Google maps display problem

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Google maps display problem

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-04, 15:15

There's a few things you can try.
In about:config, try these things in order (one at a time, restart the browser after each change, restore defaults after each try):
  1. Set webgl.angle.try-d3d11 to false
  2. Set webgl.disable-extensions to true
  3. Set webgl.min_capability_mode to true
  4. Set webgl.disable-angle to true
  5. Set webgl.disabled to true
Please let us know which point solves your issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-08-04, 15:42

FWIW, I do not have any Google Map issues using Pale Moon 27.4.1 on Windows 7 and have the following values for these settings (all default values):
webgl.angle.try-d3d11 to true
webgl.disable-extensions to false
webgl.min_capability_mode to false
webgl.disable-angle to false
webgl.disabled to false

Presumably based on something unique to a specific user testing changes from default values one individual setting at a time (to determine which one) might make a difference in some cases. :think:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-04, 15:56

Pale Moon Rising wrote:FWIW, I do not have any Google Map issues using Pale Moon 27.4.1 on Windows 7 and have the following values for these settings (all default values):
webgl.disabled to false

Presumably based on something unique to a specific user testing changes from default values one individual setting at a time (to determine which one) might make a difference in some cases. :think:
*sigh* I wasn't talking to you, PMR. default values are fine for everyone -- but for the user here, those obviously don't work, and asking to try these settings would give info on what exactly the problem is, and provide a potential workaround for old driver quirks.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-08-04, 16:01

The integrated gpu on that chipset (4500MHD/X4500 HD/4500M) is around 10 years old now; it is not natively compatible with DirectX 11. Hopefully, one of Moonchild's suggestions will work.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-08-04, 16:09

Moonchild wrote: *sigh* I wasn't talking to you, PMR. default values are fine for everyone -- but for the user here, those obviously don't work, and asking to try these settings would give info on what exactly the problem is, and provide a potential workaround for old driver quirks.
I didn't think you were talking to me, but due to the page change and absent any reference to anyone I mistakenly assumed this was a "general" post and not meant for a specific user, presumably for WestOne on previous page :idea: .... my bad :thumbdown: --- sorry. :oops: (I can be frustrating sometimes, I apologize for creating the confusion :roll:)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-08-04, 17:01

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Is there a reason you are using Pale Moon version 27.3.0?
My guess is because that was the current version of Pale Moon as of when WestOne posted that info (Sat Jun 03, 2017).
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-08-04, 17:14

Nigaikaze wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Is there a reason you are using Pale Moon version 27.3.0?
My guess is because that was the current version of Pale Moon as of when WestOne posted that info (Sat Jun 03, 2017).
Oops, good guess. :thumbup: :lol: (couldn't very well have a more current version if it's not available. :idea: ;) -- It's obviously not my day :D, I should have posted; "How about trying the current Pale Moon version." :think:)

WestOne
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by WestOne » 2017-08-06, 07:16

I installed version 27.4.1 (64-bit) as soon as it appeared. The problem persists, as was the case on the previous version 27.4.0 (64-bit).

I'll try your suggestions later today:
In about:config, try these things in order (one at a time, restart the browser after each change, restore defaults after each try):
Set webgl.angle.try-d3d11 to false
Set webgl.disable-extensions to true
Set webgl.min_capability_mode to true
Set webgl.disable-angle to true
Set webgl.disabled to true
Regards.

WestOne
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by WestOne » 2017-08-06, 11:47

Hi,

Good news! Every setting you suggested above, except no. 1, eliminates the street name mirror image.
(I tried one at a time, restarted the browser after each change, restored defaults after each try.)

For no particular reason, I now use no. 2:

Code: Select all

webgl.disable-extensions;true
Many thanks for your help! I can keep using PM :D

Cheers

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-06, 16:04

The higher in the list, the better the solution, so yeah, disable-extensions is the best solution in that case.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-08-06, 16:23

Moonchild wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:FWIW, I do not have any Google Map issues using Pale Moon 27.4.1 on Windows 7 and have the following values for these settings (all default values):
webgl.disabled to false

*sigh* I wasn't talking to you, PMR. default values are fine for everyone -- but for the user here, those obviously don't work, and asking to try these settings would give info on what exactly the problem is, and provide a potential workaround for old driver quirks.
Wow, I'm impressed Moonchild :clap:, even the order of the settings is important to follow (stopping at the first one that fixes the problem) so maybe it would be a good idea to sticky this as a "workaround" for those users with a similar problem that might have the same issue involving "old driver quirks". The issue has come up a few other times so it's possible that this info can potentially be helpful to others that have similar problems with Google Maps where the default settings (which normally do work) don't necessarily work due to issues with older drivers (which is that "something unique" I mentioned) :think: :thumbup: (apparently my drivers on a 7½ year old machine are okay).

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-08, 11:26

Changing this, webgl.angle.try-d3d11 to false was enough for me to fix my mirror image problem in google maps - very pleased, thankyou.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

sanchosd

Unread post by sanchosd » 2018-05-08, 20:00

Hi everyone.
Just started ti use PaleMoon Portable. 64-bit.
I'm using it at two PC.
1- Dell Inspiron 1525
2- HP Elitebook...don't remember model number, but quite expensive and powerful laptop.

So when I'm start GoogleMaps in browser, at Dell 1525, it starts to download parts of map, but then, stops, and I see something like "Establishing handshaking with...." in status bar...
That's all. I can't close tab, or browser, just to kill process.
More interesting, that online radio in other tab, continues to play music.

Maybe somebody know some advice?)
Thanks to all, sorry for my english.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-10, 00:34

A Dell Inspiron 1525?... That's... a 10 year old laptop.
I'm not sure what kind of hardware would be in that but it's very likely that it doesn't do WebGL properly and chokes.
Thew same advice applies: If possible, find an update for your graphics driver.
If no luck, try going through the steps disabling specific features as outlined above.

cosmo666

Unread post by cosmo666 » 2018-10-12, 03:07

Just want to report Google Maps Javascript API error using xUbuntu 16.04 PM 28.1.0 x64

https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... ing-errors