GIFs that shouldn't be repeated indefinitely but they are doing that

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Alcosmos

GIFs that shouldn't be repeated indefinitely but they are doing that

Unread post by Alcosmos » 2017-09-20, 17:23

When I see a GIF that should be repeated only one time, they do it indefinitely. I tried with many GIFs and it's happening with all. Is that a bug?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: GIFs that shouldn't be repeated indefinitely but they are doing that

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-09-20, 18:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-20, 20:11

Alcosmos wrote:When I see a GIF that should be repeated only one time, they do it indefinitely. I tried with many GIFs and it's happening with all. Is that a bug?
No, that's not a bug. GIFs with multiple frames don't have an option to specify "once"; it's a multi-frame image, and whether the animation is repeated or not depends on your viewer's behavior. Repeating is the default for web browsers because that is the most common use of animated GIF files.

Forget about an extension for this, that's overkill. You can simply set it to once with a preference in the browser.

Here you go:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tips_:_Animated_Images
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Alcosmos

Unread post by Alcosmos » 2017-09-21, 14:36

Moonchild wrote:
Alcosmos wrote:When I see a GIF that should be repeated only one time, they do it indefinitely. I tried with many GIFs and it's happening with all. Is that a bug?
No, that's not a bug. GIFs with multiple frames don't have an option to specify "once"
In Paint.NET and Photoshop GIFs can be configured to be repeated or not. This GIF https://labbo.us/web-gallery/images/logoclient.gif (not mine) isn't repeated in Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, but yes in Pale Moon. If I create a GIF and deselect the option to loop, it won't be repeated in any navigator, but yes in pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-21, 15:23

Right; it does seem that animated GIF images can specify this property (play n times, or indefinitely).
I'm pretty sure that was honored before Tycho, so maybe this is a regression from the refactoring of the way images and image frames are handled.

I'll run a find-fix when I have time to see where Mozilla fixed this bug.

This may all be a side-effect of something else going on.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-21, 17:17

Right, I figured out what the problem was, and yes, it's a side-effect of something else. The problem is that the necessary data for the animation isn't loaded until the animation has already started -- the joys of async biting us yet again. Issue #1360

Fix is fairly easy, actually. Too late in the development cycle to make it into 27.5 since it's not entirely risk-free, but it'll be fixed in the next major version.

Alcosmos

Unread post by Alcosmos » 2017-09-21, 18:51

Moonchild wrote:Right, I figured out what the problem was, and yes, it's a side-effect of something else. The problem is that the necessary data for the animation isn't loaded until the animation has already started -- the joys of async biting us yet again. Issue #1360

Fix is fairly easy, actually. Too late in the development cycle to make it into 27.5 since it's not entirely risk-free, but it'll be fixed in the next major version.
Thank you so much :D
When will the next major version be released approximately?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-09-21, 19:08

Alcosmos wrote:When will the next major version be released approximately?
When it's ready. There are no firm dates or schedules for future releases. 27.5 is right around the corner, so it might be a while before we see 27.6.

If you are chomping at the bit to have this fix included in your browser, the unstable version will have it implemented in advance of the next major stable release ... but you might still need to wait a few days, since Moonchild made the fix today it would be the next unstable release (e.g., date > 9/21/17) that would include this fix.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.