Looking forward in 2017 - Questions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pale as the Moon

Re: Looking forward in 2017 - Questions

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-04-30, 09:22

joe04 wrote:
Pale as the Moon wrote: But we agree that this browser shouldn't be released a year after Firefox 57, don't we? For this browser to have the best chance of success it will have to be ready at the end of the year.
No, it should be released when it's ready. That's entirely in the hands of Moonchild and team on this large, time-intensive porting effort. Last year's Tycho (rebase to 38 ESR while preserving pre-Australis GUI) was a long slog for them. I suspect this new effort will be comparable difficulty.
I did never put that into question. Just saying that strategically a release at the end of this year would be optimal. Of course this is not to say something half-assed should be released. My goodness...

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2017-04-30, 13:30

Something new, based on Firefox 52 ESR, without cutting support for Windows XP (at least for the first time)?
And all archeologists will be ours :lol: After all, they are still very much and they are still looking for a friendly shelter!
Although who am I kidding, because it still had to be done before, the train left :(
Or at least to return its supportcapability of installation to the current PM (resources to support, 2017, we all understand ...)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2017-05-01, 14:45

I don't believe it's only power users that will be interested in Pale Moon. I don't consider myself a power user of any browser. I just like to have my browser set up a certain way and I like to be able to do certain things with it. The advantage of the add-on concept is that I can obtain the functionality I want while someone else, who doesn't need that functionality, doesn't even have to worry about it, nor would he/she need to to dig through a maze of settings to activate or deactivate it.

Judging by the uproar in these forums when some cherished add-on fails to work with Pale Moon, I would say that there will be more people than you think looking for alternatives when Firefox finally pulls the plug on XUL. Our task then, is to evangelize - to make sure that Pale Moon is found by Mozilla's disenfranchised users. That's why we need to start putting Pale Moon out there as much as possible. Blog about it. Add reviews about it. Make sure that Google's search engine finds Pale Moon when someone searches for browsers that use Firefox add-ons.

Now is the time, people.
Moonraker wrote:Keep in mind that this transition will be far more painful than the transition Firefox 28 -> Firefox 29.
Then, were I still on Firefox, I'd be having conniptions with FF 57. The Australis move completely destroyed my interface and caused me to search for alternative browsers. I won't try to convey the thrill I felt when I found Pale Moon. I was very lucky to find it in a Google search and I'll always be grateful to Moonchild & co for their continuing support. :thumbup:

pintassilgo

Unread post by pintassilgo » 2017-07-22, 03:58

Why the new fork should be based on Fx 56 or at least Fx 55:
https://metafluff.com/2017/07/21/i-am-a-tab-hoarder/

New versions are bringing huge performance improvements, especially lazytabs.

What's the problem with Fx 55/56? I'm in Fx 55 (Developer Edition) with more than 70 extensions, the vast majority no-WebExt and I don't remember losing anything in the latest versions

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-08-19, 04:05

Off-topic:
Wow...! I can't help but wonder that Waterfox is finally, or hopefully paving their own direction success, and not destruction.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/blog/wa ... e-download
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-19, 06:06

Off-topic:
LimboSlam wrote:Wow...! I can't help but wonder that Waterfox is finally, or hopefully paving their own direction success, and not destruction.
If he intends to keep supporting extensions, he'll run into a brick wall if he keeps following Mozilla when they hit v57. Firefox won't have the framework anymore for support of anything but WebExtensions, so I'm pretty sure if Waterfox remains Waterfox (being rebuilds of Firefox-release) that the "add-on store" will be populated with only WEs since those are the only ones compatible.
Best make a new thread if you want to discuss Waterfox.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite