is 27.5 build based on ff quantum build ?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2017-09-28, 14:54

c-sanchez

Re: is 27.5 build based on ff quantum build ?

Unread post by c-sanchez » 2017-09-28, 15:20

I have an similar doubt, Long ago since Palemoon is an Firefox fork, indeed, now have a own engine, Goanna, ie, not Gecko or Quatum.
By other side, Quantum promise be better than Gecko, the origen of Goanna, Pale Moon actual engine, right?
Or maybe Goanna is already considerably better than Gecko and probably an equivalent (on quality terms) of Quantum?
Or Moonchild guys is working on an Goanna Based on Quantum?
Or something else?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-09-28, 15:39

Palemoon 27 was a rebase of Firefox 37 but later got the full Goanna change, this goes even to 27.5

Basilik is going to be Firefox 55 ESR, until its End of Life, around November next year, then I don't know the future of Basilik.
Palemoon will increase in performance and everything else, Moonchild knows about everything that Mozilla is doing, at least he's not blind to what he can improve on.
Off-topic:
Now, I have tried Firefox 56 and it's the last version before 57 that still supports XUL. Definitely worthy of a rebase, or even Basilik, yet, this might be mainly due to e10s and Moonchild doesn't allow it in Palemoon, that's understandable.
Firefox Nightly builds allow "Legacy" add-ons to work, so it we implement this, maybe Basilik can continue onwards until Mozilla pulls the plug on allowing legacy for good.
Last edited by megaman on 2017-09-28, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-28, 16:54

megaman wrote:Palemoon 27 was a rebase of Firefox 37 but later got the full Goanna change, this goes even to 27.5
Incorrect. it was a rebase on the Mozilla platform code of mozilla-central 38 (and its ESR branch), not 37.
That's just the platform code, though, since as a whole Pale Moon 27.* is a fully standalone hybrid.
megaman wrote:Basilik is going to be Firefox 55 ESR, until its End of Life, around November next year, then I don't know the future of Basilik.
Also incorrect. Basilisk will be based on UXP, which is an early-2017 fork of the Mozilla platform code with parallel development and fixes for long-standing Mozilla bugs. There is no 55ESR and UXP is not based on any Firefox ESR branch either. There is no EoL for the code because UXP is its own fork with continued development.

I'd appreciate it if you either research your answers or divert the question to people who know, if you're not sure. I'd rather avoid people getting misinformed; having that done on purpose in the past by opponents of our efforts was already bad enough.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite