Has anyone been able to interact with the Washington Post comments section using Pale Moon? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rm118899

Has anyone been able to interact with the Washington Post comments section using Pale Moon?

Unread post by rm118899 » 2017-07-11, 08:21

https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/lo ... group/long

When I try to log in it gives the message:

"Sorry, it's taking longer than expected to pull up your account. If after a minute you still aren't redirected, please make sure your browser has cookies enabled and try again. If the problem persists, please Contact Us." (I did send them a message, but haven't heard back.)

I have disabled ad and popup blockers, and cookies and Javascript are enabled.

I assume my account was created successfully because I have a very random email address and it gives the message "username already exists" if I try to recreate the account.

Previously I tried to log in with the Facebook button, which also does not work, even though I have an FB account. A popup flashes on the screen briefly, but nothing happens... It is very frustrating.

(A side note: on 3rd party sites that use Facebook comments (not Washington Post, I think, but other sites), there are a lot of weird issues like not being able to move the cursor and weird things happening when you do Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. I wish I could disable all these malfunctioning Javascript hooks that the FB developers made and use it like a normal textbox.)

ehrbar

Re: Has anyone been able to interact with the Washington Post comments section using Pale Moon?

Unread post by ehrbar » 2017-07-14, 08:55

I have been able to in the past with 27.3, and I just was able to again with 27.4.

rm118899

Re: Has anyone been able to interact with the Washington Post comments section using Pale Moon?

Unread post by rm118899 » 2017-08-02, 06:34

wapo.png
Dang, you are lucky ... I can never get past the "LOADING' step.

rm118899

Unread post by rm118899 » 2017-10-06, 02:09

Great Scott! It took literally months to troubleshoot, but with the help of Permissions Manager, I have determined the cause was that, although cookies in general were enabled, cookies were specifically blocked for subscribe.washingtonpost.com. When I clicked on buttons nothing would happen, so I thought it was a problem with Javascript events not firing or interference from an add-on, but it ended up being site-specific cookie blocking via the built-in cookie management. Now if only I can figure out why I sometimes get a never-ending, perpetually-loading spinner icon on banking sites like Chase and Citi ...

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-06, 03:40

rm118899 wrote:.... Now if only I can figure out why I sometimes get a never-ending, perpetually-loading spinner icon on banking sites like Chase and Citi ...
I use both Chase and Citi without any issues with Pale Moon 27.5 on Windows 7.

It appears that something must be blocking the site apparently since I have no issues of any kind with either of the bank sites, so you are unable to log-in or at what point do the websites get hung up? (it sounds like the page will not even load the way you are describing what you get). Also you said "sometimes" you have this problem --- so is this a random event and that sometimes there are no problems with these sites?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-06, 03:58

^ Followup: Looking at any UA Overrides I have added or change I found four for Citi....
I have no idea if I still need these (modified or added by me) settings for Citi but here is what I currently have FWIW:
general.useragent.override.citi.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.2) Goanna/20170101 Palemoon/27.4.0
general.useragent.override.online.citi.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.2) Goanna/20170101 Palemoon/27.4.0
I also have these two, I know the last one was needed because of XSS or ABE protection in NoScript and perhaps the first one as well (can't recall):
general.useragent.override.city-data.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
general.useragent.override.steps.citi.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.2) Goanna/20170101 Palemoon/27.4.0

I have no idea if any of these UA Overrides would impact your situation (possibly some are not required if you do not use specific security options in NoScript).
And keep in mind the above has either been added or changed by me at some point for various reasons, so there may be a default UA Override that Pale Moon provides.

I do not have any UA Overrides that I've changed or added for Chase at all.
But there is a default Pale Moon UA Override for Chase that is the following:
general.useragent.override.chase.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9
If you somehow doe not have the above default then most likely adding the above would be helpful since it is after a default Pale Moon setting.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-06, 04:46

Work for me (login with Facebook account)
https://imgur.com/a/ZyHoC
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

beep54

Unread post by beep54 » 2018-01-31, 00:43

This seems to be a major shift on WP's method of doing comments. They made it very difficult. Perhaps it works if you actually subscribe. Still, some of the comment are in the old style and still usable. For the time being.