Virus Detected in Palemoon Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Dragon

Virus Detected in Palemoon

Unread post by Dragon » 2017-09-21, 05:24

keep getting virus detected in ClamwinAV for palemoon files

Scan Started Wed Sep 20 09:56:55 2017
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D:\palemoonupds1\palemoon-27.3.0.win32\palemoon\browser\omni.ja: Html.Exploit.CVE_2017_8757-6336185-0 FOUND
D:\palemoonupds1\palemoon-27.3.0.win32.zip: Html.Exploit.CVE_2017_8757-6336185-0 FOUND
----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 6303697
Engine version: 0.99.1
Scanned directories: 83
Scanned files: 1214
Infected files: 2
Data scanned: 413.75 MB
Data read: 396.85 MB (ratio 1.04:1)
Time: 62.301 sec (1 m 2 s)

Even the newest palemoon versions show as having a virus

anyway to fix this, i contacted Clamwin but not fix yet

Thanks, Dragon

dark_moon

Re: Virus Detected in Palemoon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-09-21, 07:24

Welcome to the forum!

ClamAV have a lot of false positives. Check the files with https://www.virustotal.com

Also where did you download Pale Moon from? Latest version is 27.4.2 and not 27.3.0

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-21, 07:24

This is a false positive; nothing we can do on our end about it.
The issue found is a Microsoft Edge specific vulnerability; I'm assuming the trigger here is website code, likeness of which is found in our internal browser JavaScript.

They shouldn't even be checking for this in local files, I think, and certainly not in something that is not part of a common format that can be opened by Edge.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-8757
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-09-22, 03:46

This warning was reported previously as Immunet runs ClamAV engine too. Omni.ja is a safe file and if you let the AV program to delete it, Pale Moon won't run. It's safe white list it.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-22, 04:57

I can attest that omni.ja is a normal safe file that's part of PM and other Firefox-based browsers. :D :lol:

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-09-22, 07:21

Don't use cheap or free "AV" !
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

postbuz

Unread post by postbuz » 2017-09-22, 11:01

By all means, use "cheap or free AV". But use your brain too.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-23, 01:09

postbuz wrote:
By all means, use "cheap or free AV". But use your brain too.
Use your brain first, and keep your free, cheap or Pro AV as a safety net in case you miss something or something slips through unexpected.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

vessto

Re: Virus Detected in Palemoon - VirusTotal too

Unread post by vessto » 2017-10-01, 12:18

Hi! I registered to ask this. I wanted to install PM x64 but first tested it in VirusTotal (as I do with every other application). Surprisingly VT gave one threat:

https://www.virustotal.com/bg/file/de0a ... 506859108/

Is it false-positive? I had similar issue with few Ashampo installs which all turned to be false-positives and were removed by Ashampo's demand.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-01, 13:15

Yes it's a false positive. It's also not clear what "cylance" considers "unsafe".

vessto

Unread post by vessto » 2017-10-01, 22:00

Thank you!

Today I needed to downgrade my FF to 55 and cylance gave this result about it too. :?

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-10-03, 19:23

I like how some chuckle head marked it unsafe. Idiots, the lot of them.

millpond

Unread post by millpond » 2017-10-11, 22:08

I've had plenty of experience with ClamAV in Linux, and can only say that this utility is worse than useless, as it is one of the lousiest scanners in creation, and gives one a false sense of security.

In fact *all* AV software is mostly useless. Trojans are composed of two parts; RATs and Encryptors (which encrypt the RAT booger payload). A good Zero-Day exploit will NOT be discovered by *any* AV software, as they are all first tested against sites like VirusTotal to begin with. Some premium ones are never eventually detectable. The cheap and free boogers (there is a marketplace for them) often take a month or two to detect.

Techie users will use
site blockers (hosts, and Peer Blocker type utils)
script blockers (NoScript, et al)
cookie/LSO blockers (Ghostery, et al)
ad blockers (adblock et al)

uBlock Origin may be a good simple option for non-techies, if you can get it to work in PM. I cant (at the moment, at least...)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-10-12, 19:18

millpond wrote:uBlock Origin may be a good simple option for non-techies, if you can get it to work in PM. I cant (at the moment, at least...)
What? just install it and finish. I never see any problems with uBlock in Pale Moon.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-10-12, 19:27

Off-topic:
millpond wrote:
uBlock Origin may be a good simple option for non-techies, if you can get it to work in PM. I cant (at the moment, at least...)
Get it from the link below. Download the link that says (ironically) firefox. Latest stable is 1.14.14

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases