Ublock origin?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ealbers

Ublock origin?

Unread post by ealbers » 2017-08-29, 11:19

Why is Ublock origin not working?

I will wait 3 days (using firefox until then) for you to fix this, then your browser will be uninstalled.

Worthless without ad blocking, seriously, you hate yourself that much? just close the site instead of breaking things!

josephd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Ublock origin?

Unread post by josephd » 2017-08-29, 11:26

Ublock works here. Maybe it is something you have done. Windows 10, PM 27.4.2 (64bit).

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-08-29, 12:05

Pale Moon and uBlock work very well together.

Without knowing your setup, OS, security software/tweaks and other details, there's not much we can do to help you.

Whether we would want to help you with your current attitude is another matter ;)

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-08-29, 12:11

uBlock Origin 1.13.10 works fine for me on Win 7 x64 Pm 27.4.2.

If you have a problem with uBlock then you should contact the developers.
It's not the Palemoon developers fault that YOU can't configure uBlock correctly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-08-29, 12:16

I have never had a problem with ublock origin working with pale moon.

Bad workmen always blame their tools. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-29, 13:00

Are you unable to install from the Mozilla Add-ons Site? It could be because Raymond Hill (the primary developer) is now putting the Web Extension and/or WebExt-hybrid version on his Firefox add-ons page.
If you download the latest version from this site, it will NOT work.

Instead, you will need to download the XUL version. Go to Raymond Hill's Releases page for uBlock Origin.
Scroll down and look for the "Latest release" banner.
Click on the link that looks like this: uBlock0.firefox.xpi.
The one that says "firefox" utilizes the "legacy" (XUL) technology. This is the one that will work in Pale Moon.

Here is a direct link to the latest release.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... irefox.xpi

Let us know whether that works.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-08-31, 09:36

Ublock Origin works great with my Palemoon browser. I installed UO to PM a few weeks ago and then disabled any automatic updates to it (not the list updates).

My understanding is that there is a problem with version 1.13.10 of ublock origin and firefox 53.0.03 (for many people).

The latest version of ublock origin for FF is a webextension hybrid version. When FF is updated to this version of the UO extension, it may disappear without warning from the FF browser and not function. It has to be uninstalled and then reinstalled (had to figure that out). After that, UO will stay and function in the browser, but then (I found) FF runs slowly. I had to uninstall that hybrid version and reinstall an earlier version of UO 1.13.8 and then disable updates to the extension.

There is more info here.

Not sure exactly how and if this issue affects Palemoon since I have an older version of the extension set in PM and it works fine but just wanted to point out that the latest version of FF itself is having an issue with that latest version of UO and perhaps there is some connection to possible problems with UO in PM. Don't know.

Added: Looks like there have been further updates to the extension but don't know much about them.
I'm going to keep UO 1.13.8 on FF for now since it seems to work smoothly. And I'm going to leave PM alone since it has no issues with the UO I have installed in it.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-31, 10:42

tenseys wrote:Ublock Origin works great with my Palemoon browser. I installed UO to PM a few weeks ago and then disabled any automatic updates to it (not the list updates).
It will no longer automatically update in Pale Moon anyhow, nor will you receive notifications. You have to go to the uBo Releases page at GitHub and fetch the latest release (or pre-release if you like).
tenesys wrote:The latest version of ublock origin for FF is a webextension hybrid version.
Yes and no.The latest version available at AMO was initially the hybrid edition (though R. Hill intends to replace it with the full WebExt) which created massive problems for FF 55. If you go to the Releases page, you can get the latest version in your choice of WebExt, hybrid, or XUL ("legacy"). The XUL edition is the one with firefox in the link name, e.g. uBlock0.firefox.xpi

BTW, I just installed XUL version 1.14.2 from that link above, and I got the beloved blue dot. :thumbup: The XUL edition is the one we want for Pale Moon or SeaMonkey, not to mention Fx 52 ESR (if we don't want WebExt).

In short, don't try to download uBo from AMO anymore. Go to GitHub.

So that brings ups an issue, shouldn't the Pale Moon Add-ons site stop pointing users to AMO, since only the WebExt edition will be made available there, but instead point them to the Releases page at GitHub?
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-08-31, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-08-31, 11:01

gracious1 wrote:
tenseys wrote:In short, don't try to download uBo from AMO anymore. Go to GitHub. So that brings ups an issue, shouldn't the Pale Moon Add-ons site stop pointing users to AMO, since only the WebExt version will be made available there, but instead point them to the Releases page at GitHub?
Thanks for the info. I've been meaning to look into FF ESR. I'm going to check that out.

I did a test and uninstalled UO from PM and went to the add on section on the Palemoon site and attempted to install UO from that amo link choosing "download anyway" and it failed to install. Maybe something like this is what the OP saw at some point.

So then solution for PM at least for now is to go here:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.14.2

and install "uBlock0.firefox.xpi" second from the top.

I also see the blue dot. Thanks again.
Last edited by tenseys on 2017-08-31, 11:42, edited 3 times in total.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-08-31, 11:16

Ah, nevermind. I see you grabbed the 1.14.2 version here:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.14.2

Or as you said go here and look for latest release.

Seems have to use here for FF55.