How to set default search?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
PCMasterRace

How to set default search?

Unread post by PCMasterRace » 2017-04-25, 06:23

In Firefox, it is possible to simply set a search engine as the default search for search queries entered in the address bar. I cant find that option in Pale Moon. Has this feature been removed or am I not looking in the right place?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: How to set default search?

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-25, 07:15

What ever search engine you have set to be used in your search bar (see screen-shot below, DDG is set as the search engine default) will be used for searches from your address bar (you have to have keyword.enabled pref set to "true", in about:config, to search from address bar which is default so you probably don't have to worry about that, as long as you're getting a search from the address bar already it's set to default).
In this example it will be DDG that will be used for address bar searches
In this example it will be DDG that will be used for address bar searches
If you do not have a search engine listed here that you would like to have, you can add additional search engine plugins HERE. Click on "Manage Search Engines..." (as seen at bottom of the above screen-shot) to get the "Manage Search Engine List" interface popup and then click on "Get more search engines..." at the bottom of the "Manage Search Engine List" interface to add search engine plugins that you see HERE on this page.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

PCMasterRace

Unread post by PCMasterRace » 2017-04-25, 07:50

OK cool, thanks. I ended up just removing everything except for Bing. Bing has a sweet rewards program for searches. The more you search, the more points you earn. I do hundreds of searches every day across my computer and my phone for work, so last month, I got over $20 in Amazon gift cards. Bing may not be the best, but it isn't horrible and nothing beats getting paid to surf the Interwebs lol.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-25, 08:20

PCMasterRace wrote:OK cool, thanks. I ended up just removing everything except for Bing. Bing has a sweet rewards program for searches. The more you search, the more points you earn. I do hundreds of searches every day across my computer and my phone for work, so last month, I got over $20 in Amazon gift cards. Bing may not be the best, but it isn't horrible and nothing beats getting paid to surf the Interwebs lol.
Actually I generally use Bing most of the time and frankly prefer this search engine (don't use the rewards program however, maybe I should :think:), will occasionally use DDG for privacy when I need it. Never us Google! (won't even list Google as you can see)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising