Non working videos on a site

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Octopuss

Non working videos on a site

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-04-20, 09:12

Is anyone able to get the player to even show up and play the video here ?

Terryphi

Re: Non working videos on a site

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-04-20, 09:20

For me the video player shows but the video does not proceed to play.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-04-20, 09:21

It does play in IE11, so I guess it's another PM incompatibility or something :( I know the videos did work a while ago (like a month or less) though.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-04-20, 14:26

Video showed but did not load until I double clicked in the box. Only had the rotating throbber.
Win 7 x64
PM 27.2.1 x86
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-20, 16:51

I wasn't able to get video to play and that was after allowing dozens of site requests, disabling uMatrix, whitelisting the site in uBlock, disabling bluhell firewall and agreeing to the websites prompt requesting the user to agree to the following "Using Economia a.s. You agree to use cookies to provide service, traffic analysis, and ad targeting." (which is a site I wouldn't normally use :twisted: ).
Off-topic:
I'll be clearing the 30 cookies (not all show up via PM security btw) for this site including the 14 super-cookies and its "tracking_uid" tracking cookie now that I had to agree to allow them in order to test. ;)

Addendum: After clearing cookies I know I'm okay because I get the "Using Economia a.s. You agree to use cookies to provide service, traffic analysis, and ad targeting." again, at least I'll give the site credit for letting the user know.

Also just a FYI, I'm getting unsecure site warnings FWIW:
site not secure.png
site not secure.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
CLICK ON VIDEO TO ENLARGE FOR BETTER VIEWING
CLICK ON VIDEO TO ENLARGE FOR BETTER VIEWING
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-20, 17:29

Here's an odd one, the videos are all now working for me from the start without doing anything (video just starts playing with no problems).

So since the top video does now work for me, as well as all ancillary videos (off to the side), this would suggest that problems with this website playing videos is perhaps not Pale Moon related :idea: since the videos are now all playing without any issues as illustrated in the screen-shot.
CLICK TO ENLARGE FOR BETTER VIEW
CLICK TO ENLARGE FOR BETTER VIEW
Off-topic:
This is after I clicked on link posted by OP with the intention to revoke temporary permissions that I had allowed (which were still established at the time it played).

And what's also interesting no "Using Economia a.s. You agree to use cookies to provide service, traffic analysis, and ad targeting." pop-up so was not required for the site to work, which is frankly both puzzling and concerning to me.

Addendum: after further analysis I'm of the opinion the "tracking" request is blocked by NoScript if requests are not allowed which perhaps addresses the concern above as I have verified I'm presently clean cookie wise which I'm relieved to know. I'm now convinced I'm back to fully blocking this tracking site with all previous permissions now denied and of course the website is non-functional again because of this.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-04-24, 13:37

And now it plays for me as well (without doing anything). Magic isn't it?

Czech news webs seem to be pretty broken on global level.
Step two: is anyone able to play the video here?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-24, 14:17

Works for me.
Please warn people when there's violent content in what you link to, though.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-04-24, 14:52

Octopuss wrote:And now it plays for me as well (without doing anything). Magic isn't it?

They should revert their websites back to Web 1.0.

Problem solved. :clap:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-24, 16:56

Octopuss wrote:And now it plays for me as well (without doing anything). Magic isn't it?

Step two: is anyone able to play the video here?
Works for me too, what an awful person.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-04-25, 09:50

I wonder why it doesn't work over here. I tried removing all cookies, deleting cache, disabling Adblock, and videos on that site still wouldn't play.

edit: Ha, it plays with brand new profile. What can be wrong about the regular one though?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-25, 16:27

Compare the differences between the two profiles regarding the "user set" status prefs (that would include a pref that has been changed presumably, changed by you or an add-on, that is causing the video to not work in your profile), what that specific pref is would be difficult to say, but comparing the differences between the two profiles regarding the "user set" prefs is how you would determine which pref it is that is causing the video to not work.

Addendum: Of course using specific text that would help narrow the pref down, i.e. "video", "media" etc., can help filter down to what that pref might be and compare those searches in regards to prefs with the "user set" (bold) status differences between the two profiles. Those that are different in your profile compared to the "clean" profile is what you would test as far as why the video does not play in your profile but will in the "clean" profile.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-04-26, 22:20

Pale moon would be a totally kick ass browser if it worked with videos consistently across various sites. I noticed the latest version now works with my bank (I assume due to bank updating their server etc). Still finding videos that don't work on various news sites - yahoo and washington post. It's a great fast browser otherwise. It does seem to keep on improving. I'll keep checking back.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-26, 23:57

tenseys wrote:Still finding videos that don't work on various news sites - yahoo and washington post.

I have no trouble playing videos on Yahoo or the Washington Post. These problems are connected to something in your own setup. If you want help to figure this out, please start new, separate threads for each of those sites with links to specific pages where you experience problems.