What do these video settings do?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
John connor

What do these video settings do?

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-14, 20:02

My mom has been having sporadic video behavior in Facebook and I was wondering if these settings had any bearing or not. Currently they are all enabled like shown here in the image. But on my computer and her computer the last option is greyed out. Why is that?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: What do these video settings do?

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-14, 20:14

Because there are some issues in the new media backend with WebM videos.
From release notes for 27.4.0:
Once again, the MSE+WebM and Asynchronous MSE use are currently mutually exclusive. You can have one or the other, not both, until we sort out the code for WebM. To enable MSE+WebM you will first have to disable Asynchronouse MSE in settings (otherwise the WebM setting will be greyed out and disabled).

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-14, 20:19

So should I do anything here for Facebook videos? I don't know what protocol they use.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-15, 13:42

I don't use Facebook, but Pale Moon defaults work fine for me on other video sites.
Someone recently posted about an issue with Facebook live videos. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16697#p121877

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-15, 21:58

The browser's defaults are fine! Only change any of these settings if you need WebM+MSE specifically (currently the only use seems to be YouTube 4k video since they only deliver that in WebM format)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2017-09-17, 20:48

I had to uncheck 'Enable MSE for MP4 video' to be able to watch videos on Vimeo and some custom YT players (e.g. on phys.org).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-18, 09:50

Vimeo has been thoroughly tested with MSE and should work just fine. You may be blocking some media stream connections if it doesn't work. Check your extensions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-18, 15:26

For Vimeo, try turning autoplay on if it's not already (just media.autoplay.enabled = true). It made the difference on my machine.

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2017-09-19, 15:57

I have turned off autoplay deliberately ('regular' and scripted one). I hate it with a passion. :evil: Now I have to click twice or thrice on play button to begin playback, but it's not a problem for me. The problem was that YT has been working fine, while Vimeo didn't work at all (I could only see static images by moving a slider). As I said, unchecking 'Enable MSE for MP4 video' did the trick for me and everything is working - I can watch both YT and Vimeo clips.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-19, 17:22

Kerebron wrote:I have turned off autoplay deliberately ('regular' and scripted one). I hate it with a passion.
. . . . The problem was that . . . . Vimeo didn't work at all...

Understood.
(And FTR, I share your feelings about autoplay and always keep it off myself, even though it means extra clicks.)
And nothing says you shouldn't disable MSE for MP4 if that better suits your needs.

However your previous post implies that Vimeo simply does not work, period, with MSE - and that would not be accurate.

In any case, I can verify that on Vimeo, when media.autoplay.enabled is false while MSE for MP4 is enabled, videos will not play (do load, don't start) no matter how many times you click. The video will play however, if either setting is changed.

(Win7 x86, PM 27.4.2 and PM 27.6.0a1 - 20170916)

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2017-09-19, 18:25

coffeebreak wrote:However your previous post implies that Vimeo simply does not work, period, with MSE - and that would not be accurate.
Well, maybe I should have been more elaborate. :) What I meant was that YT worked fine with these options and Vimeo didn't, and I had to change this additional setting to make it work, while YT still worked as if nothing had happened. Damn you, you callous YT! ;)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-19, 18:46

@Kerebron,
You might consider using the extension HTML5 Media Tuner, which allows setting exceptions for MSE for individual domains. Using this, it would be possible to keep MSE for MP4 enabled globally (if you wish) and just turn it off where you need or want that.

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2017-09-19, 21:33

Thank you for the suggestion, coffeebreak, although I can't see any downsides of current solution so far. If any problems occur, I might check it out. :thumbup: