Deviantart Notifications Broke (solved) Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
11ryanc

Deviantart Notifications Broke (solved)

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2017-07-13, 16:26

27.4.0 (x64), Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
I'm uncertain as to whether or not this is also an issue specific to 27.4 as it's been a while since I've checked my DA. However as of now I am unable to access the notifications page. The page loads, the site header and all other elements appear just fine. But the section below in which notifications are displayed is simply left blank.
Screenshot attached below:
Off-topic:
Funnily enough, it did load properly once or twice out of random :crazy:
Attachments
da.png
Last edited by 11ryanc on 2017-07-13, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Deviantart Notifications Broke

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-13, 16:56

It's not specific to 27.4. See other posts already made on the subject.
Unfortunately there's also no way forward with this at the moment. Refreshing the page has a good chance of fixing it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

11ryanc

Re: Deviantart Notifications Broke

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2017-07-13, 17:03

Moonchild wrote:It's not specific to 27.4. See other posts already made on the subject.
Unfortunately there's also no way forward with this at the moment. Refreshing the page has a good chance of fixing it.
Ouch. Well appreciate the clarification. Thread marked /solved.

GMforker

Re: Deviantart Notifications Broke (solved)

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-07-13, 19:31

Try the new version (unstable, 27.5.0a1). It looks like it's better.

11ryanc

Re: Deviantart Notifications Broke x64 (open)

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2017-10-01, 14:45

I hate to bump an old thread, but this appears to be an issue exclusive to the x64 builds. I've created a clean browser profile to ensure there was no corruption.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-01, 18:17

It's not exclusive to the x64 builds, but it's something that is timing-sensitive in dA's scripting. If the browser processes spawn requests faster than they are resolved on the website, it runs out of stack space and the page load aborts with too much recursion happening in JavaScript. Because it's timing-sensitive, it may behave differently in 32-bit and 64-bit. I've seen the same issue in 32-bit, myself.

Ultimately, it's a problem somewhere in dA's scripting that causes recursive calls to be used to sort and display the notifications, but since they "don't support Pale Moon" they don't see a reason to look into this scripting problem.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-10-10, 12:28

On somewhat offtopic note, does anyone have any suggestion for similar website I could use for photography purposes? dA doesn't care, fine, so I don't care about them. But I need a replacement.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2017-10-11, 02:37

Octopuss wrote:On somewhat offtopic note, does anyone have any suggestion for similar website I could use for photography purposes? dA doesn't care, fine, so I don't care about them. But I need a replacement.
Deviantart is first in it's class when it comes to Windows theming, so it's irreplaceable to me. I have vanilla Chromium installed here as a fallback browser for accessing stubborn sites and playing back DRM protected content (Amazon).
http://chromium.woolyss.com/ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... le-chrome/
The treatment of smaller browser projects by some webmasters/companies is just disgusting.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-10-17, 12:24

11ryanc wrote:
Octopuss wrote:On somewhat offtopic note, does anyone have any suggestion for similar website I could use for photography purposes? dA doesn't care, fine, so I don't care about them. But I need a replacement.
Deviantart is first in it's class when it comes to Windows theming, so it's irreplaceable to me. I have vanilla Chromium installed here as a fallback browser for accessing stubborn sites and playing back DRM protected content (Amazon).
http://chromium.woolyss.com/ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... le-chrome/
The treatment of smaller browser projects by some webmasters/companies is just disgusting.
Did you even read my post? What the hell are you talking about?

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2017-10-17, 23:45

Octopuss wrote:
11ryanc wrote:
Did you even read my post? What the hell are you talking about?
I did in fact read your post. I was just elaborating on how I could never replace Deviantart due to the content I acquire from it, but I suppose that was a little random.
Off-topic:
I was quite punctual, so I really don't see what your issue is? :crazy: