LINK "Prevent Ransomware Attacks - Free Guide - Download Now" blocked by uBlock Origin

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

LINK "Prevent Ransomware Attacks - Free Guide - Download Now" blocked by uBlock Origin

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-24, 13:15

At the bottom of the Technical Details page, the link to the abovementioned document it treated under Strict Blocking by uBlock Origin. How can one safely and easily download this document (if it remains available)?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: LINK "Prevent Ransomware Attacks - Free Guide - Download Now" blocked by uBlock Origin

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-24, 14:22

Is this an ad? If it's blocked by uBO, I don't think you should download it.

[One way to prevent attacks is to stop clicking on things. ;) ]

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: LINK "Prevent Ransomware Attacks - Free Guide - Download Now" blocked by uBlock Origin

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-24, 18:23

I agree! Believe me, if it weren't at the bottom of a PM web page, I would never have touched it. But since it is there, right now, I thought I'd look into it.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-24, 20:39

That isn't really any guarantee. Moonchild doesn't control what ads come through (I think).

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-24, 21:05

helloimustbegoing wrote:That isn't really any guarantee. Moonchild doesn't control what ads come through (I think).
You could well be correct, thank you for pointing that out. Either way, I thought someone should know, since it's on a PM page. I'm ready to let it go.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-24, 21:05

Ads presented on our properties should all be safe to click/visit. Whether you should believe everything the site you are directed to states is, of course, another thing :D
(Since it's an ad, "Strict blocking" whatever that means might complain...)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-24, 22:18

I opened it in IE. It's "Top 10 Best Free Malware Removal 2017". I copied the link from IE and it opened fine in PM. I have no idea why uBlock O is doing this. In any event, the underlying content seems fine, as you say, Moonchild. Thanks for making time to lend a hand.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2017-06-24, 23:00

Because it is an add from doubleclick.com..

I clicked on it twice.
The first time, the site which I was redirected forced me to install an addon and after the download, Pale Moon said it was corrupted ( not exactly that safe to click/visit).
The second one doubleclick served me a site offering a job in my country, asking my mail..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-24, 23:08

Disclaimer: We cannot be held responsible for content on third-party websites that you may visit from ads, that are not under our control, or the actions you take on such third-party sites.

The download and installation of an extension is under your scrutiny and control. If you choose to install it, that's your responsibility. If it's a known malware extension, it'll get blocked by our extension blocklist. If it's a webextension, it won't install, period. If it's got an invalid signature or is a signed extension that has been tampered with, it will also not install.

Entering your e-mail address on third-party sites is likewise your choice and your responsibility (and risk of spam if you enter it). If you're not sure, check your address bar and identity panel to see if it's a known and/or trusted site.

SuperA: nothing bad happened by you visiting the sites. If you believe that there is an issue with a specific advertised site then you can often report it to the ad network yourself (e.g. with a control on the ad).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-06-25, 08:32

I don't see any ad, perhaps in my case uBlock is entirely blocking the ad....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising