How to stop all intra-session disk access

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
johnb

How to stop all intra-session disk access

Unread post by johnb » 2012-10-15, 06:10

Hi, Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

I've combed about:config looking for any disk access that I can turn off. I watch my disk light and see it blinking during a browsing session.

I know that disk access is necessary at the beginning and the end of a browsing session.

I'm about to install SSD and want to limit disk access as much as possible.

Please help. Thanks again, John

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How to stop all intra-session disk access

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-17, 04:33

Contrary to popular belief, SSDs are not that fragile, and the only things you want to avoid are excessive and unnecessary disk writes to it (e.g. using a non-SSD defrag algorithm) to prevent unnecessary wear on the chips. Pale Moon doesn't write excessively or unnecessarily to disk, and the default way of working is perfectly fine, also for SSDs.

That being said, if you still want to stop all disk access from within Pale Moon in a session, you need to install a permanent/restoreable RAMdisk and put your profile and cache folders on it, as well as move your windows TEMP folder. Pale Moon uses the disk for many, many, many different things (browsing history, bookmarks, forms, passwords, cookies, cache, temporary plugin data, etc.); most of that is insignificant in the amount of disk writes, it doesn't thrash your disk.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

johnb

Re: How to stop all intra-session disk access

Unread post by johnb » 2012-10-18, 02:59

Thank you. Your help and all your, and your helper's, hard work in creating and maintaining Palemoon are much appreciated!