video driver crashing

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
TMINY

video driver crashing

Unread post by TMINY » 2017-05-23, 17:26

Win Vista 32
Nvidia graphics
PM 32-bit 27.2.1

I've noticed with v27 a lot of video driver crashes requiring a browser restart. This has been happening at least once a day this past week -- usually on js-heavy sites, and occasionally on video playback sites such as YouTube. It only began after upgrading to v27.

I've had several hard lockups. Sometimes the video driver will just crash and reload. Other times I have to do a cold boot of the machine. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't respond. No mouse movement.

Number of tabs does not seem to matter. I've had it lock up with one tab of a js-heavy site.

Does v27 interact with the graphics card differently than v26?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: video driver crashing

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-23, 18:38

TMINY wrote:Does v27 interact with the graphics card differently than v26?
Absolutely.

v27 uses DirectX 11 technology. v26 uses DirectX 10. If you experience spurious crashes after the update, then you should first of all check to see if there are updates available for your video driver. If that is all in order, then you may have to disable hardware acceleration in the browser via Options -> Advanced "Use hardware acceleration when available"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2017-05-23, 18:43

What would disabling hardware acceleration affect? Video playback performance?

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2017-05-23, 18:51

dxdiag shows I have DirectX 11. I have an Nvidia 8600 GTS.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-23, 18:52

Performance in general -- depending on what kind of processor you have.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-23, 18:53

Yes your card may support DX 11, but that doesn't mean that your driver handles it properly. It all depends on your driver.

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2017-05-23, 18:56

OK, I will disable hardware acceleration for a few days and see if that helps. Thanks!