Embedded Youtube videos aren't showing up on forums Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fremdschaemen

Embedded Youtube videos aren't showing up on forums

Unread post by fremdschaemen » 2017-04-19, 22:50

Just started using this and have only had one problem - embedded youtube video on internet forums (that use the same software to this one) aren't showing up, I'm getting a white square instead, and when I right click it displays "movie not loaded". I have the shockwave plugin installed. What's going wrong here?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Embedded Youtube videos aren't showing up on forums

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-20, 00:45

Welcome to the forum fremdschaemen,

Do you have any add-ons that could be blocking YouTube?

Please post a URL link of a page with this problem so that it can be tested by members of the forum.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

fremdschaemen

Unread post by fremdschaemen » 2017-04-20, 11:09

I disabled every add on I had and tried it again and it made no difference unfortunately. I'm using Version: 27.2.1 (64-bit) on a 64 bit version of Windows 10 btw.

Here's an example, all the videos in there are just white squares for me.

http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic ... start=6480

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-04-20, 11:24

fremdschaemen wrote: Here's an example, all the videos in there are just white squares for me.

What version of flash do you have installed? Also, is the Shockwave Flash plugin set to "Never Activate"?

fremdschaemen

Unread post by fremdschaemen » 2017-04-20, 11:50

It's to always activate and is version 25.0.0.148. Just checked and there's no update to it at the moment. Perhaps I should try and find an earlier version?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-20, 12:57

Youtube is giving back 404 errors with these embeds. if you visit the URLs directly, they are being served.
So, this is something that youtube does - refusing to serve the videos as embeds on that site.

EDIT: Youtube refuses to serve the videos based on referrer. If I spoof the referrer to the target domain (youtube) or not send any referrers at all, then the embeds display videos.

This isn't a problem with the browser, it's youtube blocking the videos.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fremdschaemen

Unread post by fremdschaemen » 2017-04-20, 13:38

Sorry if this is a tough question to answer but why do you think they'd be blocking vids for referrers on phpBB forums? that was an example I had to search for as my main forum isn't publicly accessible.

hate to write it but there's no issue with this on other browsers, even if they have other more annoying problems.

A real shame if it's out of your hands as I'm liking absolutely everything else about the browser experience and :(

Certainly adds to my dislike of google.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-20, 13:50

It's probably because they mark anything that isn't "confirmed to be a supported mainstream browser" as a potential downloader application and therefore will block it. Only Google/YouTube can answer this question for sure though.

It's not dependent on the forum software, I think -- it'll just depend on where the forum is hosted.
You can work around this by setting your referrers to not be sent on image requests (although some other sites may not like this): in about:config, set network.http.sendRefererHeader to the value of "1" (2 is default).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

fremdschaemen

Unread post by fremdschaemen » 2017-04-20, 14:16

That does the trick for now, here's hoping it won't make other things go awry. Thanks for everyone who helped, and keep at it browser founder guy!

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-04-21, 00:35

I visited that page with Pale Moon and Firefox. On both, I use the QuickJava add-on which allows one to turn on the fly various elements and plugins like Java, Javascript and Flash.

With Pale Moon and its default configuration, embedded videos are shown as long as Flash is active. There is a tiny message at the bottom of each video saying that "the Youtube Flash API was officially deprecated on 2015-01-27". When videos are shown directly in Youtube, they appear as they should because of the special user-agent string used to access Youtube. That special user-agent string is not used when the video is embedded, because the user-agent string is then the standard value rather than the youtube-specific one.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-21, 02:27

Changing that setting to the value of '1' fixed it for me too.
It also works for embedded videos on Major Geeks that another user posted about last month: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15108#p109569

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-21, 02:45

coffeebreak wrote:Changing that setting to the value of '1' fixed it for me too.
It also works for embedded videos on Major Geeks that another user posted about last month: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15108#p109569
It looks like that setting that can be helpful for a number of video issues apparently.

That said, it however also makes me wonder if there may be other sites that are going to raise new issues because they may actually want the reverse, that is may require "referrers" to be sent on image requests which is value "2" (and the fact that the default value for this pref is "2" raises that concern as well :think:)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-21, 02:55

You can change the preference as needed, then reset it.

There's an extensison on APMO, Change Referer Button, that makes this easy to do.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-22, 09:23

coffeebreak wrote:You can change the preference as needed, then reset it.

There's an extensison on APMO, Change Referer Button, that makes this easy to do.
Referrer control is also part of Pale Moon Commander (still needs an update, haven't had the time, sorry)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-24, 11:50

fremdschaemen wrote:Here's an example, all the videos in there are just white squares for me.
This will be resolved in Pale Moon 27.3.0 by auto rewrite YouTube flash embed tags to use HTML5 player.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-24, 12:25

Likely, although it's a dirty and hacky workaround of a problem on YT. The problem may also recur if YT decides to reinstate the referrer checks on their HTML5 player that they apparently have on their flash player.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-24, 12:42

Moonchild wrote:Likely, although it's a dirty and hacky workaround of a problem on YT. The problem may also recur if YT decides to reinstate the referrer checks on their HTML5 player that they apparently have on their flash player.
Of course you are right, but then it will be cross browser problem so we will be not alone in face of Google the monster :twisted:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-25, 03:08

coffeebreak wrote:You can change the preference as needed, then reset it.

Thanks for the FYI regarding this add-on. :thumbup:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-25, 08:36

I've found that all the videos I've tried so far (testing many that have had issues on the forum) have all worked using the Change Referer Button extension to set network.http.sendRefererHeader = "0" (would possibly work the same with the pref set to "1" as well that has been suggested in this topic, that is either of the two non-defaults would perhaps be just as good an alternative to the default "2").