PM 27.3.0 XML Parsing Error: undefined entity Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
AnotherSignup

PM 27.3.0 XML Parsing Error: undefined entity

Unread post by AnotherSignup » 2017-04-29, 00:33

Just tried to upgrade to PM 27.3.0 and from the installer, when clicking Launch Pale Moon I get a window open with:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 1452, Column 7: <menuitem id="appmenu_permissions"
------^

I can't do anything else and have had to reinstall 27.2.1. Can I fix this somehow?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM 27.3.0 XML Parsing Error: undefined entity

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-29, 01:07

Even though language pack updates were pushed out a few days in advance and should otherwise have been picked up upon first run, it seems that for some reason this still doesn't always work.
Please install the latest language pack for your language in 27.2.1 (check for updates of extensions, that should pick it up) then upgrade to 27.3.0
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

balloon

Unread post by balloon » 2017-04-29, 04:16

I have encountered this problem on several operating systems.

When this occurs, you can not start Pale Moon normally. Please start in safe mode.
(Shift-click or palemoon -safe-mode)

When Pale Moon starts up, reinstall the language pack at the following URL:
http://addons.palemoon.org/language-packs/

Close Pale Moon and restart it normally.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-29, 14:37

Pale Moon 27.4 will include special smart recovery routine that should handle such issues.

AnotherSignup

Unread post by AnotherSignup » 2017-04-30, 01:17

Updated language pack to 27.3.0 and updated PM to same version successfully. Many thanks. And thanks also to JustOff. That's encouraging to know.

And thanks Balloon, I'll try to remember the safe mode. Useful to know.

Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2017-04-30, 02:30

Hi,

I ran into this too, tried to remove any hints to language packs in prefs.js with no effect. Finally I just removed prefs.js and reconfigured some settings.

I noticed that there were many references to addons that were removed long ago in prefs.js.

Might be a good idea to start with a new profile from time to time anyway.

Thanks,

Tom

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-04-30, 05:26

You don't need to remove the entire "prefs.js" file.

– Open the "prefs.js" file with a text editor (ex.: Notepad ++)
– Search for the line "user_pref("general.useragent.locale","
– Change the language (ex.: "fr") by "en-US"
– Save the file and quit.

Then Pale Moon will open without any issues. Once it is open, remove the old language pack and reinstall the new one.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2017-04-30, 08:26

Hi,

thanks, that worked!

My mistake was that I searched that file for "de-AT" and the locale was just "de".

Luckily enough I had a copy of my profile, so everything is working now.

Thanks

Tom

PS: That should be moved to general support, I use Linux so this is not windows related.

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2017-04-30, 15:12

Well, the same error as with the updates to 26.0 or 27.0. Nasty time stealing issue.
By major releases I always make a test installation in a virtual machine, but one really wouldn't expect that by a minor update.

This can also be a trap on computers with more than one account: Language pack has been updated on the own user profile, and afterwards PaleMoon gets updated without any problem. Later the second user, with a little outdated profile on his account, wants to start PaleMoon and gets that error message. He won't have any clue what suddenly is going wrong.
– This means, no PaleMoon update may be performed before the admin has ensured that all users of that PC actualized their PaleMoon profiles. :(

Please, find a way to avoid this problem in the future. It could be integrated into the addon-compatibility-check at the first start after the update and switch PaleMoon to the original language until the language pack is updated.