Permanently Disable Status Bar Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sylnox

Permanently Disable Status Bar

Unread post by Sylnox » 2017-09-17, 03:46

Hi, new user here. I'm having a problem with the status bar. I want it to behave like the current Firefox where the status is displayed in a popup and the bar is turned off. I have managed to find the appropriate settings to achieve this. However, every time I restart the browser, the bar is back! I did a bit of tinkering and discovered that this only happens when there are icons docked in the status bar (for example from Personas Plus, which sticks an un-deletable icon there). What do I need to do to make the status bar go away permanently but still have icons docked to it?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Permanently Disable Status Bar

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-17, 10:17

Perhaps moving the icons off the Status Bar would be the answer. :think: (move Persona Plus to the Toolbar instead of the Status Bar).

I presume the method you used to remove the Status Bar was to un-tick the "Status Bar" option in the right-click context menu (I have mine enabled):
Uncheck this box to remove Status Bar
Uncheck this box to remove Status Bar
Disable Status Bar.png (4.6 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-09-17, 11:01

Not sure that can be the entire solution. I currently have personas plus and a few other things on my status bar, and it remains disappeared when I switch it off.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-17, 16:11

So you apparently do not want to move all icons to your Navigation Toolbar.

So perhaps THIS post will get what you want (refer to 3rd "Status bar" bullet point info). :think:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-17, 16:35

^ followup; or if that does not help you out then based on what you specifically stated here:
Sylnox wrote:... I want it to behave like the current Firefox where the status is displayed in a popup and the bar is turned off....
... then this topic is probably what you want: Automatically hiding status bar? ;)
Moonchild wrote: If you check the Status bar options, you will see that both for Status and hovered links, there is an option to show the status in question as a "pop-up". This is similar to what Firefox does, and if you prefer this kind of pop-up over a static status bar control, you can select the appropriate option and then hide the status bar (through the menu or by pressing Ctrl + / ).
Please post back whether or not this helps out.

Sylnox

Unread post by Sylnox » 2017-09-17, 16:50

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Perhaps moving the icons off the Status Bar would be the answer
Well, what I was hoping to do was use the status bar sort of like Firefox's menu popout - a home for things that I use only occasionally (e.g. Session Manager), so I can only enable the status bar when I want access to them. Also the Personas Plus icon appears to be stuck in the status bar (it's greyed out when I open the toolbar layout manager), so the only solution there would be to disable the addon entirely.
Pale Moon Rising wrote:... then this topic is probably what you want: Automatically hiding status bar? ;)
This is what I did to hide the status bar and enable the status popups. Every time I restart the browser the "Status Bar" option is re-checked and the status bar is back. I also tried the keyboard shortcut to turn it off, but no dice there either.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-17, 16:51

I think the above post will do the trick :thumbup: .... but if not then there is this you could take a look at: https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/button/statusbar-toggle/, can't vouch for this as I have not used it but it's supposed to "Toggle the status bar from hidden to shown. Hide it to get the most out of your screen space, and show it when it really needed.".

Sylnox

Unread post by Sylnox » 2017-09-17, 18:43

Okay, I figured it out. It appears that the problem is Session Manager. For some reason when you dock its icons in the status bar it keeps re-enabling it after it's been disabled. Sorry for bothering everyone about it.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-17, 18:53

Sylnox wrote:Okay, I figured it out. It appears that the problem is Session Manager. For some reason when you dock its icons in the status bar it keeps re-enabling it after it's been disabled. Sorry for bothering everyone about it.
Try moving Session Manager icons from the Status Bar to the Navigation Toolbar at the top of the browser.... :idea: Oh and no bother at all, glad to hear you have found the reason for the Status Bar issue. :thumbup:

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2017-09-17, 21:05

You can have Status bar appearing only when hovering the screen bottom if you install this userstyle: https://userstyles.org/styles/37319/aut ... n-bar-fx-4
Also status and links can be configured to be shown in the Address bar (Options>Status bar options...)
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-17, 21:36

_yuyu_ wrote:Also status and links can be configured to be shown in the Address bar (Options>Status bar options...)

Looks like this might change with the next major upgrade.

See Issue #1219, and 1, 2.

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2017-09-17, 22:19

coffeebreak wrote:
_yuyu_ wrote:Also status and links can be configured to be shown in the Address bar (Options>Status bar options...)

Looks like this might change with the next major upgrade.

See Issue #1219, and 1, 2.
Oh. Thank you for pointing it out. Tried the latest PM unstable. Installing Status-4-Evar addon brought the functionality back :happy:
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-18, 07:33

Sylnox wrote:Okay, I figured it out. It appears that the problem is Session Manager. For some reason when you dock its icons in the status bar it keeps re-enabling it after it's been disabled....
Does moving the Session Manager icons to the Navigation Tool Bar (top of browser) fix your problem with the Status Bar?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-18, 09:49

The root problem here is that some extensions forcefully put themselves into the status bar upon startup. This will automatically un-hide the status bar.
This can only be solved by changing the behavior of the extension.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite