Problem playing MP4/H.264 videos Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Placebo

Re: Problem playing MP4/H.264 videos

Unread post by Placebo » 2017-11-23, 19:23

asimperson wrote:I had this exact same issue after updating Windows and fixed it the exact same way

If anyone else sees this, the workaround is to go to the Apps & features settings panel, type "HEVC" in the search box, and then uninstall Microsoft-owned HEVC extensions.
Just popped in to say thank you for your post which resolved the issue for me :)

Pawpcorn

Unread post by Pawpcorn » 2017-11-28, 16:42

asimperson wrote:I had this exact same issue after updating Windows and fixed it the exact same way

If anyone else sees this, the workaround is to go to the Apps & features settings panel, type "HEVC" in the search box, and then uninstall Microsoft-owned HEVC extensions.
OMG, such a lifesaver, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

4 days of spinning gears on another thread here, with NO answers... until I stumbled upon this one...!!!

I would do the instructions as:
Easy steps!!! Go to the big search window in the bottom Windows tool bar, type Apps & features, on the resultant setting panel, wait for the list of apps to load, then scroll down settings panel, then scroll down to the (MicrosoftOwned) "HEVC", click on that, and then uninstall the Microsoft-owned HEVC extensions, Reboot, and Voila!!! Pale Moon once again plays all the videos...!!!! AND YouTube again offers 1080p Resolution video options settings!!!!

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-12-04, 03:55

BeefJerky wrote:Unfortunately, I have to bring this back to the top. With the most recent Fall Creators Update, it installs by default a new HEVC codec. Once uninstalled, Pale Moon once again works properly with all web videos as expected.
Thanks for finding a solution to this.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-12-05, 04:20

Off-topic:
Odd, it didn't install it as default for my desktop and laptop. So, go figure.

A Monell

Unread post by A Monell » 2017-12-13, 11:25

I was having a problem as well, found HEVC in apps&features didn't uninstall but found "reset" in advanced and clicked it. It had a check mark by reset after. Rebooted and the videos work! (at least the first few I tried). Funny thing is now there is no HEVC listed in apps&features ? like they say if it aint there it aint broken.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-12-15, 16:55

A Monell wrote:but found "reset" in advanced and clicked it. It had a check mark by reset after. Rebooted and the videos work! (at least the first few I tried).
Where is that?

Alexium 67
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Alexium 67 » 2017-12-15, 17:09

I want i ask Pale Moon devs. Is it possible to make PM work fine with this system extension installed? Deleting it may cause problems with playback h.265 videos in other programs like Movies & TV etc.

Alexium 67
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Alexium 67 » 2017-12-16, 10:16

Alexium 67 wrote:Deleting it may cause problems with playback h.265 videos in other programs like Movies & TV etc.
Never mind. This extension causes problems with others programs. Itself. For example Movies & TV not playing H265 video with that extensions. After removing (resetting) - playing only sound :D

pietb

Unread post by pietb » 2018-03-12, 14:24

Moonchild wrote:Unfortunately this is a problem with your operating system, not the browser.
Really?
Just got a new pc with Win10 and right away ran into this problem.
I've got 4 browsers: latest PaleMoon (32-bit), latest Firefox ESR (32-bit), latest SeaMonkey (32-bit) and of course IE11 (plus a dormant no-name MS browser).
FF, SM and IE play YouTube HD like a charm, it's only PM that fails; perhaps it doesn't see or can't cope with WMF. Then is the OS to blame for that or PM?
I've tried the suggestion to remove HEVC, but to no avail.

Turtleman

Unread post by Turtleman » 2018-03-14, 13:00

I have an old machine with a Phenom II uC running the latest 64-bit version of Win10 Pro. I just got another machine using an Intel i7-7700, running the same 64-bit version of Win 10. Here's the problem:

Videos on MSN play fine with Pale Moon on the AMD machine. Trying to play the exact same thing on the same version of PM on the Intel machine, I get "We're sorry, but your browser does not support this video. Please install Adobe flash version 10 or later." The latest Flash IS installed and turned on, and there's no problem playing videos from other sites like Yahoo, YouTube, etc. It's only on MSN and I don't have a clue! Any suggestions?
Last edited by Turtleman on 2018-03-14, 17:59, edited 2 times in total.

BeefJerky

Unread post by BeefJerky » 2018-08-23, 08:23

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update it. With v28 version of Pale Moon, the MPEG2 extension no longer seems to cause issues. I can now have it installed (which makes my HDHomeRun app happy) and Pale Moon seems to work fine with all forms of video.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-08-23, 08:28

BeefJerky wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update it. With v28 version of Pale Moon, the MPEG2 extension no longer seems to cause issues. I can now have it installed (which makes my HDHomeRun app happy) and Pale Moon seems to work fine with all forms of video.
Yes, PM 28 has solved the HEVC/MPEG2 Extensions issue:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17704
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-08-23, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.