How to import passwords from Opera to PM? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues (Windows and other non-Linux O.S.). Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions for Linux, Android and Mac to the dedicated boards.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Import passwords from FF58+

Unread postby JustOff » Mon, 17 Dec 2018, 17:59

Due to repeated requests, I finally implemented the basic support for importing passwords from Firefox 58+ (key4.db). To do this, you need to navigate to the desired profile and select the logins.json file in the import dialog. Master password protected data is not supported yet, you must first disable it in the source browser.

At the moment, this feature should be considered as experimental, so do not forget to backup your workplace.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Password Backup Tool

Unread postby JustOff » Thu, 27 Dec 2018, 13:16

Password Backup Tool has been updated to 1.2.1:

• Add support for importing passwords from Firefox 58+ profiles (raw and password protected)

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Import PM passwords into a clean PM install ?

Unread postby bawldiggle » Sat, 05 Jan 2019, 00:06

PM has been very unstable over several months, with a new profile there has been a marginal improvement but not brilliant.
A clean install is my next step.

:?: If I copy the old profile to a safe folder (with PM closed of course !) ... can I direct Password Backup Tool to the "safe" folder ?
- I have about 4 or more years of passwords and the thought of losing them is too much to "bear"

Thank you :)

Palemoon : v28.2.2 (32-bit)
Win-7 PRO x64
The only thing that keeps this Pale Moon Project afloat is $$$$$$ ... spelt "m-o-n-e-y" everything else is just talk
Donate to the Pale Moon project here

doofy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Import PM passwords into a clean PM install ?

Unread postby doofy » Sat, 05 Jan 2019, 00:16

bawldiggle wrote:If I copy the old profile to a safe folder (with PM closed of course !) ... can I direct Password Backup Tool to the "safe" folder ?
- I have about 4 or more years of passwords and the thought of losing them is too much to "bear"

I use Password Exporter 1.3.4, and what I would do is export passwords before backing up my profile.

Can you not do that with PBT?

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: How to import passwords from Opera to PM?

Unread postby bawldiggle » Sat, 05 Jan 2019, 01:39

@doofy :)

I have not got that far yet. Still planning how to save (recycle) Passwords Metadata, Cookies and cookie-Exclusions.
Thanks for the tip to Password Exporter 1.3.4 ... I will have a look at it.
The only thing that keeps this Pale Moon Project afloat is $$$$$$ ... spelt "m-o-n-e-y" everything else is just talk
Donate to the Pale Moon project here

JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Re: How to import passwords from Opera to PM?

Unread postby JustOff » Sat, 05 Jan 2019, 12:32

bawldiggle wrote:Thanks for the tip to Password Exporter 1.3.4 ... I will have a look at it.

I do not recommend you to use Password Exporter, as it contains bugs that are fixed in Password Backup Tool. You can export your passwords from the old profile using PBT and then import them into a new one, or simply exit the browser and copy logins.json and key3.db from the old to the new profile.

Return to “General support”