palemoon-Portable-27.4.2.1.win64", but another problem emerged. I opened several new windows using v27.4.2.1, then exited all Pale Moon windows one-by-one, until Pale Moon was completely closed. When Pale Moon v27.4.2.1 was reopened, all these windows reappeared, not just the last window I had closed.

Hugga

Unread post by Hugga » 2017-11-19, 11:42

Version 27.6.1 just released has fixed my problem :) Thanks for the fix!

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2017-11-26, 19:27

Just to confirm, yeah, the problem is fixed for me too. Finally got the updated version. Thank you for the fix!