Newbies questions....

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Newbies questions....

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 09:21

micheleyquem wrote:One more...

I arranged my search engines, but cannot find how to add a few more wikipedia versions, in other languages than english.

HOw do I do that, please?

Also... what does the browser extension do? CCM does not tell us...
Do the following as illustrated to add search engines:
Click on what is pointed out.png
Then add the URL to a search engine you want to add and "Save" which will add that search engine to your list. You can then drag the search engine to any location you want in the list.
add search engine to start.me.png
You will have to elaborate on what you man by CCM and your question about the browser extension (what extension?)/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

micheleyquem

Unread post by micheleyquem » 2017-07-26, 09:30

:) "You will have to elaborate on what you man by CCM and your question about the browser extension (what extension?)"

http://ccm.net/faq/40153-start-me-creat ... ur-browser

In the mean time, I have been trying out start.me, and in the end could not find anything really useful or new, and decided to uninstall and delete my accout again.
It I looks practical at first impression, but does nothing that the usual bookmark menu does not also do, and f.e. in the finance section shows data for which there are better versions.

Is there a profile, like the firefox profile, and can it be used to cops the bookmarks, or, is there another recommended way to copy the bookmarks?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 09:45

Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-26, 13:27

micheleyquem wrote:I chose the title Newbie questions, because I will probably have more questions, until I am totally set. Should I use this thread or start a new one?
Off-topic:
Generally it's better to open one thread per problem. You can let this thread run for the startme customization. If you have more questions/issues, I suggest you open a thread for each with title describing the problem concisely.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-26, 14:14

Pale Moon Rising wrote:On the subject of Speed Dial, I also use occasionally that "Speed Dial" add-on
Perhaps JustOff's 'Speed Start' deserves to be mentioned too?:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/speed-start/

Regarding start.me..
Those kind of services seems to exist only for the single purpose of tracking people, and therefore should be avoided, IMO.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 16:03

Tomaso wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:On the subject of Speed Dial, I also use occasionally that "Speed Dial" add-on

Regarding start.me..
Those kind of services seems to exist only for the single purpose of tracking people, and therefore should be avoided, IMO.
It's easy enough to block trackers. I use Disconnect for this and I would add that uBlock also offers Disconnects 3rd-party Filter Subscription as well, but I prefer the monitoring made available by using the specific extension (and btw, while you might find literally 100's of requests on some sites it happens that start.me only has two "Analytics" requests and nothing more). Oh and btw, Pale Moon is partnering with start.me as well so that's something to consider. ;)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-26, 16:34

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Disconnects 3rd-party Filter Subscription
Yeah, I'm using those filters myself.
..but even if you're able to block 100% of their tracking (which I would imagine to be very difficult), I don't even see the point in letting them build a profile on you based on your bookmarks.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 16:53

Tomaso wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Disconnects 3rd-party Filter Subscription
Yeah, I'm using those filters myself.
..but even if you're able to block 100% of their tracking (which I would imagine to be very difficult), I don't even see the point in letting them build a profile on you based on your bookmarks.
IMO, as long as they are NOT tracking my activity (and I see no evidence of this) then I'm not disturbed regarding a profile, but I understand your concerns. Fact is just using a browser on the Internet has inherently similar issues as well (of which we all do our best to reduce to a minimum which I'm assuming is the case using a number of privacy extensions as I do). Fact is in the case of Disconnect, the entire purpose of the extension is to block trackers (so if this extension fails to do what it's designed to do, well so be it, I'm doing the best I can ;)).

The start.me is a very powerful start-page with a myriad of options (features, about) and I haven't detected any privacy issues so far (at some stage you've got to take some chances to make the Internet more useful, imho).

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-07-26, 17:42

Disconnect isn't compatible with my PM 27.4 (64bit), your link is also dead for it PMR. When I try to dld and install it (found it manually) I'm told that the file is corrupted.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 18:18

rabnbeinn wrote:Disconnect isn't compatible with my PM 27.4 (64bit), your link is also dead for it PMR. When I try to dld and install it (found it manually) I'm told that the file is corrupted.
The link works for me, to clarify I didn't mean this for the download for installing extension (this is their ad page, I apologize for the confusion :oops:, I wasn't intending on providing the extension install page).

Pale Moon compatible AMO link: Disconnect Version 3.15.3.1-signed.1-signed, again - sorry about that. ;)

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-07-26, 18:28

Thanks for clearing that up PMR :thumbup:

Will give our compatible alternative a go.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-07-26, 21:01

micheleyquem wrote:startme cannot be altered to individual needs....
That's not true. You can customize the Start.me page very easily, as I have done.
I rearranged a few things, and have certain sites at the top of the page. I didn't delete all the social website widgets, but if you want to, you can completely remove them.
And you don't have to create an account if you don't want to. After you are done customizing, just click on the avatar, select Preferences, and then copy the URL for Account Recovery and save it to a text file. Use that to get to your customized, anonymous page.
So I will install FVD Speed Dial, which I have been using as homepage for years.
You can also use the URL about:newtab to get Pale Moon's built-in speed-dial.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

zerogravity

Unread post by zerogravity » 2017-07-26, 21:32

FVD Speed Dial
Literally spyware.
gracious1 wrote: And you don't have to create an account if you don't want to. After you are done customizing, just click on the avatar, select Preferences, and then copy the URL for Account Recovery and save it to a text file. Use that to get to your customized, anonymous page.
Not deliberately registering an account does not make you anonymous, the entropy of the URL of your customized page is so high that it is practically guaranteed to be unique and therefore not anonymous. Still better than the one running malware with full user rights though, it dawns on me why MozCorp decided to replace their extensions with sandboxed google apps.

micheleyquem

Unread post by micheleyquem » 2017-07-27, 03:12

Tomaso wrote:

Regarding start.me..
I had that suspicion too, so I unistalled it pretty fast. And as I prefer simple bookmarks, I usually used Fast Dial. I does everything I want, except, still work on FIrefox. But it does on Pale Moon... Only, I cannot, for a reason I do not understand, make it may homepage....

micheleyquem

Unread post by micheleyquem » 2017-07-27, 03:20

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
Tomaso wrote:

Regarding start.me..
It's easy enough to block trackers. I use Disconnect for this and I would add that uBlock also offers Disconnects 3rd-party Filter Subscription as well, but I prefer the monitoring made available by using the specific extension (and btw, while you might find literally 100's of requests on some sites it happens that start.me only has two "Analytics" requests and nothing more). Oh and btw, Pale Moon is partnering with start.me as well so that's something to consider. ;)
I use Disconnect AND webrtc, there was a long a discussion about this, and you want to use both, but it does not seem to work on pale moon...?

I found that there is no way to add French, german, Japanese Wikipedia?
The Disable WebRTC add-on cannot be added?
Morning coffee add on does not exist?
Which I can get around, by using a bookmark folder. When I open a folder from the bookmark list, it does offer to click on: "Open All Bookmarks in this folder"

And I want to set Fast Dial, an add.on as my homepage, but palemoon does not want to accept that. Probably I am doing something wrong?

Thanks once more everybody....

micheleyquem

Unread post by micheleyquem » 2017-07-27, 03:30

gracious1 wrote:
micheleyquem wrote:startme cannot be altered to individual needs....
That's not true. You can customize the Start.me page very easily, as I have done.
I rearranged a few things, and have certain sites at the top of the page. I didn't delete all the social website widgets, but if you want to, you can completely remove them.
And you don't have to create an account if you don't want to. After you are done customizing, just click on the avatar, select Preferences, and then copy the URL for Account Recovery and save it to a text file. Use that to get to your customized, anonymous page.
So I will install FVD Speed Dial, which I have been using as homepage for years.
You can also use the URL about:newtab to get Pale Moon's built-in speed-dial.
My experience was different. It would not let me do anything without opening an NEW account. When I tried to fill in the application page towards the end it asked me for my old password, which is a bit strange with a new account, so I stopped.
A few minutes later I had to see, that start-me welcomed me with my name, without having sent an application, showing that it is not anything I want on my computer. But... no problem, I prefer Fast Dial, which is basically the same as newtab, I will check that one out.
My two problems remain that I cannot add "Disable webRTC", and that I cannot add Wikipedia in other languages.... how do I make that my homepage, it is anot accepted in "options", it just opens a new empty tab

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-27, 03:43

micheleyquem wrote:
Tomaso wrote:

Regarding start.me..
I had that suspicion too, so I unistalled it pretty fast. And as I prefer simple bookmarks, I usually used Fast Dial. I does everything I want, except, still work on FIrefox. But it does on Pale Moon... Only, I cannot, for a reason I do not understand, make it may homepage....
As I had posted, in my opinion any concern regarding this to the extent it's even a relevant factor is moot on the basis of using add-ons to block trackers such as in the case of the Disconnect add-on among other security software.

As to setting Fastdial as your Pale Moon start-page, setting the browser home page to "chrome://fastdial/content/fastdial.html" doesn't work?
Setting Home-page.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-27, 03:47

micheleyquem wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:
Tomaso wrote:

Regarding start.me..
I use Disconnect AND webrtc, there was a long a discussion about this, and you want to use both, but it does not seem to work on pale moon...?....
I don't recall mentioning webrtc at all (in fact, until know I wasn't even aware of this add-on and I don't use a VNP anyway). The only thing I've mentioned is the first extension you mentioned. :?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-07-27, 03:55

I have been using Speed Dial 0.9.6.17.1-signed for years with no spyware or junk. I have had no phone home issues or anything of the sort. Super simple and customizable. You can even tab your different type of dials, choose your background and colors and such. It has the ability to back up your settings so you can take them to another computer and it's all local, no cloud.....
speeddial.jpg

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-27, 04:44

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I have been using Speed Dial 0.9.6.17.1-signed for years with no spyware or junk. I have had no phone home issues or anything of the sort. Super simple and customizable. You can even tab your different type of dials, choose your background and colors and such. It has the ability to back up your settings so you can take them to another computer and it's all local, no cloud.....
speeddial.jpg
I had posted this on the first page:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:On the subject of Speed Dial, I also use occasionally that "Speed Dial" add-onas illustrated below:
Speed Dial extension example.png
Looks like FVD Speed Dial works about the same way....
But as you can see in my screen-shot, I've never been able to figure out how to fill out the full page (notice left/right margins). I had asked you about this probably over a year ago in another topic. ;) Way back then I gave up on this and went with start.me. Any ideas on how to extend the links all the way across the page using Speed Dial the same as you have done?