Problems with a website since I use Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
moloch981
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Problems with a website since I use Pale Moon

Unread post by moloch981 » 2017-06-29, 19:46

Hello,

I would like some help. I switched to Pale Moon a couple of months ago because Firefox was becoming useless for me. So far I am very satisfied and with various add-ons, tweaks and the help of users from this forum now Pale Moon is almost perfect for me. I have just one small problem: there is a site I used a lot, that is http://picresize.com/ (lets you crop/resize/edit pictures online), it worked perfectly on Firefox but it stopped since I use Pale Moon. I can load the picture, it seems to be working (though, contrary to what happened in Firefox, you can't see a preview of the modified pictures), but when I try to save the image it goes back to the homepage with this error message: "Sorry, please upload a valid image".

I guess the browser is the problem, because if I use Firefox everything is fine. Can you explain to me why this site has problems with Pale Moon and if there's something I can do to fix this? It's not a big deal because I found another site that works in Pale Moon (http://imageresize.org/Default.aspx ), but I would be happier to use Picresize because I still think it's better.

Thank you

edited for typos

JustOff

Re: Problems with a website since I use Pale Moon

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-06-29, 20:00

I've no problem with both preview and save on picresize.com in Pale Moon 27.3.0, perhaps you have conflicting add-on(s) or settings?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-06-29, 21:00

The site works for me too and I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon (27.3.0).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-06-29, 22:06

Site appears to work for me as well using 32-bit Pale Moon (27.3.0), no problem saving edited file.

Try testing the site using Pale Moon in safe-mode ("Help" > "Restart with Add-ons Disabled...", select "safe-mode", mode will be exited when the browser is exited). If the site works in "safe-mode" then something external to Pale Moon is presumably interfering with the site.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

moloch981
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by moloch981 » 2017-06-30, 19:07

Thanks for answering.

I have tried disabling all my extensions one by one but the site didn't work. So I've tried restarting the browser in Safe Mode but it didn't work either... :wtf: I don't know what to do.
To be clear, I can load a picture, it seems that I can crop it (the dimensions below the preview update, even though the changes are not immediately shown as they were in Firefox), but when I click "I'm done, resize the picture", I get the error message.

I'm using 32-bit Pale Moon 27.3.0 on Windows 7.

P.S. I have just contacted the site support, let's see if they can help.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-06-30, 20:48

moloch981 wrote:....I don't know what to do.
Have you tried with a completely new profile?
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

moloch981
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by moloch981 » 2017-06-30, 21:35

JoeyG wrote:
moloch981 wrote:....I don't know what to do.
Have you tried with a completely new profile?
What's a profile? Honestly I wouldn't want to reset all my Pale Moon preferences completely, I don't know if I can remember all the settings I have.
If it's something that's easy to revert, I can try.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-07-01, 01:22

moloch981 wrote:What's a profile? Honestly I wouldn't want to reset all my Pale Moon preferences completely, I don't know if I can remember all the settings I have.
If it's something that's easy to revert, I can try.
It's very easy and - assuming you do it right - 100% safe. If I may say so, it's one of the really beautiful things that Netscape/Firefox came up with that Pale Moon has taken over.

Before I explain how to start with a brand-new one, though, and because you asked, you need to understand that your "profile" is where ALL the modifications (site settings, add-ons, bookmarks, plugins, whatever you've done to personalize your browser) are stored. The very first time you ran Pale Moon, the browser generated a brand-new profile, and every change you've made is stored in it somewhere. Actually, it's nice to know what the individual files and folders in the profile do (though I must confess I'm not familiar with all of them), but for what I'm recommending you do, this isn't at all necessary.

My last little "word of wisdom" here is that I strongly recommend that you make a copy of your profile on a usb stick or somewhere off your computer any time you change something in Pale Moon, e.g. add a new bookmark, whatever.

Anyway, your profile is all in one folder on your computer (mine is about 30mb), and you can simply copy and paste it like any other folder in Windows. Oh - I'm assuming here that you're using the installer or the zip version of Pale Moon and not the portable version. (Actually, if you're using the portable version, all this is a bit easier, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)

In another posting "mgangnonlv" posted these excellent instructions on how to find your profile:
mgagnonlv wrote: Two ways to find it.
1. The direct approach
Open a Windows Explorer window and make sure "display hidden files" is checked.
Search through your user profile, typically at C:\Users\your_user_name
The profile is at : C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\random_letters.default
2. The "PaleMoon Help Me" approach
In Pale Moon, click on Alt to see full menus, then go to Help –> Troubleshooting Information (the 2nd item in the menu)
Then, a few lines from the top, you'll see a button called "Open Profile Folder".
On my Windows 7 machine the path looks like this:
C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\z94f3nou.default
"Joe" is my UserName on my Windows setup.

I'd add another way: If you know how to use the Windows search tool (or have a good substitute such as "Agent Ransack", which is really great), do a search and find your User/Roaming folder. Your Pale Moon profile is in there.

Anyway, the folder you want to work with is the one called "Moonchild Productions".

Once you've found it, before you do anything else, make a copy of it. As I've said, it's best to keep your copy off your computer (usb stick, network drive, whatever), but if that's too much work, you can save it in any "safe" place on your machine.

By the way, before you copy your profile folder, you have to close Pale Moon completely (not just "reduce it to the taskbar" or whatever).

Now that you've closed Pale Moon and you've got a copy of your profile safe and sound, just go back to your original Moonchild Productions folder (with Pale Moon still closed!!!) and rename Moonchild Productions as Moonchild Productionsx (or whatever; just adding the "x" make things relatively easy when you want "reactivate" your profile).

Now, with your profile folder renamed, open Pale Moon. It might take a bit longer than usual because the program is generating a brand-new profile. Don't get scared when you see what happens: Pale Moon will look the way it did the very first time you opened it.

At this point, with your brand-new profile, you can try the site you want. If it works, which I'm guessing it will because others have said it does, you know 100% for sure that the problem is somewhere in your profile. (Fixing it is another story; but let's take it one step at a time.) If the site doesn't work, well, talk to Moonchild about what he recommends.

When you're finished with your testing, close Pale Moon and go back to your Roaming folder where your profile is. You'll see a file named Moonchild Productions, which is the one Pale Moon has just generated. Unless you're really short of memory on your computer, I'd recommend renaming it Pale Moon-NEW, or something like this, so you'll know what it is.

And now you can remove the "x" (or whatever) from your renamed original Moonchild Productions folder so that it's Moonchild Productions again.

Now re-open Pale Moon and, unless you've done something wrong, you'll be back where you started: Your Pale Moon will be just like it was, and the site in question almost definitely won't work again.

Really, if you follow my instructions, you should be 100% OK. Of course you can wait till someone else comments on what I've written - which may not be a bad idea. I mean, I've re-read this a couple of times, but it's always possible that I've missed something somewhere. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS. I've spent about an hour on this posting because I hope it will help you and anyone else who might have a question about the profile (which I'm guessing has probably been dealt with elsewhere on this forum. Actually, if I had been smart, I'd have searched the forum before spending so much time on this :crazy: .)

OK, it's bedtime for me. Bye for now.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

moloch981
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by moloch981 » 2017-07-01, 21:30

Hello, thank you very much for explaining in detail about profiles.

I did as you suggested and everything worked well (I have restored the old profile without problems and also have a copy stored in a USB drive).
As for the site Picresize, I'm still confused because (testing with the new profile) while the changes were immediately shown in the preview (one of the things that didn't work before, so good), when I tried to save one sample image I got the same error... another edited sample image was saved without problems.

No clue why this site works for all of you and not for me: let's see if the site owners reply.

Thanks again, anyway

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-02, 07:57

A very easy way to create an alternate (temporary) profile is to use the Profile Manager (and of course keep your original default profile to use again).

In case you are not familiar with creating an alternate fresh Profile using the Pale Moon Profile Manager.

First EXIT Pale Moon!

To open the Pale Moon Profile Manager type "palemoon -p" in your Windows start-menu:
Windows Start Menu for PM PM.png
Windows Start Menu for PM PM.png (47.09 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
which will start the Profile Manager interface:
Profile Manager interface.png
Profile Manager interface.png (21.42 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Here you can easily create a new (alternate) Pale Moon profile, without loosing any data. Just press the "Create Profile" button and start it (which can be saved if you like for future testing). What I would recommend is to uncheck the "Don't ask at startup" FOR NOW (so that when you're done testing your newly created fresh Profile you will get the prompt when you start Pale Moon again and you can then select your "Default" Profile (at which time you would uncheck "Don't ask at startup" before clicking "Start Pale Moon" so you would then not get this prompt (which you would not want to see) for the "Default" Profile that you have returned to.

It's that simple!! ;)

(you can always return to the "clean" alternative profile by doing what is illustrated in the first screen-shot to start the Profile Manager again and selecting the alternate "clean" profile you had created/named and saved)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

moloch981
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by moloch981 » 2018-01-19, 10:27

I'm coming back to this old topic because there's a development. I kept having problems with the PicResize site, so in the meantime I had found an alternative. Today, I was making another half-hearted attempt and doing a Google search I found that someone had fixed the same problem clearing all cookies. I tried and PicResize worked fine. I am wondering if I'll have to do it every time I want to use PicResize (didn't have to in Firefox), but I'm happy that it's finally working.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-19, 12:03

I dont think creating a new profile is a viable solution to just one website.no doubt further along the road another website will spit the dummy out and play mischief...
what then...?
create another profile...?....lol no,not a long term solution in any form.
But glad it seems to be working for now.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1