Tab Switching Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bogdanz

Tab Switching

Unread post by bogdanz » 2017-09-26, 21:58

Hi there,

This may well be a silly question but somehow I was unable to figure out how to make Ctrl-Shift-Tab to go backwards one tab (Opera/Vivaldi behavior) rather than opening a tab manager.

I appreciate your assistance and I apologize if the question is banal.

Cheers!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Tab Switching

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-27, 01:00

What I find using the ctrl+shift+tab is that using this short-cut key combination in Pale Moon opens the "Search tabs" window (which as you point out is different than what Opera does with this shortcut key combination). So I presume this is what Pale Moon uses by default for this short-cut key combination (since I never set this shortcut myself).

There are a few topics on this subject in the forum for example HERE: Changing shortcut keys and context menus and HERE: Adding fully functional keyboard shortcut editor to PM (admittedly a bit dated) and probably others....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-27, 01:31

Better yet, if you want to use the native Pale Moon Key-Board tab navigator (instead of using extensions) you first hold down the ctrl key and keep holding it down click on the tab key to load the tab navigation GUI. By continuing to hold down the ctrl key you can then navigate the browser tabs back and forth via the GUI by using tab key (forward) or shift+tab keys (backward). ;) (one hand mouse-less tab navigation at your finger tips :thumbup:)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-09-27, 06:50

bogdanz wrote:Hi there,

This may well be a silly question but somehow I was unable to figure out how to make Ctrl-Shift-Tab to go backwards one tab (Opera/Vivaldi behavior) rather than opening a tab manager.

Cheers!
go to about:configs and change 'browser.ctrlTabs.previews' to False

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-27, 08:22

fillerup wrote:
bogdanz wrote:Hi there,

Cheers!
go to about:configs and change 'browser.ctrlTabs.previews' to False
I don't have that pref, so what is the result when doing this?

If it disables the ctrl+tab Pale Moon "tab navigation GUI" (that I mentioned above) then I'd rather leave it, I kind of like this preset hot-key combination as an alternative in the event I might want to use the keyboard to navigate the browser tabs.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-09-27, 09:47

fillerup wrote: … go to about:configs and change 'browser.ctrlTabs.previews' to False
Pale Moon Rising wrote:I don't have that pref, so what is the result when doing this?
It's actually browser.ctrlTab.previews (no 'S' in 'Tab'). ;)

Setting it to false appears to do these things:
  1. Whereas true allows you to toggle between two tabs back and forth with Ctrl+Tab, false just selects then next tab to the right (or beneath if you are using vertical tabs) indefinitely (and goes back to the beginning when you've reached the end).
  2. Holding down Ctrl+Tab will no longer reveal the tab interface as described by Pale Moon in which you can then move backwards and forwards with Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab.
  3. Whereas true will show the tabs preview with Ctrl+Shift+Tab that the OP doesn't want, false makes Ctrl+Shift+Tab simply select the next tab to the left (or above if you are using vertical tabs).
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-09-27, 11:00

gracious1 wrote:It's actually browser.ctrlTab.previews (no 'S' in 'Tab'). ;)
thanks for the correction, bad idea to type such things from memory sometimes. also it should be about:config and not configs like i wrote above (whoops..)

bogdanz

Unread post by bogdanz » 2017-10-16, 23:47

Setting browser.ctrlTab.previews to false works perfectly for what I wanted. Thanks!

Stilez

Unread post by Stilez » 2017-11-03, 08:32

It might be worth exposing this explicitly, in the options tab, because tab switching (prev/next vs. recently used) is such a common thing for people to want "their preferred behaviour".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-03, 12:20

Opened Issue #1444 for this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-23, 01:29

Stilez wrote:It might be worth exposing this explicitly, in the options tab, because tab switching (prev/next vs. recently used) is such a common thing for people to want "their preferred behaviour".
I want to point out that there are already keyboard shortcuts for what you want to do. You can move to the previous tab with Ctrl+PageUp and to the next tab with Ctrl+PageDown. This works whether or not tab previews are enabled (i.e. the setting of browser.ctrlTab.previews does not matter; the keyboard shortcuts work independently.)
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-11-23, 15:24

ctrl-tab is better because the buttons are closer together and on the left side which means you don't need to let go of the mouse. also, a lot of keyboards these days omit the navigation cluster altogether, whereas ctrl/shift/tab are always going to be there