64 bit - why dedicated GPU?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Paradise

64 bit - why dedicated GPU?

Unread post by Paradise » 2017-08-07, 11:07

Since over the years i switched from Waterfox to Cyberfox and now Pale Moon i wonder about:
These downloads are native 64-bit versions of the browser, designed for 64-bit versions of Windows on modern hardware with dedicated GPUs.
If you are running on embedded graphics or a lower-end laptop, you may want to grab the 32-bit version instead.
None of the other 64 bit browsers where talking about dedicated GPU vs integrated GPU.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: 64 bit - why dedicated GPU?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-07, 11:19

64-bit video drivers on low-end/mobile hardware or integrated GPUs often leave much to be desired. Pale Moon x64 is designed to run best with a dedicated GPU (not a dual-GPU setup either). It's a strong recommendation to prevent headaches down the road.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Paradise

Unread post by Paradise » 2017-08-07, 15:26

So i guess most people then use the 32 bit build.

To bad because the reason switching to Waterfox a couple of years ago was to have a 64 bit browser.
Even with a dGPU it does not make sense to disable the iGPU in the bios.

Also today normally the 64bit video codecs are a bit faster, less demanding.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-07, 15:50

It's up to you. this is a strong recommendation. If you insist you can use the 64-bit version on an iGP hybrid system, but the x64 Intel drivers are notoriously bad dealing with dedicated GPU drawing surfaces composited into a desktop. So if you run into trouble on that kind of system, don't be shocked.

There's nothing wrong with the 64-bit browser, and there's nothing wrong with using it on a normal desktop setup either. In addition, there's nothing wrong with the 32-bit version either and it will do just fine for every normal usage scenario of the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Paradise

Unread post by Paradise » 2017-08-07, 16:31

Moonchild wrote:the x64 Intel drivers are notoriously bad dealing with dedicated GPU drawing surfaces composited into a desktop.
Sorry if I don't understand really what you mean by this sentence (I'm German).

I know people are using iGPU and dGPU together on HTPCs and video work to spread the workload. They use Intel Quick Sync for one thing and CUDA for something else at the same time.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-08-07, 16:44

Paradise wrote:
Moonchild wrote:the x64 Intel drivers are notoriously bad dealing with dedicated GPU drawing surfaces composited into a desktop.
Sorry if I don't understand really what you mean by this sentence (I'm German).

I know people are using iGPU and dGPU together on HTPCs and video work to spread the workload. They use Intel Quick Sync for one thing and CUDA for something else at the same time.
How would that work exactly?

Paradise

Unread post by Paradise » 2017-08-07, 18:06

If i remember right for example you can use Quick Sync to stream and Nvidia NVENC for recording at the same time.
Or editing software can use one for the preview and the other for encoding.

There was a program at the time when the Intel iGPUs game out where you could set what program should use which graphics card.

SemiKebab

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2017-08-28, 21:17

Moonchild wrote:the x64 Intel drivers are notoriously bad dealing with dedicated GPU drawing surfaces composited into a desktop
Interesting, what are the issues (performances, hangs, glitches, tearing…)?

Is there some way to determine if the computer is affected by such driver issues?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-29, 11:11

SemiKebab wrote:Interesting, what are the issues (performances, hangs, glitches, tearing…)?
Anything from drawing glitches to BSODs.