XDA forums not rendering properly

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
vertigo220

XDA forums not rendering properly

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-25, 15:36

Is anyone else having issues with xda not rendering correctly? I tried completely disabling NoScript and uMatrix and it was still acting like there was unloaded JavaScript, because everything was just loaded without any formatting as basic text in paragraphs. And while the thread I was trying to use would at least finish loading, albeit in this broken state, the main page would never stop loading. I had to switch rendering engines with Fire IE in order for it to display properly, and even then it just felt off, I'm assuming due to being rendered in the IE engine.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: XDA forums not rendering properly

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-25, 15:59

I am not a member of the forum, but I don't appear to have issues bringing up the xda forum webpage:
xda forums.png
No need to disable either NoScript or uMatrix in my case.
Do you have to log-in for the problems to show?
Can you post a screen-shot and/or link?
Have you tried the website in safe-mode?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-26, 01:11

Loaded it in a private tab (so I wouldn't be logged in) and it's the same. Not 100% sure, but almost certain this is the first time I've tried to use the site since finally updating to v27 a few days ago. Didn't have this issue before the update. Also have half of my addons disabled as I'm trying to troubleshoot another issue I'm having, so while it's possible it's an addon issue, there's not many left that could be the culprit.
2017-07-25_210801.png

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-26, 01:49

Ok, so I restarted in safe mode and it worked, found out the problem was with ABPrime (EasyList). Did a search of the filters for "xda-developers" and got a bunch of hits. Disabling the second one (full info below) seems to have fixed the problem. Not sure why this is suddenly an issue, though. When I updated to v27, I switched from ABEdge, but they both use the same filter list, so I don't know if it's a crazy coincidence or if there's something wrong with ABPrime. Next step will be to reinstall ABE and see what happens.

BTW, it's a good thing I don't trust the built-in session restore capabilities and periodically bookmark my tabs as a backup, and that I did so before using safe mode, because when I relaunched PM in normal mode, it didn't reopen my tabs. That could have really sucked.

Filter rule content:

$webrtc,domain=allkpop.com|alltube.tv|androidcentral.com|boards2go.com|bolde.com|britannica.com|businessnewsdaily.com|buzzfil.net|champion.gg|clicknupload.link|closerweekly.com|collegehumor.com|connectedly.com|crackberry.com|destructoid.com|dorkly.com|eztv.ag|firstforwomen.com|freewarefiles.com|geekzone.co.nz|go4up.com|gorillavid.in|grammarist.com|healthline.com|imore.com|intouchweekly.com|investopedia.com|j-14.com|jpost.com|kiplinger.com|laptopmag.com|lifeandstylemag.com|lolcounter.com|mac-torrents.com|mashable.com|merriam-webster.com|newsarama.com|nydailynews.com|phonearena.com|probuilds.net|readmanga.today|skidrowreloaded.com|sourceforge.net|space.com|spanishdict.com|streamfilmzzz.com|streamzzz.online|teamliquid.net|teslacentral.com|theberry.com|thechive.com|thepoliticalinsider.com|tomsguide.com|tomshardware.co.uk|tomshardware.com|topix.com|uploading.site|uptobox.com|vidtodo.com|vidzi.tv|vrheads.com|watchtvserieslive.org|windowscentral.com|womansworld.com|xda-developers.com

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-26, 02:08

Ok, final update. Apparently ABE isn't available anymore, so I tried AB Latitude, and xda worked fine with that. The filter I mentioned that breaks it, as well as the one right after it (and I think I saw others as well), didn't have a checkbox to even be able to select it. So it appears that with ABE and ABL some filters are there but inactive and can't be used, and AB' has them not only selectable but selected by default. So I'll point the dev of that addon to this thread to bring this issue to their attention.

Also, I had my tabs get wiped out again, which made me realize the setting of what to do when launching PM was changed from 'Show my windows and tabs from last time' to 'Show my home page.' I'm assuming this happened because of disabling TMP, but I wanted to point it out as a warning to backup current tabs should be given whenever directing someone to use safe mode, and should even be given by the browser when the user is trying to do so.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 07:40

I use ABPrime and apparently didn't have any trouble with this site, but then I don't use Easy List in ABPrime as I use the 3rd-party filter subscriptions in uBlock where I actually DO use Easy List in the uBlock extension (so somethings different between the two Easy List's apparently).

btw, You can set Pale Moon up so that you will see this prompt when exiting the browser which allows you to optionally save the tabs as they are so the next time you launch the browser you will get what you had before:
Save and Quit option.png
This Browser Exit option is controlled by the preference setting: browser.showQuitWarning (which of course would be set to "true" in about:config)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 09:02

^ Follow-up: I should add the following - which is to say if you happen to occasionally forget to click the "Save and Quit" or mistakenly select "Quit" when you intended to "Save and Quite" there is a way to get your last session back by using "History" > "Restore Previous Session" (which has saved me a number of times ;)).
If you forget - restore previous session saves you.png

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-26, 14:16

The 'Save and Quit' feature isn't really necessary, and wouldn't help in this situation, as the option to restore the tabs and windows from the previous session does the same thing automatically, without an additional prompt being necessary, and would be what most people would use, as it's more obvious and easier to find and accomplishes the same thing, again without the extra step. And so most people would be relying on it to work and, like me, would be caught off guard when using safe mode disables it. Though the option under history could certainly be useful, will have to remember that.

So if I'm only using ABPrime for EasyList, is there even any reason to use it? Or should I just use EasyList in uBlock and not even run ABPrime?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-07-26, 14:53

vertigo220 wrote:So if I'm only using ABPrime for EasyList, is there even any reason to use it? Or should I just use EasyList in uBlock and not even run ABPrime?

It can be problematic to run multiple adblockers concurrently. Just pick the one you prefer.
(See this post.)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 15:36

vertigo220 wrote:The 'Save and Quit' feature isn't really necessary, and wouldn't help in this situation, as the option to restore the tabs and windows from the previous session does the same thing automatically, without an additional prompt being necessary, and would be what most people would use, as it's more obvious and easier to find and accomplishes the same thing, again without the extra step. And so most people would be relying on it to work and, like me, would be caught off guard when using safe mode disables it. Though the option under history could certainly be useful, will have to remember that.

So if I'm only using ABPrime for EasyList, is there even any reason to use it? Or should I just use EasyList in uBlock and not even run ABPrime?
Except that if you use (as in my case) the "Are you sure you want to quit" prompt for multiple tabs option then it isn't an extra step since I'd get the prompt in any case as it amount to just another added option button within a close prompt warning that I would be clicking on each time anyway at the time I close the browser. :idea:

I use ABPrime for only one 3rd-party Filter Subscription, that being "Disable Malware" which isn't provided in uBlock. (I wouldn't expect issues as long as there isn't any 3rd-party Filter Subscription overlap imho)

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-26, 16:02

True, and I see now there's a checkbox to have it not ask in the future.

As for uBlock vs ABPrime, I'm not asking in order to avoid conflicts between the two, as I know uBlock and ABE work fine together, so I would assume it would be the same with ABPrime. I just figure if I can accomplish the same thing with one less addon, meaning a little faster startup and less memory usage, then that would be great.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 16:12

vertigo220 wrote:True, and I see now there's a checkbox to have it not ask in the future.
That's doing the same thing as going into about:config and disabling the browser closing prompt pref.
vertigo220 wrote:As for uBlock vs ABPrime, I'm not asking in order to avoid conflicts between the two, as I know uBlock and ABE work fine together, so I would assume it would be the same with ABPrime. I just figure if I can accomplish the same thing with one less addon, meaning a little faster startup and less memory usage, then that would be great.
And if one likes to use the "Disable Malware" 3rd-party Subscription Filter then ABPrime offers this filter as opposed to uBlock that does not as far as I'm aware. uBlock offers a very large array of 3rd-party Subscription Filters that can be ena'bled/disable but this specific one is not listed by uBlock. ABPrime has the added benefit of providing the user the personalization of offering choices as far as adding your own 3rd-party Filter Subscriptions (of which I use the "Disable Malware" subscription only).

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-26, 16:43

I don't even see the malware list in ABPrime, and since I've apparently been fine without it and generally don't worry too much about malware, and it seems that, aside from that list, ABPrime is just a redundancy with uBlock running, I guess that's one less addon I need to have running.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 17:01

vertigo220 wrote:I don't even see the malware list in ABPrime, and since I've apparently been fine without it and generally don't worry too much about malware, and it seems that, aside from that list, ABPrime is just a redundancy with uBlock running, I guess that's one less addon I need to have running.
You have to add the filter as I posted above (of which uBlock does not include):
Pale Moon Rising wrote:ABPrime has the added benefit of providing the user the personalization of offering choices as far as adding your own 3rd-party Filter Subscriptions (of which I use the "Disable Malware" subscription only).
I've had issues with malware in the past, it all depends upon whether you use your computer exclusively which in that case as long as you're careful then probably not a problem. On the other hand, if others might sometimes use your computer then it's always a good idea to protect against possible malware (I have others who tend to visit a lot of places when surfing the net).

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-26, 17:57

I very rarely let others use my main computer and, if I do, I open a different browser for them to use, so they don't mess up my tabs, because IME people tend to be fairly oblivious and don't know what they're doing and close tabs or even the whole browser. Though, I've never really considered the possibility of them getting malware, mainly due to running good protection software and not letting them sit there and surf (it's usually just to check their email or something), but I suppose in the future I'll have to try and remember to put them in a sandboxed browser, just in case. But I trust the combination of myself, ad/script/flash blocking, and my protection software to prevent issues with malware and, knock on wood, haven't had any issues in probably over a decade. And my mom's computer, which I recently set up with both uBlock and AB Latitude, is running Windows in a VM inside of Linux, so I'm not worried about malware there, since worst-case scenario it would just be reverted to the latest snapshot.

All that said, I still can't figure out where the malware filter is you're referring to. There's a relatively short list of available filters showing in ABPrime, and none mention malware.

Also, just saw the post by coffeebreak, and while AFAIK I've never had issues from it, it's certainly something to bear in mind, and I do tend to have issues with Pale Moon on a regular basis, so I suppose it's possible doing this might be at least partially to blame. I guess I'll see if any of those issues resolve when I switch to just using uBlock.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-26, 18:11

vertigo220 wrote:... I still can't figure out where the malware filter is you're referring to. There's a relatively short list of available filters showing in ABPrime, and none mention malware.
Method to add additional subscriptions to ABPrime (click on screen-shot to enlarge to improve readability)
Method to add additional subscriptions to ABPrime (click on screen-shot to enlarge to improve readability)

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-26, 20:55

Yeah, I looked there. Not in the dropdown that comes up nor is it in the window that comes up when clicking 'Add a different subscription.' I figured either you were adding it some other way or it just wasn't showing up for me for some reason. Looks like it's the latter. Interesting.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-27, 04:33

vertigo220 wrote:Yeah, I looked there. Not in the dropdown that comes up nor is it in the window that comes up when clicking 'Add a different subscription.' I figured either you were adding it some other way or it just wasn't showing up for me for some reason. Looks like it's the latter. Interesting.
Click on the following optional function (circled):
Don't you get this to add different subscriptions.png
In the next interface that is rendered look toward the bottom where you can just give the filter subscription a title (in my case I decided on "Disable Malware") and use this URL for the filter list: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus. ... s_full.txt

I added this EastList malware filter some time ago, but if I'm not mistaken this is what I recall as far as what the procedure was to add this malware filter subscription. ;)

Btw, you can type that URL into your address bar to get the actual filter list in case your interested (also if interested: Known Adblock Plus subscriptions)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-07-27, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-07-27, 04:51

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I use ABPrime for only one 3rd-party Filter Subscription, that being "Disable Malware" which isn't provided in uBlock.
Pale Moon Rising wrote:And if one likes to use the "Disable Malware" 3rd-party Subscription Filter then ABPrime offers this filter as opposed to uBlock that does not as far as I'm aware. uBlock offers a very large array of 3rd-party Subscription Filters that can be ena'bled/disable but this specific one is not listed by uBlock.

It's listed in uBO as 'Malware domains'. ABP needed it rewritten with ABP filter syntax, since ABP couldn't parse it as a host file (which uBO can do) but other than that, they are the same list.
uBO-malwareList.png
It's possible to add the ABP version to uBO as a custom filter subscription if one wishes - there's a section for this at the bottom of the '3rd-party filters' tab, documentation here.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-07-27, 21:16

XDA works here fine. Even with NoScript, uBlock Origin, uMatrix and Pi-Hole