New User Comments

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Krammig

New User Comments

Unread post by Krammig » 2017-04-24, 01:10

As a new user having just installed Pale Moon it looks like an interesting products which I will explore further.

However, Not impressed to see that I cannot import Bookmarks at least from Firefox.

Moreover the - USE THIS TOOL - link in the following just results in a 404.
To migrate a Firefox profile (bookmarks, history, add-ons, etc.) to Pale Moon, you can USE THIS TOOL. This tool will copy the profile(s) from Firefox to Pale Moon. Please note that this tool is limited because of the increasing differences between Firefox and Pale Moon.
If, for whatever reason, the tool doesn't work, you will have to copy things manually.

With the well in excess of 100+ bookmarks I have in FF it is unlikely I will use PM as a primary browser if I am unable to import them.

The other issue, and I have looked a couple of time so excuse me if I missed it, but I cannot see where to set Google as the Search Engine ?

cheers

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: New User Comments

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-24, 02:22

That's old site content. Please let me know where this link is still present; I thought I had removed all occurrences already since the tool is (and has been) defunct for a while.

You can "export to html" from Firefox (from "Show All Bookmarks") and in the same location in Pale Moon import them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-04-24, 02:25

Moonchild wrote:Please let me know where this link is still present
It's on the Pale Moon FAQ page, under the "How do I copy my existing Firefox profile to Pale Moon?" question.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-24, 02:28

Thanks; I'll get that sorted.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-04-24, 02:34

@Moonchild, you're welcome.
Krammig wrote:I cannot see where to set Google as the Search Engine ?
The Google search engine plugin was removed from Pale Moon as a default search engine some time back. If you want to add it back in, you can find it on the search engine plugins page on the Pale Moon Add-ons site:

https://addons.palemoon.org/
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-24, 02:45

Here are some links on the topic of migrating bookmarks to Pale Moon starting with most recent:

1) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15397&p=111357
2) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12634&p=89397

Due to continued changes in FF methods of migrating can be impacted. At one time the migration tool worked but due to FF changes this is no longer the case. Other methods are discussed in the links above.

Addendum: I see others have contributed to the topic so you may not need these links (posting just in case they may be of help).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Krammig

Unread post by Krammig » 2017-04-24, 02:48

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Here are some links on the topic of migrating bookmarks to Pale Moon starting with most recent:

1) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15397&p=111357
2) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12634&p=89397

Due to continued changes in FF methods of migrating can be impacted. At one time the migration tool worked but due to FF changes this is no longer the case. Other methods are discussed in the links above.

Addendum: I see others have contributed to the topic so you may not need these links (posting just in case they may be of help).

Ahh sorry I must have just missed this reply. Thanks I will check it out.

cheers

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-24, 02:53

^ You're welcome, a post above in this topic explains in succinct terms what to do:
Moonchild wrote: You can "export to html" from Firefox (from "Show All Bookmarks") and in the same location in Pale Moon import them.
Some minor issues may be present using this method (i.e. re: metadata) however that may be covered in the other links I posted.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising