Security Bug Indexed DB

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Paleist

Security Bug Indexed DB

Unread post by Paleist » 2017-09-19, 12:20

Indexed DB doesn't get cleared creating a security leak perfect for tracking Firefox users. Does this also apply to Pale Moon?

https://superuser.com/questions/1250944/how-can-this-website-reidentify-me-even-after-deleting-all-of-my-browsers-histo

JustOff

Re: Security Bug Indexed DB

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-09-19, 12:46

This does not seem to me a bug, just use about:permissions -> "Forget About This Site" as suggested on the link above.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-19, 13:53

Clearing history doesn't mean cookies, storage or other things are deleted. If you think this is the case then you need to read up on things :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Paleist

Unread post by Paleist » 2017-09-19, 15:10

Moonchild wrote:Clearing history doesn't mean cookies, storage or other things are deleted. If you think this is the case then you need to read up on things :)
Did you read what I linked? :roll:
That guy did the following:
Delete all my browsers history which includes cache, cookies, website settings, download history, search history, browser history and active logins. Basically everything that can be deleted through the Firefox menu.
This should include Offline Website Data and Site Preferences, there are checkboxes for that.
JustOff wrote:This does not seem to me a bug, just use about:permissions -> "Forget About This Site" as suggested on the link above.
Doing this for every site is possible but a tedious task. Regarding bugs the following seems seriously buggy:
Even worse, neither the greyed-out "Use Default: Always Ask" in the above screen capture, nor enabling "Tell you when a website asks to store data for offline use" in settings, Advanced, Network, have any effect to avoid storage

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-09-19, 16:56

Definitiv a bug and this bug exists since 8 years.
Here you find some information in german about the bug:
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung ... 35084.html
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-09-19, 22:08

Although I found one in my Firefox profile, I wasn't able to find an IndexedDB folder anywhere in Pale Moon, either in the program folder or my profile.

Are we perhaps talking about the files in the "cache2\entries" folder in the Pale Moon program folder? In my case, it contains 1,252 files and takes up about 38mb.

If not, where is the Pale Moon IndexedDB folder, please?

And - just out of interest - what happens if I delete all the data in the "cache2\entries" folder? I temporarily dumped all the files into my Recycle Bin, but a brief check didn't reveal any obvious problems in using Pale Moon.

Thank you.

P.S. I just came across this relevant Forum entry: viewtopic.php?t=16475

P.P.S. Sorry to drag this out, but I just looked in this folder: C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\z94f3nou.default\storage\default
It's empty, although I've been using Pale Moon all day. Is this the way it's supposed to be, and if it's not, what am I doing wrong (or maybe right)? Thanks.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-20, 06:26

JoeyG wrote:what happens if I delete all the data in the "cache2\entries" folder?
Off-topic:
Nothing harmful, only a slight slowdown in loading of webpages which were cached earlier. No effect if you have sufficiently fast internet connection!
JoeyG wrote:It's empty, although I've been using Pale Moon all day. Is this the way it's supposed to be, and if it's not, what am I doing wrong (or maybe right)?
Off-topic:
Again, nothing to worry. It means that the websites you visit do not use indexedDB (most do not), or you have it disabled.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-09-20, 10:27

@ adesh

Thank you very much.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-09-20, 19:26

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-09-20, 21:06

Paleist wrote:
JustOff wrote:This does not seem to me a bug, just use about:permissions -> "Forget About This Site" as suggested on the link above.
Doing this for every site is possible but a tedious task.
This could be easily automated via add-on, but do we really need it?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-09-20, 23:11

JustOff wrote:This could be easily automated via add-on, but do we really need it?
See viewtopic.php?p=122301#p122301.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-21, 20:24

The unstable version of today adds deletion of indexeddb data when clearing "offline website data". Considering this is a hot topic, I'd like someone here to verify that this works as-is, and if so, I'll uplift it as a final addition to the pending release. Because of release engineering, I'd need to have a yes or no come tomorrow (the 22nd). It's been tested by Justoff locally, but independent verification would be needed to warrant the uplift.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Paleist

Unread post by Paleist » 2017-09-22, 22:10

Mozilla incubates this bug 8 years, you solve it in less than 8 days. Great. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-22, 23:02

Paleist wrote:Mozilla incubates this bug 8 years, you solve it in less than 8 days. Great. :thumbup:
Regardless of the misnomer in the title (it's not a security bug), this privacy issue should indeed have been on Mozilla's agenda a lot sooner if they are truly "putting your privacy first" as is bleated from the highest windows of their offices world-wide.

As an aside, this will be in 27.5.0 -- it's been confirmed working as-intended on trunk and uplifted, so you can enjoy IndexedDB cleanup when removing Offline Website Data from that version on.