Pale Moon Doesn't Pass Referrer - v 25.8.1

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ePono50
Moongazer
Moongazer

Pale Moon Doesn't Pass Referrer - v 25.8.1

Unread post by ePono50 » 2017-07-14, 00:04

Hello! Forum:)
New to the forum but have been using this Fantastic browser for a long time now. In fact, it's been so good this is the 1st time here!
Hoping someone can shed some light on a very strange problem.

Just today I've discovered that PM is no longer passing any referrer (referer to those who prefer it misspelled) ;)
I've changed & added nothing* so I cannot understand this new crazy behaviour. PM MAY have updated itself (will confirm later).
Present version is 25.8.1 -- System is W7 Pro 32bit (home built and extremely solid).
* That has anything to do with the Internet (esp. browsers).

WHAT I'VE TRIED TO SOLVE IT:
First disabled various extensions like 'RefControl', Ublock Origin, NoScript and more. Restarted PM but same problem.
Rebooted system and it then passed referrer .... ONCE. :roll:

After another PM restart & reboot, still same problem. Created new profile and it still refuses to pass referrer with the bare profile!

What gives? It passed only that one time?!
I suspect PM updated (I will confirm when I restore last Image - but that will be a hassle as I wasn't able to keep up with latest changes.
Hoping there's an idea from someone here. Can't use a browser without being able to control referrer, but this just happened.
It even happens with default HOSTS file (I'm even trying stuff that shouldn't be connected to this problem).

Thank you in advance for any help on this!
Last edited by ePono50 on 2017-07-14, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

ePono50
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: Pale Moon Doesn't Pass Referrer - v 25.8.1

Unread post by ePono50 » 2017-07-14, 01:45

WOW! Surely I've entered the Twilight Zone here.
For some reason, the [referrer] behavior has changed.
It's entirely different than what was happening a day ago and entirely different than what happens with Chromium.

I've been in IT for going on 30 years and I never get over how baffling some of this stuff can be.
It MAY be intermittent, and it MAY be something else. Two thing's for sure, it's now happening on 3 different W7 systems w/PM,
and all these systems are clean. The XP systems haven't changed at all.

This is going to take more time to fully diagnose and properly regressive test. :problem:

Nevertheless, how on earth can PM be masking or not passing referrer from a squeaky clean profile?!
Could it be something 'residual' from the other profile and it's add-ons, plugins etc.? I've never seen that before.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-07-14, 01:53

ePono50 wrote:Present version is 25.8.1
Any particular reason why you are not using the latest release, which is 27.4.0 ... ?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-14, 09:53

Please:
  • Update to the current release version of Pale Moon. We can't support v25.8.1 any longer; it's too old.
  • Check that all preferences in about:config dealing with referrer headers have default values. (network.http.referer.* and network.http.sendRefererHeader, network.http.sendSecureXSiteReferrer, etc.)
  • Check if restarting Pale Moon in safe mode solves the issue for you (if so, it's caused by one of your extensions).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ePono50
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: Pale Moon Doesn't Pass Referrer - SOLVED sort of

Unread post by ePono50 » 2017-07-14, 18:02

Thank you very much for all responses!
Unable to update at this time (systems are mission critical and I need to prepare them first).
-------------------------------
Moonchild - That was first thing I checked. However, I've solved this (or provided a workaround with RefControl).
Further diagnosing confirmed PM is passing the referrers - Problem is related to Amazon's login page(s) which we've dealt with numerous times before.
Amazon has been flaky with it's login page(s) - in fact I personally was responsible for them correcting one that was flawed awhile back.
Can't believe they actually listened. But they changed the code and all was well. Until yesterday...they obviously changed something again
and I don't have the time to mess with what. Whenever this happens we suspect their esteemed 'webmorons' at work. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm preparing new workstations and I will be installing latest? or at least a later version with those. If you still support W7 that is.
I noted that XP was [understandably] dropped. I use last 25.x version in XP systems with no problems at all.

I sincerely apologize for taking up space with this nonsense and thank you again for your responses. :oops:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-14, 18:53

ePono50 wrote: I will be installing latest? or at least a later version with those. If you still support W7 that is.
Of course we support Windows 7. We even still support the few % of Vista users out there (albeit limited)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ePono50
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ePono50 » 2017-07-18, 17:42

Nigaikaze wrote:
ePono50 wrote:Present version is 25.8.1
Any particular reason why you are not using the latest release, which is 27.4.0 ... ?
When I'm able to do the update, can we simply install over existing
or do I uninstall existing [older version] first?

Not sure if the versions are too far apart to install over existing?

Thank you!

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-07-18, 18:05

yes, you can simply install the new version over the previous one. do note that, as Moonchild stated, <27.x profiles will undergo an irreversible conversion when updating to 27.x and thus will no longer have backward compatibility with previous Pale Moon versions

Vultural
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Vultural » 2017-07-25, 22:38

Moonchild wrote: . . . We even still support the few % of Vista users out there (albeit limited)
Good to hear. I still prefer Vista, though my second lap is Linux Ubuntu.
I just recommended PaleMoon over at another forum after reading fellow Vista users complain about Chrome support (lack of).