High CPU on palemoon.start.me/start

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: High CPU on palemoon.start.me/start

Unread post by jars_ » 2018-06-08, 19:01

therube wrote:What I'm seeing is high CPU on start.me - regardless of browser, regardless of "whose" start page it is.
when start.me tab have focus, CPU load 40-50% (Core2) (Videos on youtube 1080p has same CPU load )
So it was always. A horrible site, don`t use it :thumbdown:
Last edited by jars_ on 2018-06-08, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-08, 19:38

For me when start.me tab has focus, CPU load 25-30% (as contrasted to this forum tab at ~5%)

Ever since the last supposed "upgrade" which was clearly a very poor update for start.me -- I had to cut my start.me page size in half just to make the page manageable, otherwise the load-time was way too long.

I finally convinced start.me to provide me with the previous version and sure enough all the issues I get now most of all the terrible load-time diminished by more than half using the former version.

Their answer to me is that they would try and address the "upgrade" issues they created sometime this fall due to limited support they have available to deal with the issues involving the "upgrade".

The only reason I still use the start.me start page at all is that I am unable to find another start-page that provides me with the features I want. It is too bad they even did the "upgrade" a few months back (around the beginning of this year if I recall correctly).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-08, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-06-10, 13:00

This problem remains and it might make Pale Moon look bad, even though there's no fault from the browser obviously.
Pale Moon Rising wrote:The only reason I still use the start.me start page at all is that I am unable to find another start-page that provides me with the features I want.
Speed Start is excellent.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-10, 20:26

You may also find that the next milestone will avoid some of this with its improved rendering engine that solves a number of layering bottlenecks. Give it a try with the unstable :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2018-06-11, 00:32

5% on idle, hits about 9% on reload.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-11, 11:11

back2themoon wrote:This problem remains and it might make Pale Moon look bad, even though there's no fault from the browser obviously.
Pale Moon Rising wrote:The only reason I still use the start.me start page at all is that I am unable to find another start-page that provides me with the features I want.
Speed Start is excellent.
checked out Speed Start - I suppose it's an alternative but after spending about ½ of an hour to create just one of the bookmark modules I use in start.me -- what I come up with is the following for speedstart as compared to what this same module looks like in start.me:
Speedstart example:
Just one modul -  upper left corner 2.png
Start.me example:
Just one modul - upper left corner.png
A larger example of the beginning portion of my start.me page:
example 1st page of start dot me.png
... comparing this top-part of my start.me page to what you can see I'd have using Speedstart will perhaps visually demonstrate why I have a preference for start.me.... :think: ;) (On a side note: I'd say Speedstart is adequate enough for a relatively simple straightforward start-page :thumbup: -- but I've already written an HTML Start-Page for myself that is very similar to what you see in Speedstart which I have been using for a large number of the former start.me bookmarks that I removed [about 75% of what I had before] that I am using as a supplemental start.me but removed from my original start.me page in order to help speed-up the start.me load-time).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-11, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-11, 21:03

Moonchild wrote:You may also find that the next milestone will avoid some of this with its improved rendering engine that solves a number of layering bottlenecks. Give it a try with the unstable :)
I am happy to report that the major problems that all came about when start.me did an upgrade back in January are essentially solved using PMv28. :thumbup:

1) The biggest irritant was the continual random full and/or partial page reloads since the "2018 Upgrade" of start.me which appears to be totally fixed now - HUGE BENEFIT!!
2) Most parts of the page appear to load faster -- up to perhaps 50% faster with the exception for some widgets i.e. Calendar and especially Weather widgets which still take about the same amount of time to load. It is Bookmarks and News Feeds (both of which I had to significantly reduce from my start.me page when the "2018 start.me upgrade" occurred) that seem to be impacted the most in a positive way.
3) Cursor hovering delays over links (i.e. News Feeds) to get pop-up information which was a real nuisance since the "2018 start.me upgrade" are no longer a problem - HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!
4) CPU usage is slightly improved as well when the start.me tab has focus.
5) Also the occasional "not responding" hangs that have continued to be an issue appear to have now been totally eliminated when loading the start.me page (which have not only been related to start.me but some other specific sites as well which has have thankfully been largely addressed hence in general far less frequent).

So all the discussion topics on various issues in the PM forums as well as discussions with Start.me support including with Michiel at Start.me that I was recommended to do of which I had already been doing are all apparently due to incompatibilities between PM27 and Start.me ever since the "2018 Upgrade". I was able to eventually capture a video of the random full and/or partial page reloading behavior that I sent to Michiel but there was no response from Michiel to why this was occurring in Pale Moon (didn't seem to occur in other browsers). Michiel finally did provide me with the pre-2018 Upgrade build after first insisting this was impossible which verified all of the issues only occurred in the post-2018 upgrade -- which is when I was told that anything that will be done will not be until the Fall.

Discussion topics on the random page reloads where I was reprimanded for starting a second topic 2½ later months later (since I was not getting any help regarding the page reloading behavior in the first topic) in the second topic in the "General" board Start.me issue that appears unique to Pale Moon after the original topic had been posted in the "Forum and Website" board Question for start.me users regarding column behavior? (the first topic of which I was told quote: "Ultimately, only the people at start.me can do anything about this-- it's a service external to any Pale Moon development...." which appears to not be the case since thankfully PMv28 appears to have addressed the issues in the end).

I'm frankly at a loss as to why I was the only person reporting these issues with start.me page using Pale Moon -- but clearly it all comes down to the fact that PMv28 has virtually addressed all of the issues that had cropped up subsequent to the "2018 upgrade" of start.me. :clap:

Michiel with Start.me support ended up saying that the issues will be looked into in the fall when a new "upgrade" will be considered -- so I guess I can safely say to start.me support that the "2018 upgrade" issues are now essentially resolved as a result of the new mile-stone PMv28 release....

And the first topic that included various issues but in general script "busy" problems with the start.me page (since the "2018 upgrade"): Start.me start-page script problem in Pale Moon where I found that I needed to increase the dom.max_script_run_time 4x's the default for Pale Moon to "80" from the previous default value "20" to avoid the "Script busy" issues. I now find that I can return the default back to "20" and have no more issues with "Script busy" errors. And of course as mentioned -- for the most-part the load-time concerns mentioned in this linked topic have been essentially resolved as well using PMv28.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-12, 02:37, edited 3 times in total.