Google's New Sign-In Page

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Google's New Sign-In Page

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-05, 07:51

dataprep wrote:As I explained before, I am VERY familiar with Safe mode!! Rather than Safe mode, I much prefer to disable manually my two extensions.

I had tried all the debugging steps you suggested and more, Pale Moon Rising, before writing my post. The ONLY purpose of my post was to draw attention to this potential issue and see if others had experienced the problem. I was NOT seeking help to resolve the problem!!

I find your posts to be very condescending and pejorative.

p.s. Running Pale Moon in Safe Mode, the problem persisted.
I totally understand your preference to just disable your extensions and not use safe-mode since you have only two extensions (I just wasn't aware that you only have two extensions of course, now that I know this makes sense :thumbup:).

As to "NOT seeking help" to resolve your problem, if you go back and read over the entire topic it would appear to me this is what you intended. That said, I apologize for misunderstanding the goal of your topic.

You've mentioned that the "problem persisted" in safe-mode, so then you did end up trying safe-mode out after all. That is an interesting result, to have the problem get resolved by disabling an add-on, more specifically ABL for "accounts.google.com", yet as it turns out in safe-mode (which would disable the add-on entirely so would presumably do the same thing) the issue persists. :o

I can't explain how that could happen. :eh: Do you have any ideas about how this would occur?

Well anyway what counts is you have found the answer as to what to do to resolve your problem, so that's great! :thumbup:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-05, 10:47

Just my $0.02: Even in safe mode but also after disabling add-ons, pages and scripts can still be in the cache - loading from cache, it may still not work if you previously employed a content blocker even if it is disabled. You should always do a hard refresh after making such a change (Ctrl+F5) or completely clear your cache (if the cached incorrect content is on a redirect page like often employed with logins, then it may not work with a refresh).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-05, 16:08

Moonchild wrote:... You should always do a hard refresh after making such a change (Ctrl+F5) or completely clear your cache (if the cached incorrect content is on a redirect page like often employed with logins, then it may not work with a refresh).
That's good information to keep in mind. So would a "hard refresh" (Ctrl+F5) do the same thing as completely clearing cache? (i.e. does a "hard refresh" clear cache in the same way?).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

lpermt
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by lpermt » 2017-05-17, 20:20

Pale Moon Rising wrote:It is difficult to believe that the Gmail website is failing to prompt for password, but I guess that's possible but if so there would be a huge number of user complaints as Gmail has about 67% of all webmail users (we are talking about perhaps approaching a billion users).
I have exactly the same problem as the original poster, using Pale Moon 27.3.0 (32-bit) on Linux Mint. I can log in to Gmail with Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Vivaldi, but since a few days ago I cannot get past the first Google login page (user name) in Pale Moon.

I tried using the full email address as well as just the user name, I tried to enter it manually as well as with LastPass, I tried it with or without add-ons, and in regular mode or private mode. It makes no difference: when I click on the "next" button, the screen tuns low-contrast and the orange progress bar starts moving back and forth as usual, but then it times out and returns to the Gmail splash page without any error message.

I tried searching the web, but searches for keywords like gmail "pale moon" login stuck etc do not yield anything relevant as far as I can tell.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-18, 00:34

lpermt wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:It is difficult to believe that the Gmail website is failing to prompt for password, but I guess that's possible but if so there would be a huge number of user complaints as Gmail has about 67% of all webmail users (we are talking about perhaps approaching a billion users).
I have exactly the same problem as the original poster, using Pale Moon 27.3.0 (32-bit) on Linux Mint. I can log in to Gmail with Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Vivaldi, but since a few days ago I cannot get past the first Google login page (user name) in Pale Moon.

I tried using the full email address as well as just the user name, I tried to enter it manually as well as with LastPass, I tried it with or without add-ons, and in regular mode or private mode. It makes no difference: when I click on the "next" button, the screen tuns low-contrast and the orange progress bar starts moving back and forth as usual, but then it times out and returns to the Gmail splash page without any error message.

I tried searching the web, but searches for keywords like gmail "pale moon" login stuck etc do not yield anything relevant as far as I can tell.
Welcome to the forum lpermt,

Try using Pale Moon is safe-mode, first press ctrl+F5 to clear your cache (as suggested by Moonchild) then click on the Blue Pale Moon button (upper-left corner) and click on "Help" > "Restart with Add-ons disabled", select "safe-mode" and see if this makes a difference as far as logging into Gmail (when you exit Pale Moon the next time you launch the browser it will not be in safe-mode any longer).

If you are able to log-in using Pale Moon in safe-mode then there is probably an add-on that is interfering with the Gmail log-in, so you will then need to determine which add-on is doing this by process of elimination (disabling add-ons and attempting log-in).

Btw, my comment above that you replied to was to say that the problem would not likely be a Gmail problem but instead something involving the Pale Moon browser, i.e. Pale Moon Profile, pref settings or add-ons etc. The previous discussion was whether it was a Gmail problem, the fact that most people do not have a problem logging into Gmail using Pale Moon would suggest that the problem is unique to the users Pale Moon setup.

lpermt
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by lpermt » 2017-05-18, 17:21

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
lpermt wrote:I tried using the full email address as well as just the user name, I tried to enter it manually as well as with LastPass, I tried it with or without add-ons, and in regular mode or private mode. It makes no difference: when I click on the "next" button, the screen tuns low-contrast and the orange progress bar starts moving back and forth as usual, but then it times out and returns to the Gmail splash page without any error message.
Try using Pale Moon is safe-mode, first press ctrl+F5 to clear your cache (as suggested by Moonchild) then click on the Blue Pale Moon button (upper-left corner) and click on "Help" > "Restart with Add-ons disabled", select "safe-mode" and see if this makes a difference as far as logging into Gmail (when you exit Pale Moon the next time you launch the browser it will not be in safe-mode any longer).
Thanks. "Safe-mode" is what I meant above by "without add-ons". None of the usual methods makes any difference.

Just now I also tried to log in while watching the outbound traffic with System Monitor, and there is no trace of any packet being sent while the login form is busy; it seems that Pale Moon does not even attempt to send the form data.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-18, 18:26

On the first page this person (the OP that had the same problem, who isn't very happy with me :lol:) stated that doing this solved the problem:
dataprep wrote:By disabling Adblock Latitude (v4.0.1) on "accounts.google.com", I resolved the problem.
and also posted that safe-mode (no add-ons) didn't solve the problem which was explained by Moonchild this could be due to residual cache that needs to be cleared. Apparently, just disabling the add-on was the answer in the case I've posted above. Perhaps something like this may be of help to you has well.... :think: (because it does not appear to be a universal problem with PM the issue would presumably be something unique to something regarding you PM setup somewhere :idea:)

silvercloud

Unread post by silvercloud » 2017-06-08, 21:27

I'm using PaleMoon 27.3 with OSX 10.9.5 and I can't sign into gmail either. I tried restarting palemoon it with addons disabled, but it makes no difference. I can put in my email address (not just user name), put in my password ... and then all I get from google is the error message "Something went wrong. Try again" ...over and over and over.
I've browsed the web for solutions from google, or people out there on the web who may have figured out what the issue might be, but have found nothing that works.
...Any suggestions? Please?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-06-08, 22:19

My wife has a Gmail account. She can sign in to her Gmail account with no problems using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.3.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.1 (Serena) Xfce. Adblock Latitude is enabled too. And it doesn't matter if she's using her laptop computer or using my desktop tower computer.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

silvercloud

Unread post by silvercloud » 2017-06-08, 23:09

Oops. I'm a complete moron. I was using palemoon 27.0.3 not 27.3. posting.php?f=3&mode=reply&t=15621&sid= ... 0ebde3f456#
It worked fine when I opened the correct version.
Sorry 'bout the post.
Nevermind.