Spotify broken

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Brian

Spotify broken

Unread post by Brian » 2017-08-03, 15:34

I can't login to Spotify using my username/password. It just resets the page. If I pick login with facebook, it gets past the login, but then says I need to install Flash, which is.

I do have the user agent set to Firefox Compatibility.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Spotify broken

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-08-03, 19:37

Since you are not getting any traffic as yet I thought I would test what I could.

I don't have an account with spotify.com but just trying an invalid log-in I get an expected result (incorrect username or password banner):
non-existent account to spotify.com log-in test..png
If you try an incorrect (non-existent) log-in attempt do you get this or do you get what you were getting before, that is a "page reset"?

The reason I ask is because if your results are different than mine and you instead get a "page reset" then your issue is inconsistent and in that case your problem would likely be unique to your environment. If so you should try the log-in page using Pale Moon in "safe-mode" to eliminate the possibility that an add-on is interfering with the log-in (Go to PM "Help" > "Restart with Add-ons Disabled...", click on "Continue in Safe Mode" button and test log-in). Note: PM will exit "safe-mode" when you close browser.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2017-08-03, 19:50

If you try an incorrect (non-existent) log-in attempt do you get this or do you get what you were getting before, that is a "page reset"?
I'm not sure. Without a real un/pw, it goes through a seemly never ending cycle of clicking pictures for a security check. Those drive me insane. I'll try again another time.

Thanks.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-08-03, 22:53

Brian wrote:
I'm not sure. Without a real un/pw, it goes through a seemly never ending cycle of clicking pictures for a security check. Those drive me insane. I'll try again another time.

Thanks.
If I enter a log-in that does not exist (since I don't have an account) if you notice UID "my login id" and just type anything for PWD I ONLY get the prompt (with the "incorrect username or password" banner warning) immediately rendered as illustrated in the screen-shot I posted above and do not get anything else as you describe.

Try using Pale Moon in "safe-mode" as I suggested previously and test the log-in page in that mode and report back with your results.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2017-08-07, 16:54

I tried safe mode, but still get "To enjoy Spotify, please install Adobe Flash."

Also odd, I get a message that says they've updated terms and click to agree. I agreed but after closing and logging in again, I got the same message.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-08-07, 18:34

You could try clearing the Spotify.com cookies:
Step1:
Click the circled icon in address bar then click "More information..." button
Click the circled icon in address bar then click "More information..." button
Step2:
Click on "View cookies" (under "Security" tab) to view all spotify cookies
Click on "View cookies" (under "Security" tab) to view all spotify cookies
Step 3:
Select all (spotify) cookies then click on "Remove cookies" button
Select all (spotify) cookies then click on "Remove cookies" button
Test site.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2017-08-07, 18:59

^ Done. No change.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-08-07, 19:23

What version of flash do you have?

I have v26.0.0.131 and have it set to "always activate".

Massimo_B
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Massimo_B » 2018-06-15, 11:34

I have flash 30.0.0.113 installed on Gentoo Linux with binary Palemoon 27.6.2, and Spotify doesn't work either, the web player is just a black page. Login works.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2018-06-15, 13:55

I have a Spotify account; it works. Adobe Flash 30.0.0.113.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2018-06-18, 20:30

If I don't setup the useragent, spotify tells me the web player isn't compatible with this browser. If I do setup the useragent, I get a black screen just like Massimo_B. I also don't have any issue with login.
Last edited by gi_jimbo on 2018-06-18, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-19, 11:14

the web player is just a black page. Login works.
Confirmed.

If spotify uses Flash, have to figure it is a fallback, & is only because it is detecting that the particular browser does not support DRM.
Does PM support DRM?
If not, then html5/DRM playback will not work on spotify.

But by spoofing your UA, to something like FF 60, that tells spotify that your browser does (theoretically does) support DRM (& likewise no reason to serve you Flash), & that likely could be the reason for the black screen.

So for those PM users, where spotify does work, why is it working for you?
What useragent are you using?

On a hunch (based on discussion earlier, elsewhere), try this useragent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0

With that, you get a Flash interface & music does play.
Last edited by therube on 2018-06-19, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-19, 11:35

Pale Moon has not, does not, and will not support in-browser DRM.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2018-06-19, 14:31

"So for those PM users, where spotify does work, why is it working for you? What useragent are you using?"

I do not have a UA specifically for Spotify, and Spotify doesn't come up as a web site anyway, like iTunes doesn't come up as a web site, so I'm not sure the UA issue applies here.

EDIT: I now realize you're talking about logging in to the Spotify web site, not the desktop application. I went to the website and logged in with no problem. Didn't try to do anything--guess it works.
Last edited by van p on 2018-06-19, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-20, 04:20

I now realize you're talking about logging in to the Spotify web site
Yes the website.
And no, without spoofing the UA, you will not be able to play any music (through their website).
And, not every UA (gecko version) will give you that ability either.
try this useragent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0

With that, you get a Flash interface & music does play.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2018-06-20, 04:38

therube, I went back to the website and logged in. I guess "Web Player" at the bottom of the screen is what you're talking about; that doesn't work. When I click on it I get a plain black screen. However it does work in Waterfox, and probably Cyberfox as well.