password managers

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Mando

password managers

Unread post by Mando » 2017-07-12, 15:47

I use private browsing in thoughts that it keeps me more secure. I was wondering if there was any good safe addons to hold my important passwords.

11ryanc

Re: password managers

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2017-07-13, 16:10

I use LastPass. Bear in mind however, they don't officially support Pale Moon. I had to resort to an older buils (v. 3.1.1.1) from the Mozilla AMO.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-07-13, 16:50

I'd totally advise against using an abandoned extension (older version of LastPass) to store passwords. Just common sense. Use a password manager that supports Pale Moon, either directly or indirectly (=their latest version working fine with PM).

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2017-07-13, 17:06

back2themoon wrote:I'd totally advise against using an abandoned extension (older version of LastPass) to store passwords. Just common sense. Use a password manager that supports Pale Moon, either directly or indirectly (=their latest version working fine with PM).
Yeah it's not the greatest security practice. I was trying it for test' sake. Didn't notice until now the publishing date was in 2014.
Really is a shame though being as LastPass does so well across platforms.
Edit. after a bit more testing, 3.3.4 is the latest build functional in PM. It's fairly recent, but it's not getting any newer either. KeePass is a decent offline choice.

Mando

Unread post by Mando » 2017-07-13, 18:45

so last pass or keep pass?

Where are the passwords stored

How is the palemoon manager?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-07-13, 19:04

KeePass is safest.
Pale Moon save your passwords fine, but without set a master password the passwords can read like in firefox. Pale Moon isnt a password manager tool

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2017-07-13, 20:22

KeePass is by far the safest bet because it's stored locally and can only be accessed via masterkey. Not quite as convenient though.

Mando

Unread post by Mando » 2017-07-14, 14:03

so really the safest website password holder would be keeppass? Wich one in the addons I see a bunch of addons that work with keep pass (wich one would I get)

Thanks and sorry for all this silly questions

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-07-14, 18:03

Mando, there are several threads about password managers in the forum if you look around. I always recommend to take a look at Sticky Password, even though it only supports Pale Moon x86 for now.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2017-07-14, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-07-14, 18:06

Mando wrote:I use private browsing in thoughts that it keeps me more secure. I was wondering if there was any good safe addons to hold my important passwords.
You can try Enpass https://www.enpass.io/

They store your PW's locally with 256-bit AES encryption and an optional cloud sync if you want.

They don't support PM but they are still up to date, you will have to use the addon https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-tester-tool/

But other than that it is a very good PW manager that is new and improving, it is user friendly and is most like Lasspass.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-07-14, 19:14

troypulk wrote:
Mando wrote:You can try Enpass https://www.enpass.io/
Well. I open the site and first i see is noting because of forbidden JavaScript. KeePass site works fine without JavaScript.
Then i read in site description "Best password manager for iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Mac" but why then include google-analytics & doubleclick? Not very trustworthy. See https://webbkoll.dataskydd.net/en/resul ... pass.io%2F
Also Enpass isnt OpenSource and hosted on US servers. Did i need say more?

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-07-14, 19:38

dark_moon wrote:Also Enpass isnt OpenSource and hosted on US servers. Did i need say more?

They don't have any servers, every thing is on your computer, it installs just like a program.

Just because they are not open source does not mean they are bad.

Plus, the google-analytics & doubleclick and JavaScript is their web site not their PW manager, the PW manager is a stand alone program just like your PC calculator on your desktop. Once it's installed it DOES NOT "phone home"

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-07-14, 20:39

Sure but this doesnt make the whole project nice.
The project website is the first place to show the own project and in this case (in my opinion) that password manager fails

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-07-15, 00:45

Don't judge a book my it's cover.

treloar1000

Unread post by treloar1000 » 2017-07-15, 08:57

Is there any way to manually edit the login stored in Pale Moon :?:

On some website the autocomplete for the username field shows me some options I've used previously, but not what I've used on that website before. Also the password is not remembered, it'd be helpful if I could manually add.

Do not really want to install someone else's software that may or may not send information about my habits back to them...

Mando

Unread post by Mando » 2017-07-16, 17:17

ive decided to just stick with pale moon i think its nice an safe thanks guys

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-07-17, 13:09

There is an extension on Mozilla that allows to edit passwords. The current version isn't said to be compatible with Pale Moon, but a previous one is. It is Saved Password Editor. I haven't tried if more recent versions work anyways or if they would work with the Compatibility tester.

As it is not an extension that I use regularly, I can't tell you whether this "old" version works reliably with all passwords. And in cases where "the password is not remembered", I wonder if modifying an existing password will work of if the website has been designed to go around stored passwords.

Finally, as far as I know, it only works in the local database. It doesn't phone home, to Google or to any other strange place...
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Mando

Unread post by Mando » 2017-07-20, 16:06

it would be nice to have a encrypted addon/plug in for bookmark and passwords. I have alot of places i need to frequent to daily (over 15 windows)

*Annoying to have to copy paste from my txt documents always

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2018-07-05, 11:05

Have you noticed this?
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/password-backup-tool/

has anyone noticed their saved 'logins.json' file does not seem to work when upgrading up to V27.9.3 ??

I have redone afresh with palemoon addons, giving a speed increase - did something change for logins??

I found the above solution though.. :)
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P