Youtube no longer works in 27.4.0 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
DaBoogieMan

Youtube no longer works in 27.4.0

Unread post by DaBoogieMan » 2017-07-18, 05:57

it was working this morning with the existing addons I have installed (listed below)

allowed the upgrade from previous version to 27.4.0 and boom no more youtube
all videos fail with the BS lie
- an error has occurred ...

this occasionally occurred in prior versions
but an F5 refresh flood would get rid of the black fuzz "an error has occurred" screen
and the video would start

now nothing works to get it to play:
even the click here for more info is not clickable

win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
6GB RAM (I know weird, HP shipped it that way)
AMD A6-3420M
AMD Radeon HD 6520G (integrated in the A6)
C: 64GB : 22.9GB Free Space

Add-Ons (some carried over through many version upgrades over long time and are not available anymore so can't revert to prior version easily)

- ABL 4.0.1
- Better Privacy 1.68.1 (LSO supercookie nuker)
- FlagFox 5.1.24 (displays Nation Flag of server location)
- FlashBlock 1.5.20 (places play button over flash items)
- NoScript 5.0.6

Plugins
- Flash 24.0.0.6 (auto updater doesn't work, it can be set but nothing ever happens, so I'm slow on the crash player updates)

Privacy settings (nuke all on exit)
- all items checked for deletion / removal in both CPD/CRH dialog, and Clear on exit / close
makes for a clean browser, with zero user data bloat to ever cause slowdown (which all browsers and OS suffer from if allowed to keep history)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Youtube no longer works in 27.4.0

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-07-18, 09:56

YouTube works fine. Disable all plug-ins (including Flash) and try Safe Mode to exclude problematic extensions.

Btw if you mean that you also clear the browser's cache every single time on exit, that won't make it faster - probably slower.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-18, 10:08

DaBoogieMan wrote:many version upgrades over long time
That's your problem right there, I guarantee it!
Here's what you need to do:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11170&p=78365#p78365

--
back2themoon wrote:if you mean that you also clear the browser's cache every single time on exit, that won't make it faster - probably slower.
..but it's still the best way to go about things.
It lets you avoid all sorts of strange and unexplainable issues.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-18, 10:21

Tomaso wrote: back2themoon wrote:
if you mean that you also clear the browser's cache every single time on exit, that won't make it faster - probably slower.

..but it's still the best way to go about things.
It lets you avoid all sorts of strange and unexplainable issues.
No, it isn't the best way to go about things. The best way to go about things is to let the browser use all technology available to it. Persistent disk caching is an essential part of a web browser, and clearing it on shutdown is a big network volume and performance trade-off. The only reason it is an option is for the user's privacy, to remove evidence of what has been visited in the browsing session. If the disk cache was broken, then it would be fixed. However, I see no evidence of it being broken, at all, and I dogfood Pale Moon every day, all day, WITH cache.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-18, 10:29

A few weeks ago, I visited a forum that had just updated to the latest phpBB version.
Everyone was complaining about corrupted text and elements, while everything looked just fine to me.
Turned out that users simply had to empty their browser cache, then everyting was OK.
That's just one example.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-07-18, 10:31

It can help solve problems of course, but is not recommended on a regular basis, let alone on every exit (unless required for privacy). That's all.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-18, 10:40

back2themoon wrote:required for privacy). That's all.
Sure, that's indeed my #1 reason for doing it.
I'm just saying that it can help to solve issues too, since the OP seems to be having some. :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-07-18, 11:10

@DaBoogieMan

I have a 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate hard drive. It renders YouTube videos correctly without any problems using 32 bit windows Pale Moon (27.4.0). But the Flash player I'm using is (26.0.0.137).

The only add-ons I use are NoSquint (2.1.9.1-signed.1-signed) and Adblock Latitude (4.0.1).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

DaBoogieMan

Unread post by DaBoogieMan » 2017-07-18, 14:09

wrote a reply post and got punted out when pressing the preview button

not cool
no I did not use CPD / CRH
I don't type fast
good thing I put it on the clipboard
_____post below_____

Thanks for the replies;

I don't want this to be about keeping history or dumping history at every close or via the CPD / CRH dialog

however, I will say this about history keeping

I've done a similar thing with Group Policies in Win 2k, XP, Vista, and win 7
disable all user file and program use history
never need to do fresh OS installs due to history bloat / slowdown
NTUSER.DAT barely grows on a no history system, compared with the NTUSER.DAT of a system which keeps history
the Oldest XP install I have is single core P-IV 3GHz socket 478 which started life as SP1a in 2003
the history policies were set shortly after deploy,
then went to SP2, then to SP3
it still boots from dead off, in under 1 minute to the desktop and idle

using both PM x86, and x64 since 20.x.x or 21.x.x (don't recall exactly)
on this system first install was x64 25.2.1 (only reason I know that, is I still have the installers)
I installed the add-ons listed in OP
- the add-ons were a tad difficult to get due to having to go backward to older unsigned versions to install, then allow them to update
since the signed add-ons would not install
the problem now is getting previous version add-ons for a start over
as the version history is being nuked
eg.
BP https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
doesn't go back far enough, what is there, all say not available for Firefox 27.2

this is the first time this has been a problem in Youtube

caching is old tech from the days of the 8 - 32Kbps modem on 80x86 - Pentium-I systems
it's not required on modern connections on modern hardware
- keeping visited pages in location bar history doesn't speed up page loads
- keeping cached images etc. of visited pages is negligible on modern connections, even on image heavy pages
- keeping cookies doesn't speed up page loads
- keeping download history doesn't speed up page loads
- keeping site settings doesn't speed up page loads
- keeping active login info doesn't speed up page loads, it's only benefit !which is a huge security risk! is not having to type user name an pw every visit
- if someone steals my system they will never gain access to my online info as there is no browser history to point them to it, even the account user name "HP" is meaningless and can't be tied to IRL info

- as stored history grows, it slows down browser start up time (seen this happen to many systems owned by other people)
privacy and performance are the reasons for the settings I use in both OS and Browser

also have same problem on different system with different config
Dell Latitude E6410
- Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
- Core i7 620M Dual Core HT Enabled
- 4GB RAM (
- NVidia NVS 3100M
- C: 64GB : 33GB Free Space

PM x64 27.4.0
Add-ons
- ABL 4.0.1
- FlagFox 5.1.24
- NoScript 5.0.6

NPAPI Flash not installed

same issue - an error occurred ...

Not dismissing any suggestions
but fresh install would have to be last resort
will work through what I can

I have other systems to test that haven't been upgraded to 27.4.0 yet, as they are not frequently used for browsing
will report back on that as well

note:
the OS has never been upgraded from prior versions, only PM
Service Pack 1 installed after original installation of RTM (the Ultimate and Pro install media I have are RTM)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-18, 16:49

Off-topic:
back2themoon wrote:.... Btw if you mean that you also clear the browser's cache every single time on exit, that won't make it faster - probably slower.
back2themoon wrote:It can help solve problems of course, but is not recommended on a regular basis, let alone on every exit (unless required for privacy). That's all.
I've been clearing cache on exit for many months (not sure what the reason was but it was helping with something in some regard at the time), but since I would prefer a faster experience I'll try stopping this again... and I don't need privacy ;) (I was concerned about causing the browser to render pages slower due to this but at the time I implemented this it was apparently helpful at the time since I left it that way).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-07-18, 17:35

I'd imagine the only kind of privacy this practice provides is the local/offline kind, meaning someone secretly accessing your room and PC and peeking at your browsing activities. Can't see how clearing the cache can provide "online privacy".

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-07-18, 20:01

I have been surfing without tabs since day one until today. and I do not foresee this ever changing. I use a different window for each site. I use the SDC extension which clears the cache (and cookies) for any window when I close that window. I run multiple versions of P M and usually ay least one is set not to remember history. I do these things to protect my privacy and have never seen noticeable bad effects as a result. But I only use a PC, I do not use a mobile device to access the net and I do not have a server. My understanding is these things suffer more from not allowing cached data to remain on a device.

I have no issues with Youtube on 27.4 in either iteration of it. I am on Win 7 Home Premium and run Flash ESR 18.0.0.382 when I allow any flash to run at all. I also run ABL 4.0.1, Better Privacy 1.68.1, plus Self-Destructing Cookies 0.4.12 and Ghostery 5.4.11.

I can say for sure that the version of P M I run which is closest to unmodified out of the box seems to have the fewest issues with sites. It is when I start tweeking things for more privacy and security that some sites may not work right.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-07-18, 20:56

For a different view on privacy and cache, here are a couple of references from uMatrix' Privacy settings:
"Preventing Web Tracking via the Browser Cache"
"Cookieless cookies"

And fwiw, I clear cache regularly and YouTube works fine for me on PM 27.4.

Personal opinion: Whatever the privacy/performance arguments here may be, they may have little to do with fixing OP's YouTube issues. It's a side-discussion.

So maybe consider changing focus to this advice:
back2themoon wrote:YouTube works fine. Disable all plug-ins (including Flash) and try Safe Mode to exclude problematic extensions.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-07-19, 02:27

Moonchild wrote:However, I see no evidence of [the cache] being broken, at all, and I dogfood Pale Moon every day, all day, WITH cache.
What does “dogfood” mean in this context? :?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-19, 03:16

gracious1 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:However, I see no evidence of [the cache] being broken, at all, and I dogfood Pale Moon every day, all day, WITH cache.
The Pale Moon wolf is sort of domesticated so it eats dogfood... ;) .... cache dogfood that is.... :lol:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-07-19, 13:22

gracious1 wrote:

Eating your own dogfood (Wikipedia)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-19, 16:33

Getting back on-topic...

So, if I understand correctly, you have a whole bunch of things switched off, including cache, cookies, and more.
Youtube's scripting is tied into many of these things, and the "an error has occurred" and requiring a refresh has been a known thing Youtube does if too many things are blocked or not responded to fast enough by the browser.

Why is this suddenly a problem in 27.4.0? Most likely because more advanced parts of MSE are now in use. MSE, by design, is fully scripted; so it will likely rely on even more of these technologies that you have blocked.

For the record:
  • keeping visited pages in location bar history doesn't slow down page loads
  • keeping cached images etc. of visited pages is not negligible on modern connections. Pure throughput may be high, but requesting and receiving data for many elements from the web will be a noticeable delay.
  • keeping cookies doesn't slow down page loads, and prevents sites from breaking. (I'm assuming you are not just "not keeping" them, but "not accepting" them in the first place -- that's a big difference.
  • keeping download history doesn't slow down page loads
  • keeping site settings doesn't slow down page loads
  • keeping active login info doesn't slow down page loads, not having to type user name an pw every visit is not its only benefit, either.
I think what you should do is see if creating a new profile fixes things. You can make one alongside your current one by using the profile manager, so you don't have to throw anything away. Considering you're set to not save much of anything in your session anyway, starting with a clean slate will hardly be much of a difference.
I'm pretty sure that if you use default settings, YouTube will work just fine and dandy.
Off-topic:
Then, a bit of advice....
If you are worried that your PC is at risk of being stolen and you want to safeguard your data, instead of making things inconvenient for yourself by trying to limit exposure on an application by application basis, you should make sure you enable your OS's file system encryption. You can do this on a folder-by-folder basis (folder properties -> general -> attributs -> button advanced -> "use encryption"), or even using EFS if you really want advanced encryption for the entire drive.
That way, your data and documents, including your browser profile, will not be recoverable by anyone without knowing your OS account password.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Advid

Unread post by Advid » 2017-07-26, 09:14

Hi

Fresh OS installation (Linux Mageia 6, x86-64).

Latest Pale Moon installation (27.4.0, with the installer script):

No video playing on any site. Youtube used to work on previous OS and previous Pale Moon version (but video from many other sites didn't).

Firefox, shipped with this OS distribution: plays Youtube video (and many others).

I'm still in early stages of investigation, I'll be back here in case there's some solution, or to post mine if I figure out the problem (but I highly doubted I will since I struggled with previous version and video playback problem without any success).

Thanks anyway for the effort and bringing this new Pale Moon release.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-07-26, 14:38

Does Mageia install FFmpeg packages by default? If not, please try installing them.

Advid

Unread post by Advid » 2017-07-27, 18:06

trava90 wrote:Does Mageia install FFmpeg packages by default? If not, please try installing them.
Yes by default I do have ffmpeg 3.3.2 installed.