How to get rid of Browser Compatibility nag banner when UAO does not appear to help? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

How to get rid of Browser Compatibility nag banner when UAO does not appear to help?

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-22, 20:54

I can't seem to find a way to get rid of this browser compatibility banner nag. If I log-in again during the same browser session then I won't get the banner, so it only occurs when starting the browser up and logging-in to the website for the first time (I do not clear cache on browser exit and save all site cookies).
Not Useragent sniffing.png
I have tried the following UA Overrides (among others):
1) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1 Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
2) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0

One would think that either would work with these compatibility requirements:
Browser compatibility.png
The second UA Override setting posted above worked for a very long time but just in the past few weeks nothing seems to help as far as using a UA Override pref anymore.

What would this website be using to render this compatibility banner that would apparently bypass the UA Override pref settings?

Is there any clue in the fact that this only occurs on the first log-in attempt after starting the browser and does not for any subsequent log-ins during a specific browser session (even just a refresh page clears the banner)?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: How to get rid of Browser Compatibility nag banner when UAO does not appear to help?

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-22, 21:24

If the only recourse is contacting the corporation, well good luck with that!! --- we are talking about an international bank, Citibank --- they are not likely to have a concern regarding browsers outside of what is commonly considered the mainstream.... :think:

Fortunately it's basically a meaningless banner as the website works just fine (as one would expect) as far as I'm aware. It's just a bother to always have to see the dumb banner is all, which btw for smaller screens adds the inconvenience of rendering the log-in prompts below the observable page necessitating a scroll down to get to the prompts that would otherwise not be needed.... :(

I am curious what the website uses to render this banner if it's not due to UA sniffing (which the UA Override pref should resolve presumably)....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: How to get rid of Browser Compatibility nag banner when UAO does not appear to help?

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-23, 08:03

Pale Moon Rising wrote:If the only recourse is contacting the corporation, well good luck with that!! --- we are talking about an international bank, Citibank --- they are not likely to have a concern regarding browsers outside of what is commonly considered the mainstream.... :think:
Poke them about this. Don't hold yourself back thinking about the result; do what should be done. 8-)
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Is there any clue in the fact that this only occurs on the first log-in attempt after starting the browser and does not for any subsequent log-ins during a specific browser session (even just a refresh page clears the banner)?
Easily achieved using session cookies.

BTW I don't see the banner in "Firefox compatibility" mode on an older 27.1.1 version. No changes made to UA settings.
Using this URL (correct?) : https://online.citi.com/US/banking/citi ... g-overview
UA string reported:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.1.1

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 10:07

adesh wrote: Easily achieved using session cookies.

BTW I don't see the banner in "Firefox compatibility" mode on an older 27.1.1 version. No changes made to UA settings.
Using this URL (correct?) : https://online.citi.com/US/banking/citi ... g-overview
UA string reported:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.1.1
Using either of the two login URLS below (which I think would be the same result as the URL you posted):

1) https://online.citi.com/US/banking/citi.action?ID=banking
2) https://online.citi.com/US/login.do

Both produce warning banner on 1st bank log-in of browser session.

Are you saying that you DO get the browser compatibility banner in PM27.4 (like I do) and do NOT get the banner in PM27.1.1? (which would mean the problem is due to PM27.4)

Btw, I use Firefox Compatibility mode as well (and have tried numerous UA Override settings but no help).

What do you mean by can be "achieved using 'session' cookies"?

Should I protect all "session" cookies for the website?

I tried the following (blocked "browser warning" cookie, thinking this might block the banner):
Tried this in cookie keeper.png
and got this:
Tried this in cookie keeper results.png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 10:21

Follow-up: What is this website using to determine browser compatibility that causes UA Override settings to not be of any help?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-23, 10:39

Pale Moon Rising wrote:What do you mean by can be "achieved using 'session' cookies"?
Technology to show banner on every browser start-up. [Answer to one of your questions]
And don't turn those cookies off. I was not suggesting that.

Ok, a workaround. "browserwarning" is a session cookie, so it is cleared when the browser exits and you see the banner again. If somehow you can make sure that this cookie is persisted across browser restarts then your problem will be solved. Maybe extensions can help do that. But beware playing with cookies may corrupt your session.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 10:47

Thanks for your help, after doing some rather extensive searching for alternate log-in pages I decided for now to just go with this URL log-in:
https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do?Promo_ID=SPBL, it's a rather plain vanilla log-in page but does the job and avoids the annoying banner for now.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 10:52

It looks like this for me using PM27.4:
login page to go with for citibank.png
I just realized, I'd better test this URL in a new PM session....

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 10:58

Darn, same problem with new Pale Moon session (banner rendered on new session on this URL as well):
darn didn't work.png
Back to the drawing board :thumbdown:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 15:58

adesh wrote: BTW I don't see the banner in "Firefox compatibility" mode on an older 27.1.1 version. No changes made to UA settings.
UA string reported:

So you do NOT see the compatibility banner using Pale Moon 27.1.1 (pre-27.4) using this URL: https://online.citi.com/US/login.do :?: (I'm using "FF compatibility" and this new banner could have aligned with an update since that release)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 16:56

Would someone using pre-27.4 Pale Moon please test this URL: https://online.citi.com/US/login.do --- to see if they get the compatibility warning banner near the top of the page that says "Your browser is out of date and not supported. We recommend you update your browser for a better online banking experience."? ---- no need to log-in, the warning appears near the top of the log-in page. (Oh and a confirmation that PM 27.4 produces this banner as well would be appreciated ;))

Thanks in advance.... :D

This warning banner may coincide with the time-frame of the current release and I've found that I do not get this warning using a "clean" profile and have not made any changes to my profile that I'm aware of that would impact the website in this manner (so perhaps something that in some way changed the profile post-PM 27.3 in a way that might account for the different rendering of the website as I rarely if ever change prefs other than UA Overrides on occasion). Btw, it's not an extension issue as I still get the banner running Pale Moon in "safe-mode" and I've tried clearing cookies for the website as well.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-07-23, 17:22

Pale Moon does have a built-in UA override for citi.com - It's basically the native UA.
On Win 7:
citi.png

With the built-in override, I can open pages from the urls posted above without getting any 'outdated browser' banners.
This is with PM 27.4, W7 x86, and accepting just first-party session cookies for citi.com

I don't have a citibank account, but did try the links to "Register for Online Access" and to "Open an Account" and got no nags.

Will just add: Having only just read your last post after the above was already written...
No banners using 27.4 and the url https://online.citi.com/US/login.do
Also no banners using 27.03 with that url.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-23, 18:51

Pale Moon Rising wrote:So you do NOT see the compatibility banner using Pale Moon 27.1.1 (pre-27.4) using this URL: https://online.citi.com/US/login.do :?:
No banners here on 27.1.1, same as for coffeebreak
screenshot_2017-07-24_001040.png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 19:13

coffeebreak wrote:.... No banners using 27.4 and the url https://online.citi.com/US/login.do
Also no banners using 27.03 with that url.
Thanks for the feedback and I do not have the problem either using a "clean" profile.

I've gone back to each of my 3 backup profiles that I have dating all the way back to 5/12/17 and the problem persists apparently unique to my case.

Also "safe-mode" does not help so the problem would presumably appear to be specifically related to the PM profile somewhere I guess. I presume profile settings related to extensions when using "safe-mode" have been removed or disabled. I cannot see any pref settings that standout in regards to citibank other than UA overrides that would impact this result.

The problem only exists in Pale Moon AND FIREFOX as all other browsers have no issue with this banner (Opera, Chrome, IE etc.)

I find it curious that FIREFOX also has the same problem (I never use FF other than to test things) and I'm presuming that FF has it's own profile unique to that browser and totally unrelated to PM so I'm finding this an interesting outcome.... :think: :eh:

Oh and as I've mentioned before this banner issue only occurs the first time I log-in during a browser session. All log-ins after that do not have this problem until I exit the browser and log-in the first time on the next browser session (I've tried saving all cookies including "session" cookies but no help).

That bit of curious results above aside (unless it helps to solve my issue based on this fact), is there any way to start with a fresh profile without loosing all of the extensions and all the myriad of extension settings and positioning and having to start over with all of this?

If fixing this involves starting from scratch, reinstalling all extensions and restoring each extensions settings to what I had before it hardly seems worth the effort as I simply do not have the time for all of this for one thing. :thumbdown:

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-23, 19:32

Try "Forget About This Site" for the bank URL.
Warning: Doing this will delete everything in the cache.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 19:50

I had been intending to clear cache (frequently thinking about doing this) but kept getting distracted. Just clearing cache fixed the problem. :clap: I had Pale Moon set to clear cache on exit but just recently (about a week ago) was reading in the forum how this won't help much and it will definitely slow page rendering down for obvious reasons (which I've noticed the many months I was doing this) so I disabled the clear cache on Pale Moon exit not long ago.

I should have tried this first (considering that I had been always clearing cache before disabling this function recently). I do like the faster page rendering with this disabled so I guess I guess the choice is slower page rendering or just keeping in mind to manually clear cache when problems arise and keep the clear cache on exit disabled. There is definitely an advantage to clearing cache on exit (I've avoided these kinds of issues all the time I had this option enabled), but then clearing cache also has it's disadvantages as well in regards to rendering pages.

Thanks again for the help. :thumbup:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 19:53

adesh wrote:Try "Forget About This Site" for the bank URL.
Is this an add-on? I simply cleared cache, all fixed. :thumbup: :clap:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-23, 20:01

Oh and I should add, the default UA Override settings are sufficient. :thumbup: (for me as well)
Off-topic:
All of the profile/safemode testing time spent at least led to one positive thing, I like the simple log-in page I found:
https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do?Promo_ID=SPBL
simple log-in page.png
... a lot of time spent (too much) just for this, oh ya and for me to remember to keep in mind to clear cache now and then and not forget when problems arise to try this FIRST!!! :wave:

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-24, 06:51

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
It is a built-in feature to clear all data related to a particular website:
  1. Go to History
  2. Right-click any history item
  3. Select "Forget About This Site"

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-24, 07:03

adesh wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:
It is a built-in feature to clear all data related to a particular website:
  1. Go to History
  2. Right-click any history item
  3. Select "Forget About This Site"
So no matter what site you select ALL cache will be cleared? (if so seems odd to be clicking a specific site to do this :?).